Why is Necroing/Bumping bad?

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

I don't understand why this is considered spam if the topic is still relevant. Do we really need another thread of the same topic?
100 Human Mage
Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

I don't understand why this is considered spam if the topic is still relevant. Do we really need another thread of the same topic?

If it's a really old thread, a lot of what's being talked about can change over time. If it's a recent thread and you're adding nothing to the discussion other than "bump" then it makes sense.
100 Draenei Monk
It depends. Are there newer threads on the subject? Necro is bad. Is the thread no longer relevant? Necro is bad. Are you adding nothing to the conversation? Necro is bad. Is it the most recent thread on the subject, it's still relevant, and you are adding something to the conversation? Necro is fine.
100 Night Elf Druid
12/18/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Blasco

If the topic is still relevant, contribute to the topic. That's not the issue.

Just posting "bump" or some random junk for the purpose of putting the topic back on the front page when nobody else is still discussing it, is where it becomes an issue.

If it's just a topic that you want to discuss but it's dead because nobody else wants to discuss it, you may need to learn to let go.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Bumping is bad because it doesn't add content - it's just forcing a thread up to the top again... but like capslock, it doesn't actually add information. It's just a cheesy gimmick to try and make a thread seem more relevant than other threads, with no actual justification that it is.

Necroing is bad because it destroys context. Posters often don't realize they are answering someone's four year old question, or why someone asked something that's four years out of date. It adds needless distraction. Often the matter is already settled, should go to another forum, or should have a fresh look and not just resurrecting a withered old corpse of a thread.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I can understand if the topic isn't relevant anymore, then it makes sense for the necro to be considered spam, but I don't see why bumping the thread for the sake of sparking further discussion on the topic is bad.

Even if the bump itself didn't add anything, I don't see how it's any less constructive than when people respond saying "no" or "deal with it" which aren't listed offenses.
100 Gnome Warrior
Because a lot of information about the game prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria is useless now. Resurrecting an old topic would be as dumb as reading a newspaper from a month ago instead of buying today's edition.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I can understand if the topic isn't relevant anymore, then it makes sense for the necro to be considered spam, but I don't see why bumping the thread for the sake of sparking further discussion on the topic is bad.

Even if the bump itself didn't add anything, I don't see how it's any less constructive than when people respond saying "no" or "deal with it" which aren't listed offenses.

It's because it doesn't really spark further conversation.

Further conversation is just THAT, it's more debate, more information, more arguments - more discussion.

Posting "Bump" doesn't encourage further discussion. It's a last-ditch effort.

It's (frankly) a kind of sad pathetic plea for attention by someone too lazy to make a real post.
100 Human Warlock

Sometimes, "no" and "deal with it" are the correct and current answers. A necro is, by definition, a dated answer.

And often the threads that get necro'ed are the ones that shouldn't have been posted in the first place.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
In some cases Necroing a thread can spread bad information.
43 Blood Elf Paladin

The irony is that your question has already been answered.

Sometimes you just gotta let go of a discussion. When to do so... Well, there aren't any clear-cut rules on that. Refusing to do so can make you seem stubborn, though. It's largely a perception issue.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/18/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Blasco
but I don't see why bumping the thread for the sake of sparking further discussion on the topic is bad.

because it gets confusing and if the thread is really old the information contained is often incorrect.

if you read a post about say issues in hellfire and Ramps and you have some questions about it ; it is best to make your own thread so people can address your questions not those of the poster who posted the thread 2 yrs ago
Edited by Ïrresistible on 12/18/2012 2:39 PM PST
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

Sometimes you just gotta let go of a discussion. When to do so... Well, there aren't any clear-cut rules on that. Refusing to do so can make you seem stubborn, though. It's largely a perception issue.

Imho a thread is dead when new arguments have stopped being presented.. and it has lapsed into personal attacks, debating the definitions of words, playing analogy-warfare, or people are literally saying "guh this thread is dead."
85 Blood Elf Mage
Generally speaking I agree with most everyone has put up for why necros and bumps are bad. On a rare occasion a necro can be rather funny though.
100 Night Elf Druid

Not ever known issue with the game needs to or can even have a thread on the first page of the forums. When you bump without adding anything new to the topic it just clutters up the forums. And if you do have something new to contribute to an old issue it's often better to just start a new thread.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
These forums have not been around for four years. Posts from the old forums were not transferred over to these forums. There's no way you can find a four year old question or something that's four years out of date on the new forums. I believe these new forums came into existence a little over 2 years ago. For a green texter, your knowledge of the rather recent history of the forums seems a bit lacking.

I'm thinking she just picked 4 years as an example...
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/18/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Skansk
Posters often don't realize they are answering someone's four year old question, or why someone asked something that's four years out of date.

These forums have not been around for four years. Posts from the old forums were not transferred over to these forums. There's no way you can find a four year old question or something that's four years out of date on the new forums. I believe these new forums came into existence a little over 2 years ago. For a green texter, your knowledge of the rather recent history of the forums seems a bit lacking.

And you seem to just want to bait and argue with Snow.. so how does that make you the better person
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]