Why is Necroing/Bumping bad?

(Locked)

Stop claiming people are putting words in your mouth, when you typed them.

If I typed them, then QUOTE them.

Paraphrasing me, for selfish ends, is putting words in my mouth.

ESPECIALLY when done to skew what I was saying.

First of all bump is a pointless post made just to bring a topic to the top. If the post does contain actuall information relevant to the topic it is not a bump.

You are playing semantics... trying to define "bump" by a definition I disagree with.

A bump can absolutely be a constructive information-laden post.

In fact, that's what the smart bumpers do. It's the dumb bumpers who just post "bump"

That's not a bump, and you said it was, then you say we'll have to agree to disagree over what the acronym "BUMP" actually means. Basically, we'll have to agree to disagree over your redefining of the word, because you played the, "You're playing semantics!" card while not knowing what the term actually means.
90 Draenei Shaman

Stop claiming people are putting words in your mouth, when you typed them.

You said

12/18/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Snowfox

Now if it is just repeating previous information the person already said or giving false information, then yes I would say it is a "bump" disguised a real post.

IF the post is providing new information on a topic that is still relevent than it is not a bump. An example would be a topic on a bug and the bug is not fixed for months or even years and then suddenly is fixed, posting in the same topic "Hey it looks like this bug is fixed now!" is not a bump and provides more context than a new topic would.
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

You said

12/18/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Snowfox

Now if it is just repeating previous information the person already said or giving false information, then yes I would say it is a "bump" disguised a real post.

IF the post is providing new information on a topic that is still relevent than it is not a bump. An example would be a topic on a bug and the bug is not fixed for months or even years and then suddenly is fixed, posting in the same topic "Hey it looks like this bug is fixed now!" is not a bump and provides more context than a new topic would.

That's all fine a good Knilya, but that's you just playing games with defining the words. You are trying to win some argument not by the concepts, but by pretending to own the definition of the words... by trying to strictly define the word to only mean what YOU want it to mean.

In PRACTICE...

Bumping a thread by making a productive post - is fine.

Bumping a thread by typing "bump" - is not fine.

The rest of that noise you are trying to bring into this? It simply doesn't matter.

I hope you have a good night as well. However, I'm not "agreeing to disagree" on this one, because you're accusing someone of using semantics just because you aren't familiar with what "BUMP" actually means.

BUMP was originally referring to posts that simply state, "BUMP," or in other words, "bring up my post." Over the years, people have seen other members claiming a post was "bumped" and took it to mean that any post which brings up an older topic is a "BUMP," and that's not the case.

Word usage evolves, I understand this. However, this is an acronym, not a word.

Acronym? Bump is a word that means to knock something from one place to another, which given the context fits in well with what bumping a thread is doing. I'd find it far easier to believe that "Bring Up My Post" is a backronym.

Not really, which is why that claim on wiki is not sourced, nor anywhere else that claims, "it's a backronym," such as knowyourmeme.com.

People who frequently visited websites in the early internet years, when the acronym was first used, know what it stands for. I realize though, that's probably less than 1% of the WoW population.
90 Night Elf Warrior
anything posted before the MoP pre-patch should be considered out of date.

I wish the forum mods were more proactive about locking old threads when a patch makes them irrelevant.

Not examine and judge everything individually, but some very simple rules. Anything not on the first page on patch day = locked. Stickied guides -> unstickied and locked, time for new guides.
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

People who frequently visited websites in the early internet years, when the acronym was first used, know what it stands for. I realize though, that's probably less than 1% of the WoW population.

Websites were not the early internet years. That was the internet's teenage years. I've been around since telnet, well before Gopher.. WELL before the web...

I'm sorry, but you simply cannot claim "bump" means to only create non-productive posts in order to move a thread to the top. It can also mean to bump with a constructive post.
Edited by Snowfox on 12/18/2012 5:00 PM PST

You said

That's all fine a good Knilya, but that's you just playing games with defining the words. You are trying to win some argument not by the concepts, but by pretending to own the definition of the words... by trying to strictly define the word to only mean what YOU want it to mean.

In PRACTICE...

Bumping a thread by making a productive post - is fine.

Bumping a thread by typing "bump" - is not fine.

The rest of that noise you are trying to bring into this? It simply doesn't matter.

The issue here, is that you claimed someone was using semantics, just because they disagreed with you on what "BUMP" actually means. If you had actually argued the other person's points instead of simply dismissing with, "Nuh-uh, semantics," then a big deal wouldn't have been made over your unawareness as to what the acronym meant.

Websites were not the early internet years. That was the internet's teenage years. I've been around since telnet, well before Gopher.. WELL before the web...

I'm sorry, but you simply cannot claim "bump" means to only create non-productive posts in order to move a thread to the top. It can also mean to bump with a constructive post.

I'm talking about when the internet was available in anything that even remotely resembles what we have today. You know, the 1990's, when "the internet" actually was readily available and finally used by regular people and actually took off.

You can keep arguing the meaning of "BUMP" all you want, I really don't care at this point. You've already made enough asinine posts to the thread saying, "I never said that," and the like, which you've been called out on. I really have nothing against you, but you are sticking to your stance, even when it's shown, by multiple people, to be illogical. Instead of just saying something like, "Hmm, never thought of that, maybe I'll have to rethink it," you insist of claiming everyone else is either putting words in your mouth or quoting "fragments" from your posts.

Just own up to what you say and acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, there are valid reasons as to why a thread would legitimately be necroed, instead of insisting it's only the exception to the rule, which itself implies it only happens rarely.
Edited by Elementaru on 12/18/2012 5:05 PM PST
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

The issue here, is that you claimed someone was using semantics, just because they disagreed with you on what "BUMP" actually means. If you had actually argued the other person's points instead of simply dismissing with, "Nuh-uh, semantics," then a big deal wouldn't have been made over your unawareness as to what the acronym meant.

It's not an acronym. It's a backronym. I reject your definition.

Furthermore, I reject your argument, because it was ONLY based on playing with word definitions.

It didn't address the actual topic, the issues, the concepts - at all.

It's not an acronym. It's a backronym. I reject your definition.

Furthermore, I reject your argument, because it was ONLY based on playing with word definitions.

It didn't address the actual topic, the issues, the concepts - at all.

Last I checked, this thread is about necroing AND bumping. You made a gross generalization about bumping.

"BUMP" meaning "Bring up my post" is not a backronym. There's a reason why that claim is unsubstantiated on wiki and other sites where it's made. Bumping, originally, referred to the topic creator posting something to bring their post up to the top of the list of topics.

Either way, whether your definition is right or not, you specifically stated that:

Bumping is bad because it doesn't add content - it's just forcing a thread up to the top again... but like capslock, it doesn't actually add information. It's just a cheesy gimmick to try and make a thread seem more relevant than other threads, with no actual justification that it is.

So what is it, "BUMP" only means "Bring up my post," or:

Your arguments are completely contradictory, Snow. Choose an argument and stick with it, or continue to flip-flop and pretend everyone else is wrong for pointing out the flip-flopping.
90 Draenei Shaman
12/18/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Snowfox
Bumping a thread by making a productive post - is fine

First you said the exact opposite a little bit ago.

Second, if you are going to define a "bump" as a post that brings a topic to the the top then any and every post is a "bump". If there is a general rule of "Don't Bump" then that means "Don't Post" and we have all broken it.

But the rule goes on to say:

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

This means that a "bump" post is made for the sole purpose of bringing the thread to the top. Not to add to it. Which is what I said originally.

It's like you are trying your best to agree with me without admitting I was correct.
Community Manager
Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

I don't understand why this is considered spam if the topic is still relevant. Do we really need another thread of the same topic?

Context is key. It does say: "bumping very old threads for no reason"

If it's a thread that is still relevant and you have something meaningful to add to, feel free to post. In many cases people necro old threads that, out of context, could cause a lot of confusion just because the content of the post is very old and/or contains what is now misinformation.
90 Pandaren Monk

If it's a thread that is still relevant and you have something meaningful to add to, feel free to post. In many cases people necro old threads that, out of context, could cause a lot of confusion just because the content of the post is very old and/or contains what is now misinformation.

This.

To those who like making false necro reports:

Read the post. Look at the title.

Think before reporting. Is it worth making a false report and losing your posting privileges?

I seriously doubt that Blizzard actions any account simply for misreporting what can easily be explained as ignorance or misunderstanding. That is, unless it's a repetitive behavior.
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
12/18/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Elementaru
Your arguments are completely contradictory, Snow. Choose an argument and stick with it, or continue to flip-flop and pretend everyone else is wrong for pointing out the flip-flopping.

It's clear you are struggling with some of the concepts here, so let me restate things and you can point out which part you aren't understanding.

"Causing a thread to move to the top" by making a post that says "bump" - NOT ok.

"Causing a thread to move to the top" by making a constructive post - IS ok.

Now, which part are you not getting?
90 Human Hunter

I don't understand why this is considered spam if the topic is still relevant. Do we really need another thread of the same topic?

This is the complete opposite of what a blue said a few weeks ago.

It was like "No. Do not bump a post if it's past the third page. Just make a new thread."

It's clear you are struggling with some of the concepts here, so let me restate things and you can point out which part you aren't understanding.

"Causing a thread to move to the top" by making a post that says "bump" - NOT ok.

Now, which part are you not getting?

The part where you said:

Bumping is bad because it doesn't add content - it's just forcing a thread up to the top again... but like capslock, it doesn't actually add information. It's just a cheesy gimmick to try and make a thread seem more relevant than other threads, with no actual justification that it is.

That contradicts the statement you just made. That's a generalization that every case of bumping is bad.

The only thing I'm struggling with is your self-perceived authority which you apparently believe alleviates you of being accountable of your own words. Also your constant arrogance and offensiveness in this thread.
Edited by Elementaru on 12/18/2012 5:41 PM PST
90 Dwarf Priest
It's a no win situation. people complain about how there are so many threads on the same topic, and yet, will be yelled at if they bump one.

Makes no sense to me really.
90 Gnome Warlock
12/18/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Diansa
Is it worth making a false report and losing your posting privileges?

You're not going to get actioned for reporting people that are bumping threads from almost 2 years ago.
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
12/18/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Elementaru
That contradicts the statement you just made. That's a generalization that every case of bumping is bad.

... and that's where I'm saying you are playing games with the word "bump"

So I made my statements intentionally to not use that word here:

I don't care about semantics arguments over the definition of a word. What matters are the concepts and how they'd be enforced. Do you understand that concepts? Do you understand the italicized text, purposefully absent of the word you are obsessing over?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]