Why is Necroing/Bumping bad?

(Locked)

100 Human Hunter
Hi everyone.

It's not a big deal.
12/18/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Bomdanil
Is it worth making a false report and losing your posting privileges?

You're not going to get actioned for reporting people that are bumping threads from almost 2 years ago.

And this is one of the problems. If people would, then this stupid, "Nice necro" *report* crap would stop, when the thread that was necroed is still completely relevant. As I said earlier, it's different if it's dealing with a class, or some facet of the game which has obviously changed. However, necroing a thread about something still relevant today should get those, "Nice necro!" idiots a week ban when they decide to be jerks and demean the "nercroer" for bumping a legitimate topic instead of adding to forum clutter by creating a brand new topic asking the same, unanswered, question.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Please don't lock this. I want to come back in six months and bump XD
100 Gnome Warlock
12/18/2012 05:48 PMPosted by Elementaru
However, necroing a thread about something still relevant today

If it was still relevant there'd be a thread on it that's more recent than the early days of Cataclysm, or from before Cataclysm in some cases.
12/18/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Snowfox
That contradicts the statement you just made. That's a generalization that every case of bumping is bad.

... and that's where I'm saying you are playing games with the word "bump"

So I made my statements intentionally to not use that word here:

"Causing a thread to move to the top" by making a post that says "bump" - NOT ok.

"Causing a thread to move to the top" by making a constructive post - IS ok.

I don't care about semantics arguments over the definition of a word. What matters are the concepts and how they'd be enforced. Do you understand that concepts? Do you understand the italicized text, purposefully absent of the word you are obsessing over?

I do understand concepts. Thanks for proving my earlier post correct about your arrogance, though.

YOU are the one who made the generalization of bumps being bad. Not "most bumps," or "bumps which don't post relevant content." No, you simply said:
Bumping is bad because it doesn't add content - it's just forcing a thread up to the top again... but like capslock, it doesn't actually add information. It's just a cheesy gimmick to try and make a thread seem more relevant than other threads, with no actual justification that it is.

This implies ALL bumps are bad, because they never add content.

Then, once people disagree with you, you start tweaking your stance.

Just stop it. Nobody is buying what you're selling. Just be an adult, say, "Sorry, I made an error," and move on with life instead of arguing that you never said what is written plain as day for anyone to read in post #7 on the first page.
12/18/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Bomdanil
However, necroing a thread about something still relevant today

If it was still relevant there'd be a thread on it that's more recent than the early days of Cataclysm, or from before Cataclysm in some cases.

Not always. In the story forums, it's not rare for a question to go unanswered, and then months later, someone else posts in that thread and necroes it. The difference though, is that people in that forum typically don't say, "LOL NICE NECRO RETARD!!!" and then report them. They just answer the question, or start a discussion.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
@Elementaru

Okay. Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree! Have a great night!
80 Night Elf Druid
This implies ALL bumps are bad, because they never add content.

Then, once people disagree with you, you start tweaking your stance.

Just stop it. Nobody is buying what you're selling. Just be an adult, say, "Sorry, I made an error," and move on with life instead of arguing that you never said what is written plain as day for anyone to read in post #7 on the first page.

You're the one who is having issues with the definition of the word. Let me link you a couple of them;

BUMP to bring up somebody's post typically by posting the word "bump" on a message board
Can also stand for
Bring
Up
My
In message board terms, to move a post to the top of the forum with a pointless reply, usually to one's own thread.

This is completely different from replying to a thread in a relatively constructive manner that then causes it to go back to the top. So, by the definition of the word Snowfox is correct. :P
@Elementaru

Okay. Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree! Have a great night!

So basically, instead of just owning up to what you did, we're going to "agree to disagree" about you changing your stance once multiple people have quoted you and said your stance is nonsensical?

I have no problem agreeing to disagree. It's different here, though, because you have become extremely snarky to me, and others, who have disagreed with you. Now you want to peacefully bow out after you have already insulted other people. I'm sorry, that's not how debates work.

I NEVER made a personal attack on you. I said your ARGUMENTS are contradictory, or that you have been contradictory in MAKING those arguments. In fact, several times, I have stated I don't have a personal problem with you, but your arguments seem to be all over the place, and I pointed out examples. You have made personal attacks on me, such as claiming I don't "understand" your argument, simply because I pointed out how you have changed your stance from what you posted originally (which is why I even replied to this thread in the first place). Instead of just saying, "Sorry, I should have made myself clearer in my first post," you have instead, insisted several times, that you never made these claims, that people are putting words in your mouth, or implied I'm just too dumb to understand what you're saying.

Any other poster and I would just ignore this from. However, you are an MVP, and you know that you should be held to a higher standard than the average person on these forums. I have stated in every post, exactly what my issue was with the post I was quoting, and in nearly every reply from you, you've slowly tweaked your stance as to imply and make me out to look like an idiot. Anyone who goes back and reads this thread in full can see the points I made, along with others, about how your posts flip flop about what "is and is not a BUMP" and that has nothing to do with whether either the term refers specifically to "bring up my post" or "posting in a topic that hasn't been replied to in a while."

Stop with the insults. Stop implying I'm just too stupid to understand your stance. Start accepting that sometimes, you aren't always right, and maybe, just maybe, when several people (I believe you said 5, earlier) are responding to you and disagreeing, maybe you are wrong and should own up to it instead of being dishonest as to what your original stance was.

You're the one who is having issues with the definition of the word. Let me link you a couple of them;

BUMP to bring up somebody's post typically by posting the word "bump" on a message board
Can also stand for
Bring
Up
My
In message board terms, to move a post to the top of the forum with a pointless reply, usually to one's own thread.

This is completely different from replying to a thread in a relatively constructive manner that then causes it to go back to the top. So, by the definition of the word Snowfox is correct. :P

Thanks for actually agreeing with me, while thinking you're disagreeing with me.

I already posted what "BUMP" meant. Snowfox is the one who disagreed and argued against it meaning that.

I also addressed why it doesn't even matter, as Snow has flip-flopped her stance several times now.
Edited by Elementaru on 12/18/2012 6:07 PM PST
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Snow has flip-flopped her stance several times now.

This is my stance:

"Causing a thread to move to the top" by making a post that says "bump" - NOT ok.

It is not complicated.
80 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for actually agreeing with me, while thinking you're disagreeing with me.

I already posted what "BUMP" meant. Snowfox is the one who disagreed and argued against it meaning that.

I also addressed why it doesn't even matter, as Snow has flip-flopped her stance several times now.

I read through the entire thread as well, and as far as I saw what Snowfox said did not contradict what I put in my post. I wasn't disagreeing with you, simply pointing that out.
100 Human Hunter
Would it be too much to ask if you both let go of this silly disagreement?
100 Night Elf Druid
That contradicts the statement you just made. That's a generalization that every case of bumping is bad.

The only thing I'm struggling with is your self-perceived authority which you apparently believe alleviates you of being accountable of your own words. Also your constant arrogance and offensiveness in this thread.

Here's the thing they're both bumps, one however is constructive the other is not.
Blizzard Employee
12/18/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Girlsgonewow

I feel like I should do something... but I'm not sure what. I have like, magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

Can people just stop being upset about how forum guidelines are interpreted? :) Or, if there's some specific question, maybe I can help clarify how we intend them.
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
12/18/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Bashiok
I have like, magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

Can you make cake magically appear?

Cake usually calms people down.
12/18/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Snowfox
Snow has flip-flopped her stance several times now.

This is my stance:

It is not complicated.

Okay, so what did this mean then?

Bumping is bad because it doesn't add content - it's just forcing a thread up to the top again... but like capslock, it doesn't actually add information. It's just a cheesy gimmick to try and make a thread seem more relevant than other threads, with no actual justification that it is.

So what is it? Is bumping bad(generalization), or is bumping sometimes fine?

Your first post in this thread states the first, the other post says it's okay in certain circumstances. Your refusal to acknowledge that you weren't clear in your first post, or your blatant attempt to demean people for just "not understanding" is what is causing this question. Like I said, just sit there and say, "I should have been clearer in my first post, I'm sorry for the confusion," and everything would be fine. Instead, what you've done, is insinuate people are ignorant because they responded to your first post (which paints all "bumps" as being negative), while you seemingly changed your stance mid-way through the thread without acknowledging that perhaps you could have been, and should have been clearer in your first post.

Nobody is expecting perfection out of you. It's okay to admit you can see how your original post was taken to mean what you didn't intend it to mean, and then amend it. What's not okay is to passive-aggressively attack the intelligence of others who disagree with your original stance, while at the same time, tweaking your stance to something that resembles theirs and then insinuating you never stated your earlier stance.

That's dishonest, Snow.
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
12/18/2012 06:26 PMPosted by Crepe
I have like, magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

Can you make cake magically appear?

Cake usually calms people down.

I prefer pie.
100 Draenei Paladin
magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

People having a fervent discussion is not grounds for threatening to ban.

I feel like I should do something... but I'm not sure what. I have like, magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

Can people just stop being upset about how forum guidelines are interpreted? :) Or, if there's some specific question, maybe I can help clarify how we intend them.

If you want me to cease with this argument, I will. However, I'm tired of insinuations of me just "not understanding," or that I "can't grasp the obvious point," while someone is back-peddling.

I have nothing against Snowfox, whatsoever. I just happen to disagree with her original assessment of the situation, and then when I, and others, pointed out how her original post was perceived, she wants to argue that we just "didn't understand" while tweaking her stance.

I think I've tried to be pretty civil in this thread, and I apologize if anyone has taken offense, as that wasn't my intent. I just wish for the same civility without deception of what original posts actually said.
100 Human Hunter
I think I've tried to be pretty civil in this thread, and I apologize if anyone has taken offense, as that wasn't my intent. I just wish for the same civility without deception of what original posts actually said.

Then let it be done.

Here, have a cup of egg nog.

Happy holidays.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]