Is healing just a string of stressful spikes?

51 Pandaren Shaman
It's been a loooong time since I've had a healing char. I remember leveling instances being laughably easy. I would only need a hot and the occasional gheal.

So I healed for two runs on this shaman a bit ago and it felt like I barely got through it. Seamed like the tank would go for a while without taking much damage, then all of a sudden loose 75% of their health. On top of that, my biggest heals did not feel nearly powerful enough.

Although I am now in dps gear, I was in int/spi gear when healing.

Is it like this at end game? I don't think my nerves could take the stress if this were an everyday thing...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If healing makes you stress out in an unpleasant way, it may not be the role for you. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable while playing, it should be fun.

Healing is definitely an ebb and flow type of action, different from the constant burn of DPS. Sometimes you will be maintaining with a hot or doing light DPS yourself, sometimes the ish will be hitting the fan times a hundred and you will have to think fast and bust out all the mana and cooldowns you were conserving in the downtime.

There is no dungeon so scary at level 49 that should cause you to panic, so that is kind of a bad sign to me. :P
Edited by Fluffy on 12/19/2012 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Undead Priest
Healing is all about finding your groove. Once you've mastered your style, things tend to smooth out. After that, it's just like any other role: learn the positioning, learn when to use your cooldowns, etc.
Reply Quote
51 Pandaren Shaman
12/19/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Fluffy
There is no dungeon so scary at level 49 that should cause you to panic, so that is kind of a bad sign to me. :P

That is why I was so shocked! lol :D I remember it being fun, but this was not very fun. It was more, "ok, this is cool...yada yada-ZOMG WTF just hit you?! And why is it taking so long to get you back to 100%?!"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Let me guess, was it a Brewmaster monk? If they are played well, you should be able to ignore them almost completely at that level. If they are not played well, you may as well let the hunter pet tank.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'd bet on Brewmaster too. I had one not that long ago who was taking massive ridiculous chunks of damage and being terribly insulting to a rogue while he was at it. He died on a boss and I told him he was squishy, so he showed us all but pulling a mess and ditching party. So, you probably just had a jerk bad tank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yes, healing is stressful. But it's overcome by the sick satisfaction of having a toons life in your morbid hands.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
At lv 49 there shouldn't be anything to stress over. Healing is all about managing your HoTs and Cd's if you can effectively do this at your level you will be fine. I'd like to think that it may have been the gear you were wearing, however at that level it wouldn't really make a difference. If you are really having a tough time healing at the lower levels you have two options you can try.

1) Ditch healing for another spec / class
2) Ask the tank to pull small mobs at a time, thus relieving some stress you may feel. As you learn your class you'll be able to handle more pressure.

Just my two cents on the topic. Hope it helped :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/19/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Legilas
At lv 49 there shouldn't be anything to stress over.

While this is generally true, if you are pugging you will occasionally get groups that do cause some stress, whether through intentional griefing or just plain idiocy. Maybe the OP just had some bad luck and got some bad groups. It does take a bit of practice to spot a crazy bad tank and put the blame where it should go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Was your run in Stratholme? I don't remember off-hand if you can get in there at 49, but it's right around that level. Some of the trash in there is packed close together, with patrol mobs walking in between. It can get messy if you have an inexperienced or inattentive tank, or if the tank is constantly tanking more than he's comfortable with because the dps are face-pulling extra packs and the tank is doing his job keeping them off you. One person not paying attention to where they're going in there can turn ugly pretty quickly. If you were in Stratholme, I'd recommend trying a different one before you give up on healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/20/2012 12:26 AMPosted by Amphibelle
Was your run in Stratholme? I don't remember off-hand if you can get in there at 49, but it's right around that level. Some of the trash in there is packed close together, with patrol mobs walking in between. It can get messy if you have an inexperienced or inattentive tank, or if the tank is constantly tanking more than he's comfortable with because the dps are face-pulling extra packs and the tank is doing his job keeping them off you. One person not paying attention to where they're going in there can turn ugly pretty quickly. If you were in Stratholme, I'd recommend trying a different one before you give up on healing.

Funnily enough, I was thinking Stratholme too while reading the op. In particular, Timmy. Not sure what it is, but he does something that just clobbers tanks. It's the first fight when I'm leveling a healer that I start really paying attention.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If it was a monk tank they weren't playing right.

I healed a Cata dungeon and when the tank left (thankfully, did not know the encounters at all and did not listen to tips) one of the DPS monks switched specs but let us know he wasn't very up on tanking yet. He did fine using his abilities and following the boss mechanics. Every once in a while his health would go from 90% to 10% in an instant. I could usually get him back up, but I remembered reading something that removes stagger damage. He checked his spellbook and found Restorative Brew and the rest of the dungeon went great.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Pug tanks will vary greatly in the amount of gear they have. And their ability to use skills to mitigate damage.

undergeared/0 cd used tank = spikey damage
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I started out healing on this toon turning Wrath as something to fill up my time between raid tanking on my Warrior. That toon was already geared for tanking and DPS, so there wasn't any reason for me to play him outside of popping into Ulduar.

So my intro to raid healing was farm/alt runs of Naxx, and a couple times in ToC for fights that my warrior needed no gear off, and the RL was willing to let me swap toons. Did no raid healing in Cata. But I got it in my head that after half a decade of raid tanking, healing would be a nice change.

Definitely more stressful than those farm runs, but easier on my head than tanking. Once you get to know when to expect incoming damage, it certainly gets easier. I actually still get a little tense when our tanks miss a taunt on Stone Guard and I've gotta quickly react to heal up, but mostly I'm just cruising.
Reply Quote
51 Pandaren Shaman
I ran two with this 49 in all BoA gear and int/spi gear. One was Strath the other was BRD. It was a while ago, but I think they both were brewmaster tanks.

I'll try again in the future. I remember it being fun, maybe I just got some bad runs...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If healing makes you stress out in an unpleasant way, it may not be the role for you. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable while playing, it should be fun.

Healing is definitely an ebb and flow type of action, different from the constant burn of DPS. Sometimes you will be maintaining with a hot or doing light DPS yourself, sometimes the ish will be hitting the fan times a hundred and you will have to think fast and bust out all the mana and cooldowns you were conserving in the downtime.

Couldn't have put it better :) Healing is not for everyone, although I would encourage you to keep at it. While it can be hard and frustrating at times it is extremely rewarding in both PvE and PvP when you play with competent players.

If you do decide it isn't for you at least you tried it and decided based on how you enjoy the game.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
"Healing is 90% boredom, 9% jumping around at random out of boredom, and 1% OMFG WTF JUST HIT YOU LIKE A STEAMSHIP OH GOD OH GOD HEAL FASTER HEAL FASTER GOGOGOGOGOOOOOOO FUUUUUUUU--!"

~Zakalakadaka, back in Naxxramas. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]