It wasn't the authenticator's fault

I added an authenticator on Monday morning, the 17th, and when I tried to log in I recieved the dreaded error 108. I was able to log in to the battlenet site but not the game. After posting in the forums and getting good steps to try and fix this error (including resetting passwords, deleting WTF folders, cache folders, and interface folders), I ended up removing the authenticator when the other steps didn't fix the error. I even scanned my computer using Microsoft Security Essentials and my computer came up clean. I re-added the authenticator and still recieved the error. I put in ticket after ticket and called on the phone only to find out that my account had been banned. When I removed the authenticator, my account was immediately hacked. I got my account activated over the phone.

If anyone with an authenticator gets an error 108 or 104 please do not remove your authenticator to see if you can still log in. In my case I did have 4 malware that my virus protection did not find. I had to get Malwarebytes, type in random info in the login and password (I saw this info/step in an earlier post), and run the malware program in order to catch the viruses. Hackers are sneaky lil' buggers...

Please make sure to scan with multiple programs if you get the login errors with an authenticator. It'll save you time and stress. This might not help everyone but I hope it'll help some one.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Anti-Virus programs are not made to find all forms of malicious attacks. That is why it is, and has been, the recommendation to run a good anti-malware program in tandem with a good AV program. The best one IMO is called malwarebytes and should be ran either before or after you do an AV scan, with the games login screen open and gibberish typed into the name and password fields. That is due to certain forms of malware not turning on until there is something there for them to steal.
Reply Quote
Exactly. I am a noob with AV since all I do is game on this computer. But being that others in my house use it, I now use both malware and AV. And you did help me tons when I first posted about my error problems, Flatspriest. I was just missing that one step of malwarebytes being used. =) Now my game is active and secure.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
12 Human Mage
Thank you for posting this. We are seeing several people, both here and on the D3 forums, affected by the malware issue. Sadly many are being given directions to take off the authenticator. Hopefully this gets a few folks to SCAN very very carefully before trying anything else.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
12/20/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Mirasol
Thank you for posting this. We are seeing several people, both here and on the D3 forums, affected by the malware issue. Sadly many are being given directions to take off the authenticator. Hopefully this gets a few folks to SCAN very very carefully before trying anything else.

I never tell anyone to remove an authenticator if they get an error when trying to log into their account.

Because there is a solution that keeps the authenticator on their account it just is a timely solution.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]