5.2 mage nerfs............

1 Human Warrior
Blizz why the nerf to glyph of fire blast? Your not only nerfing every spec but fire is the worst hit with it only hitting one additional target. What is the point of even having that glyph at all? It pretty much makes it useless. Fire is the lowest dps spec atm and the only advantage it has over arcane and frost is that you can spread dots to multiple targets. This will make fire and even less viable spec than before.

I'm tired of you guys nerfing the class, the rebuffing them and then nerfing them again. Make up your mind so I don't have to keep reforgin my gear, regemming it etc etc. Thanks.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Inferno Blast was recently changed to spread DOTs to three additional targets instead of two. With the glyph and if specced for Living Bomb, this would result in the somewhat confusing behavior of spreading Living Bomb to two targets and the rest of your DOTs to three targets.

Instead, Living Bomb will not be spread at all, and the rest of your DOTs will be spread to four targets.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Probably appropriate, given how much better LB is on multiple targets.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
You're only going to complain about inferno blast and not the mana cost increase to scorch and arcane blast?
Fire - Awful
Arcane - 5.2 awful
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
frost PVE is taking a nerf too.

''Freeze no longer does damage, and only provides Fingers of Frost on a successful freeze.''

No more fingers of frost procs because bosses are immune to freeze.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
12/21/2012 11:29 PMPosted by Lhivera
Instead, Living Bomb will not be spread at all, and the rest of your DOTs will be spread to four targets.

But I want Living Bomb spread by Inferno Blast...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Inferno Blast was recently changed to spread DOTs to three additional targets instead of two. With the glyph and if specced for Living Bomb, this would result in the somewhat confusing behavior of spreading Living Bomb to two targets and the rest of your DOTs to three targets.

basically its a NERF for any fight with 2-3 targets.

and its not a buff AT ALL. for fights with 4+ because we already work that way. So its just another fix that ended up becoming a nerf.
Edited by Hyperactive on 12/22/2012 7:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
14 Undead Warrior
why does blizz keep making radical changes to the mage spell style and system every damn patch? what is up with the inferno blast change?

mage aoe isnt even that great to begin with and now this seems like a nerf.have you seen hunter aoe lately ?its absurd.but yet you are going to basically nerf one the weakest aoe classes in the game?the mage? ....and why is the mage such a weak aoe class?,thats another discussion but i still cant figure that one out....

stop messing with everything every couple months blizz, folks barely "settle in" or get used to things and you go and change it 60 days later,

its really , really getting old.

sure balance numbers and all but stop messing with the way classes "operate",get a handle on your game for once that actually lasts a siginificant amount of time.

im getting sick of the the constant changes.i understand its part of the mmo landscape but its getting to be a bit much........
Edited by Peligro on 12/22/2012 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
12/22/2012 07:10 AMPosted by Hyperactive
and its not a buff AT ALL. for fights with 4+ because we already work that way. So its just another fix that ended up becoming a nerf.

It is a buff for fights with 5+ enemies, as currently it hits the enemy you are targeting and spreading to 3 additional people so that means 4 targets, with the glyph now it spread to 4 additional so a max of 5 but living bomb does not spread at all.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

It is a buff for fights with 5+ enemies, as currently it hits the enemy you are targeting and spreading to 3 additional people so that means 4 targets, with the glyph now it spread to 4 additional so a max of 5 but living bomb does not spread at all.

ya and it also became a nerf for fights with less than 5 targets = /

also gotta see how much of a buff that is gonna be factoring out the other bombs = /

it seems like its gonna be a small buff compared to the nerf to the other scenario....

usually not many fights that will give us 5+ targets...

maybe we will pick up frost bomb for those fights instead now
Edited by Hyperactive on 12/22/2012 7:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
You're only going to complain about inferno blast and not the mana cost increase to scorch and arcane blast?
Fire - Awful
Arcane - 5.2 awful

MMO-Champ showed a datamined change that wasn't reflected in the patch notes.

While the base mana cost of Arcane Blast was slightly increased, the mana cost increase per Arcane Charge was reduced to 75% from 125%, and damage from Arcane Charges was increased to 25% for all spells that benefit it.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
12/22/2012 07:38 AMPosted by Flintte
While the base mana cost of Arcane Blast was slightly increased, the mana cost increase per Arcane Charge was reduced to 75% from 125%, and damage from Arcane Charges was increased to 25% for all spells that benefit it.

The decrease from 125% to 75% is already live; that's just a tooltip update. I think the current value for the multiplier is 24% per stack, being increased to 25% per stack. If we subtract two seconds of passive from the cost:

Live:
0 stacks: 0 (0.5% with Invocation, 0 with ROP or passive IW)
1 stack: 0.625% (1.625% with Invocation, 0 with ROP or passive IW)
2 stacks: 1.75% (2.75% with Invocation, 0 with ROP, 0.45% with passive IW)
3 stacks: 2.875% (3.875% with Invocation, 0.875% with ROP, 1.575% with passive IW)
4 stacks: 4% (5% with Invocation, 2% with ROP, 2.7% with passive IW)
5 stacks: 5.125% (6.125% with Invocation, 3.125% with ROP, 3.825% with passive IW)
6 stacks: 6.25% (7.25% with Invocation, 4.25% with ROP, 4.95% with passive IW)

PTR:
0 stacks: 0 (0.67% with Invocation, 0 with ROP or passive IW)
1 stack: 0.917% (1.917% with Invocation, 0 with ROP or passive IW)
2 stacks: 2.17% (3.17% with Invocation, 0.667% with ROP, 0.867% with passive IW)
3 stacks: 3.417% (4.417% with Invocation, 1.917% with ROP, 2.117% with passive IW)
4 stacks: 4.667% (5.667% with Invocation, 3.167% with ROP, 3.367% with passive IW)
5 stacks: 5.917% (6.917% with Invocation, 4.417% with ROP, 4.617% with passive IW)
6 stacks: 7.167% (8.167% with Invocation, 5.667% with ROP, 5.867% with passive IW)

(And of course every bit of this is subject to change through the PTR.)

It looks to me like they're trying to force ROP to drop stacks a lot more frequently -- the net cost of a 5-stack cast is going up by about 41%, and of a 6-stack cast by about 33%. Ideally it should wind up where with Invocation you maintain full stacks for a high charge multiplier and a low average Mana Adept multiplier, and with Rune you drop stacks regularly for a lower average charge multiplier but a higher average Mana Adept multiplier, and hopefully they wind up putting out similar numbers but with different playstyles.
12/22/2012 08:15 AMPosted by Lhivera
The decrease from 125% to 75% is already live; that's just a tooltip update. I think the current value for the multiplier is 24% per stack, being increased to 25% per stack. If we subtract two seconds of passive from the cost:

Whoops, didn't realize.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
It looks to me like they're trying to force ROP to drop stacks a lot more frequently -- the net cost of a 5-stack cast is going up by about 41%, and of a 6-stack cast by about 33%. Ideally it should wind up where with Invocation you maintain full stacks for a high charge multiplier and a low average Mana Adept multiplier, and with Rune you drop stacks regularly for a lower average charge multiplier but a higher average Mana Adept multiplier, and hopefully they wind up putting out similar numbers but with different playstyles.

I'm getting really sick of the whole "we're changing this because we don't like the way you're currently using the spec" thing. If the numbers are too high, fine, nerf it. But these changes just piss me off.

If they are going to make changes to the way our class is played, they should at least start with the stupid parts that everybody hates: the level 90 talents.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Starting to regret leveling my mage for teh PvEs
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage

I'm getting really sick of the whole "we're changing this because we don't like the way you're currently using the spec" thing. If the numbers are too high, fine, nerf it. But these changes just piss me off.

If they are going to make changes to the way our class is played, they should at least start with the stupid parts that everybody hates: the level 90 talents.

they are. there is some talk of nerfing a few and buffing the others to make them all seem appealing and not cookie cutter.

Arcane Mages take Rune of Power because of the three talents, it is the only one that supports it well. Fire and Arcane can reasonably benefit from all three talents, arcane is shoehorned to play Rune of Power due to the lack of a decent amount of consistent mana regeneration on Incanter's Ward, and the half regeneration on Invocation forcing long periods of downtime channeling Evocation.

Nerfing Rune of Power does not magically cause the other two talents to support Arcane's playstyle. If the three talents reasonably support Fire and Frost, and none of them support Arcane adequately, what exactly is appealing about Arcane Mages?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
To me.. it sounds like they are trying to mix it up as arcane is rather boring to play on live. The problem is they aren't making it fun. They are just adding more complication without benefit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I quit my mage once I dinged 90 and experienced the full retardation of the talents at that level. If they change anything else before they remove/redo/fix those talents then they are doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
So patch 5.2 PTR updates applied to live means every mage fighting for a raid spot in progession raids should reroll warlock because they currently, and post 5.2, will continue to sit where fire mages were pre 5.1 and hotfix? Got it...transferring my lock to my raid server....you win again blizz. Is it about money or job security? ignore the lock thing too, please do not nerf another class for PvE in order to "balance" DPS. Buff the ones that are lower to balance so you don't ruin the "fun" of playing the game.

Seriously Lihvera? If PTR was actual used as a test of changes then why are ninja hotifx or patch updates needed period? They are not. Live is the test and we pay $15 a month to get jerked around.

Why can't they just say what it is.

We do not want mages to be able to play one spec for raid. We nerfed fire to being useless in PvE. Frost was already useless except on mobs. We will nerf arcane so that you can only play it the way we would like you to play it which is not the way you currently play.....we didn't know you could camp stack and scorch weave until live....not intended.

Fire = Only useable on cleave fights (Can anyone at this point afford to have 2 sets of raid gear? Good for you if you can.) Not reliable, weak burst without cooldown stacking (Try to solo kill 5 orbs on elegon without great rng....try to get great rng)

Frost = Only useable on mobs for burst AoE (Don't be a moron. Single target/boss fights in LFR or GTFO)

Arcane = Competitive single target if you can camp stack and scorch weave and stay in your rune of power (Being nerfed 5.2 so start planning on playing the game exactly how blizz would like to pigeon hole you into).

So the only viable way to raid as mage right now is arcane/haste MS with frost/haste OS(OMFG icy veins and noxxic say arcane/mastery what are you saying?). Sorry, the best way to raid with 1 set of raid gear at this point in MoP is arcane/haste with frost/haste and switching specs between mob and boss fights.

Every patch and hotfix that modifies a class/spec just reinforces for me that you do not know what you are doing....instead of "Patch 5.2 PTR Note Preview", I see "We needed a couple days off....and I really don't like doing my job so......here test this for us and we will change it soon. Thanks for the money!"

Oh and take "hopefully they wind up putting out similar numbers but with different playstyles" and shove it.....why is it hopefully and not we tested this we know the outcome will be same so we are implimenting this. Maybe we should all "hopefullly" pay our sub but maybe you will get the money.
Edited by Praven on 12/22/2012 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]