5.2 mage nerfs............

90 Human Mage
they hate us for our freedoms
Reply Quote
88 Orc Warrior
My guess is there testing potential dps in 5.2 , 5.3 and 5.4 level gear and realizing how crazy mages are going to be scaling and theyre trying to mess with mechanics so they wont have issues with this later in the expansion. Trying to make it so different classes/specs will develop on a parallel scale with each other as they upgrade gear. Instead of an arms warrior getting a 1% dmg increase from a new trinket and a fire mage getting a 5% increase, they'll each improve at a similar rate.

or maybe they just don't like mages cause they smell bad...
Edited by Ravenbeer on 12/26/2012 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
All the changes they are making makes perfect sense, in that they are trying to fix things that were broken as soon as MoP beta hit. I try to give Bliz credit where it's due, but I'm not convinced they know what they want out of the class. Everything they do seems to be a band-aid on greater issues, and the real changes that would put the class on the right track would be too large to do mid-xpac. Maybe they only have the development resources to tackle one class-overhaul at a time, and that went to warlocks. Maybe they simply don't want to address the real issues, and are OK with keeping the class the patch-job until the issues get out of hand. As of now, though, it would be nice for them to recognize that there's a lot of malcontent toward the class from the mage community on the direction and design of the class. The bland and restrictive talent trees, homogenized specs, gimmicky pvp, and rollercoaster dps changes are making for a pretty frustrating class. Right now, mages and rogues probably have the least cohesive identity out in today's game. What worked before is not working today. Needs to be fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
My guess is there testing potential dps in 5.2 , 5.3 and 5.4 level gear and realizing how crazy mages are going to be scaling and theyre trying to mess with mechanics so they wont have issues with this later in the expansion. Trying to make it so different classes/specs will develop on a parallel scale with each other as they upgrade gear. Instead of an arms warrior getting a 1% dmg increase from a new trinket and a fire mage getting a 5% increase, they'll each improve at a similar rate.

or maybe they just don't like mages cause they smell bad...

Well I surmised as much when they nerfed the fire multiplier from 1.5 to 1.3.
Lowering crit permanently overall would scale down fire dps over the entire expansion.

The issue in looking at this is we are looking at this with raidbots and that entails different
gear/crit/skill/raidcomps to really know what the real trends are. Not a way to rank dps by say gear level and such.

I am going to reserve judgement until the ptr is up and I can do side by side tests in the same gear with both sets of rules to see what the actual effects are.

If they go south, as I expect, I have some time to switch classes.
Reply Quote
This greatly aggravates me simply because it was a very unique thing that mages could do, and now, we are being blanded down further.

Dear Blizzard, stop messing with fire spec. It was fun once upon a time, and you aren't making the other 2 specs any more engaging to warrant me even trying them.
Edited by Seebach on 12/29/2012 3:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
the only nerf to mages in 5.2 is more dailies and more dailies and more dailies.

kidding aside:

what in blazes is with the rollercoaster ride of buffs and nerfs?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/25/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Mumrit
The class is dead to me.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

After hitting 90 it sort of went like this:

- nice! I got these new talents that make my damage go up
- hmm, for all this effort these talents don't seem to put me ahead.
- gg the buffs are hard to keep up in raid.
- $&@!?$ bs rng
- dang hunters/warriors burst hard on a pull
-nice, I'm pacing our warrior..wait, how is he doing like 30% more damage now. Oh yeah, execute.
- $&@&$!?!&$ rng

Combustion/ cm near fed

- ........yeah, I'm done.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I would like to draw a few parallels between an abusive relationship and subscribing to wow.
1. you don't know why you are still here.
2. when you start to do well they beat you with a (Nerf) bat.
3. They cost you money for something you are no longer enjoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Remember when living bomb didn't have a target cap? Remember how awesome that was? When Combustion was a noticeably powerful dps cooldown?

Why can't we have nice things anymore? =(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Wow talk about Necro!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I started playing what, 4.2? and i've been playing Fire the entire time. It took me until well into 4.3 to reach lvl cap, and during that time I thought fire was incredibly fun. The flavor is well presented, I even like the rotation. 5.0 was a really good time for me too, with the introduction of heating up proccs and inferno blast. Then, I went and downloaded recount... ouch. Then pandaland hit. Yay, mages are still fun! Then I Hit 90. Dear god those talents are awful. Then came the nerfs, and nerfs, and more nerfs. I can't even keep up any more, and even though I still like the playstyle (besides the 90 talents), I just can't do it anymore. I sit at or near the bottom of my recount, and my guild is constantly telling me to pick up the numbers. Hell, I can't even remember what spell to cast when, because it's been different from each numbered patch. Do I cast combustion now? Or after a pyroblast? Am I supposed to spam fireballs or scorchweave? (I do know what to do, these are just examples of how confusing it gets) I'm going to be leveling a survival hunter and playing it until Blizzard decides to make Fire a playable spec again.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'm raiding as Frost and doing pretty well relative to my peers in other DPS classes, so I can't complain too much.

HOWEVER; I find myself seriously struggling to enjoy myself due to a sense of impending doom. All I can hear and see tells me the spec I have finally learned to play well (by my standards, not the uber-gurus out there) is going to crap in raids in 5.2.

Switching specs for every patch sucks. It really does. Why rig a pure DPS class to have 1 or 2 of the 3 specs not solid in PVE - and switch which ones are every patch???

I thought the whole idea of the new Tier system was to avoid cookie-cutter "you must play this to raid or you suck", but yet I'm hearing that's coming.

I hope some of this is hand-wringing and hyperbole. Everyone tells me Arcane is uber on single target bosses and some here say frost is $hit, but yet I'm helping my guild get through progression at our pace and not languishing on the charts for now.

Please don't make me change my spec to do what I want to do.
Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Nice, cracked me up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
are acceptable. roll with it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/28/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Madlox
are acceptable. roll with it.

Thanks for the insightful and informative comment....I just dont agree with the severity of them.

And not rolling with it... so:P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Thanks for the insightful and informative comment....I just dont agree with the severity of them.And not rolling with it... so:P

we talking pvp or pve?
pvp they need moar

12/29/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Suprêmacy
nerf
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]