Why can you turn off PvP in a PvP server?

100 Undead Warlock
I found this to be the stupidest thing ever. I go to SW to kill people and I can't because they are all blue. Why are we even on a PvP server. Then to make things worse as you walk among the people highlighted in blue they can attack you? This isn't a specific example (because you can usually find some people with PvP enabled) or anything but you get my drift. I also know this flies in the face of a lot of the current banter going on in the forums because people are getting killed and they can't handle it.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
PvP has always been off by default in capital cities and certain low level zones. The major difference between PvP and RP or PvE servers in that regard is that PvP servers automatically cause you to flag in contested zones, while on RP/PvE servers, PvP flagging is always an option. Even on RP/PvE servers, entering an enemy city will automatically flag you, so you can get attacked (or "blue-flagged") by someone that is not yet flagged.
Edited by Palvarosa on 1/1/2013 7:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Your capital cities are your sanctuaries, the one place in the game you are safe on a PvP server - it actually makes sense...
Reply Quote
It's the same on PvE realm. You go into an enemy city, and you are flagged and they may not be. You just have to patrol until you find a victim.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Non-contested zones, capital cities, and sanctuaries have always been pvp optional areas on pvp servers. This give fresh toons a chance to get a few levels under their belts before they have to worry about other players.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I understand what they are supposed to be. I just really think its dumb. I understand sanctuaries where you can't attack anyone. But to be able to turn it off that I can't attack you is dumb. And then to be able to attack me whenever you want makes it even dumber.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Where have you been the last 8 years?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
LMAO
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
01/01/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Torakk
But to be able to turn it off that I can't attack you is dumb.

You can't just turn it off. Once you're flagged, you have to wait 5mins to become unflagged.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Because it's a PVP server.

What you're looking for is a PVE server.
Edited by Daltin on 1/1/2013 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't play on a PvP server, but I think the way it works is that as long as you're in an uncontested zone (controlled by your faction, obviously), you're automatically "unflagged" for PvP. Otherwise you'd have level 90's sitting in Elwynn Forest ganking the humans as they're created all day.

In addition, I know for a fact that if you're in SW and someone attacks you (because you're obviously flagged for PvP, as they would be if they took a trip to Org), they automatically get flagged for PvP as well, so you can attack them back at that point.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
01/01/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Tikaru
Where have you been the last 8 years?
Snort.
Reply Quote
PvP happened on a pvp server.

Except it wasn't PvP, it was QQ.

and by PvP Server, I mean the forums.
Edited by Watat on 1/1/2013 11:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
PvP happened on a pvp server.

Except it wasn't PvP, it was QQ.

and by PvP Server, I mean the forums.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Because it's a PVP server.

What you're looking for is a PVE server.

This makes no sense for this post

OP is actually mad because the other factions players can be unflagged in their own cities.
Edited by Sodclucht on 1/1/2013 11:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Pandaren Monk
01/01/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Torakk
I understand what they are supposed to be. I just really think its dumb. I understand sanctuaries where you can't attack anyone. But to be able to turn it off that I can't attack you is dumb. And then to be able to attack me whenever you want makes it even dumber.

This will flag them then.
Reply Quote
92 Goblin Rogue
We have a cargo ship chock full of whine on the forums already from people that can't handle life on a PvP server the way it is now. Can you imagine how bad it would be if there was nowhere safe?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
01/01/2013 07:03 AMPosted by Torakk
I found this to be the stupidest thing ever. I go to SW to kill people and I can't because they are all blue. Why are we even on a PvP server. Then to make things worse as you walk among the people highlighted in blue they can attack you? This isn't a specific example (because you can usually find some people with PvP enabled) or anything but you get my drift. I also know this flies in the face of a lot of the current banter going on in the forums because people are getting killed and they can't handle it.

Another moron who doesn't understand the complaints about ganking, coming onto the forums whining that blizzard has at least some sense in them to make certain zones where you can't just one shot lowbies and then run away.

Hint: It isn't about dying, it's about being an unavoidable time waster.
Edited by Spinnerdh on 1/1/2013 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
01/01/2013 07:03 AMPosted by Torakk
I found this to be the stupidest thing ever. I go to SW to kill people and I can't because they are all blue. Why are we even on a PvP server.

You're a level 90 and you want to go where all the level 5 to 50s hang out and kill them all - and you ask why you can't?

Because the game wasn't designed for people who want to attack players 40+ levels below them. OR for people who wanted to be insta-dead from players 40+ above them while trying to use the bank and AH. Not enough people consider that "entertaining" or "challenging" to make it worth creating an MMO game for them.

Next question, please.
Edited by Karix on 1/1/2013 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]