Consecration Change

100 Pandaren Monk
So I was curious about the upcoming changes to our consecration. The patch notes for 5.2 states that:

The base damage of Consecration has been increased by 789%, and it now scales less efficiently with attack power by approximately 11%.

While its scaling was nerfed, what are the current thoughts on this? I was surprised not to find any in depth threads. 800% increase in base damage seems like a very large number. Were paladins complaining about aoe threat or about consecrate scaling? What is the general consensus about this change are we considering it a buff or statistically are we considering it a nerf? What are the community thoughts about this change atm?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It works out to be a buff when you're below ~80k AP, and a nerf above that, but it's ultimately not that big a change either way. 789% sounds huge, but its base damage is only ~100 per tick currently.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/02/2013 12:07 AMPosted by Sabal
Were paladins complaining about aoe threat or about consecrate scaling?

A lot of Protection Paladins have voiced their concern that our AoE threat is lagging behind the other tanking classes. These concerns are mostly related to LFR and/or trash tanking, where snap-aggro is required for building Vengeance quickly.

On one hand, I welcome any change that improves our threat situation. On the other, I'm not entirely convinced that the upcoming buff is actually going to do much for us, due to the damage-over-time nature of the spell. Consecration's damage is currently so poor, it's near or at the bottom of our priority queue even on trash.

Ultimately it comes down to how substantial the buff is when we are "cold", with little to no Vengeance. A harder hitting Consecration might actually make the glyph worth using; right now I just don't even bother.
Edited by Ingsoc on 1/2/2013 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Yeah it's interesting. My main tank I play is monk, but I also have a paladin at 90 I tank with, as well as an 87 DK and 87 druid tanks I am leveling as well (i love tanking). When my monk goes into an instance and fights a boss fight with a ton of aoe say the first boss in monastery... my monk is ALWAYS at the top of the damage meter and usually pulls like 60k+. My paladin just ran it and even with righteous on I was at the bottom at like 36k. That is a HUGE disparity.

I've always realized my monks aoe was out of control because in LFR no other tanks really pull off me. Last night though I was in a LFR and I was grouped with a druid tank that was the first tank that would consistently take aggro from me. It gave me the impression druids might have pretty good aoe too although this druid was clearly pretty damn good. I think my problem as a pally tank is they gave me this seal that heals me and is better survival so I find it impossible not to use it because I'm a traditional tank that believes my job is to survive not to do mass dps. My ego is directly linked to survival not dps so it makes it really hard for me to turn insight off lol.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Its most likely to make it more effective when you dont have large amounts of AP from Vengance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You should indeed be using Insight in just about every situation; that's not an ego problem. Healing generates threat, after all :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/02/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Sabal
My paladin just ran it and even with righteous on I was at the bottom at like 36k.

I do 40k on a single target, even in Heroics, where I won't get that much Vengeance.

Personally, I think our dps is just fine. Hit/Expertise cap and then reforge to Haste. It makes a big difference.

As for Consecration, I think this change is fine. Consecration with low Vengeance hits like a noodle, and this should help remedy that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/02/2013 12:36 PMPosted by Ravicana
You should indeed be using Insight in just about every situation; that's not an ego problem. Healing generates threat, after all :)

Very true, but when every other tank class is pulling 10,20,30k more dps and beating enrage timers is important, I feel like I'm falling farther and farther behind other tanks.

On trash, I rush in and get one full rotation in, and then our other tank (Monk) walks in with one or 2 abilities and pulls all the aggro off me.

Holy wrath needs to have the same change as Consecration imo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/02/2013 12:56 PMPosted by Pallindrome

Very true, but when every other tank class is pulling 10,20,30k more dps and beating enrage timers is important, I feel like I'm falling farther and farther behind other tanks.

On trash, I rush in and get one full rotation in, and then our other tank (Monk) walks in with one or 2 abilities and pulls all the aggro off me.

Holy wrath needs to have the same change as Consecration imo.

Pray tell which classes are consistently doing 10-30k more dps than us?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
FYI - Paladin tanks have THE STRONGEST AoE DPS in the game currently.

Do any of you even know about world ranking? Try looking it up on ANY MoP boss fight where there's AoE tanking required.

Paladin TANKS pulling 1,300,000 DPS on H-Wind lord. Yes, that is 1.3 million, not 130k.

1.3 million DPS is insane. DPS classes are not even HALF of that DPS.

World of logs - L2RESEARCH
Edited by Suxxi on 1/11/2013 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
As it stand cons is inferior to blood boil and far inferior to keg smash, unless we're taking insane amounts of damage. The decreased scaling should mitigate the advantage on fights like windlord and hopefully will boost it's performance when we're taking less damage.
Edited by Mouott on 2/10/2013 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
TSP
Um, I'm pretty sure prot paladins have the highest DPS of the tank classes right now...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/10/2013 01:30 PMPosted by Amatarasu
Um, I'm pretty sure prot paladins have the highest DPS of the tank classes right now...

At high vengeance they scale very well, especially with AOE, but this change is trying to bring them more in line from both directions by buffing aoe at low AP and nerfing it at higher levels.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
FYI - Paladin tanks have THE STRONGEST AoE DPS in the game currently.

Do any of you even know about world ranking? Try looking it up on ANY MoP boss fight where there's AoE tanking required.

Paladin TANKS pulling 1,300,000 DPS on H-Wind lord. Yes, that is 1.3 million, not 130k.

1.3 million DPS is insane. DPS classes are not even HALF of that DPS.

World of logs - L2RESEARCH

The concern with Protection Paladin is that it has little to no snap threat in large pulls, not that its overall damage is too low. I can't speak for the class, but as someone who dabbles in Protection Paladin, I would certainly be willing to take a slight nerf to my overall damage output for more powerful on-demand AoE threat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]