Why Does Blizzard Have So Little Contact

90 Gnome Warlock
Hi.

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Do you have contempt for the community here, so you choose not to communicate as much as you have to? I noticed sometimes when you do choose to communicate, sometimes its through other outlets like twitter or reddit or elsewhere.

Another reason that comes to mind is, sometimes when i did see you talking here on the forums, some people twist their words. If it's a current hot button issue, if a blizz rep doesn't post exactly what people want to hear, they get even madder.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
I imagine they only respond when they absolutely need to and choose their words very carefully, since their posts are under close surveillance by several websites. Except when they respond to silly threads, but.. whatever.

They have to appear professional and make sure they are clear. Each post holds a lot of weight.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
lol i have read these forums enough to know that there is good reason blizzard doesn't talk directly to the community anymore..and i can't say i blame them lol if you can't figure it out by reading the forums then you never will.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Because anytime they give information that is subject to change and it changes the forums are full of people calling them liars and raging at them. So they don't bother to tell us things anymore unless they are pretty much set in stone.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
What sort of communication are you after?

They have experimented with reaching as many of as possible using different outlets. Not everyone visits the forums.

That's not contempt. It's attempting to reach a wider audience.

The forum audience can be quite intolerant, you're right. And every word spoken is invariably used against them at some point. The game will change over the years. However, a post from years ago will be brought up as "evidence" that their direction must remain in stone forever. It's a tough line to walk.

And honestly, there's 10 millionish of us and a few thousand of them. And most of them are working on the game or supporting us. There's just a few people who are tasked with talking with the audience. It's not easy for them.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/15/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Breell
I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Except they don't. On an almost daily basis Blizzards lead dev and various cm's interact with the community. There has been various Q and A's over the years as well.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
12/15/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Breell
why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

I've wondered this myself. I know lots of other games where the devs interact with the players on a daily basis. Hell League of Legends has over 35 million people playing it and their devs interact with the playerbase quite often.

12/15/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Crepe
They have experimented with reaching as many of as possible using different outlets. Not everyone visits the forums.

I would imagine more players visit the forums than visit GC's twitter page. If they're trying to reach a wide audience of wow players there is no better venue than these forums.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
They have been more active in the forums in the past.

During that time they were treated like trash by some players to the point where they just didn't want to talk to the community one on one anymore.

And now people complain and whine that they don't talk more to us and come up with all these reasons.

So apparently they can't win and looking at the general attitude of the forums sometimes it's amazing we get any responses at all.
Reply Quote
45 Pandaren Monk
Hi.

Do you have contempt for the community here, so you choose not to communicate as much as you have to? I noticed sometimes when you do choose to communicate, sometimes its through other outlets like twitter or reddit or elsewhere.

Another reason that comes to mind is, sometimes when i did see you talking here on the forums, some people twist their words. If it's a current hot button issue, if a blizz rep doesn't post exactly what people want to hear, they get even madder.

This forum is NOT for direct communication with Blizzard. They have stated this many times. If you have a question, ask them on twitter. Don't expect responses from them on here. This forum is for discussions for other players.
Reply Quote
88 Pandaren Warrior
With the attitude of most people around here, would you?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
12/15/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Ginx
I would imagine more players visit the forums than visit GC's twitter page. If they're trying to reach a wide audience of wow players there is no better venue than these forums.

That's fine.

However, there are people who will visit twitter who don't go to the forums. Which is why they use multiple outlets to try to reach us. Because using just one doesn't reach as many.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
well there is that people twist them words a lot. it also helps not that they sometimes talk down to us like a bunch of idiots, thus we illicit the proper response of anger and discontent.

...then there is the inaction that they often exhibit. It often takes 2+ patch cycles to fix a numbers issue for example when all it takes is a week or 2 of internal vs. real world stuff to figure out what could go wrong. And then they break something else, usually unrelated, in the process. Then we get mad and storm the forum about that.

"your feedback is valuable/this is not design by democracy" are contradictory. As it is, we should understand that they are the ones making the game for us to play, and what they do is none of our business really. Flip side, what they do IS our business as we're the ones paying their bills, and our responses to their decisions and suggestions on how to fix some things (on any forum or medium) should give a bit more sway in their design processes. Companies with more open channels know what their customers are wanting, and they get sheet done, and their forums complain worlds less than the wow forums do about problems that are years old and never looked at.

They don't really have to communicate with us. ...which is true. Game devs have notoriously been "wizard of oz"-like up until this century. ...but that's mostly because game devs built games for gamers, not every tom !@**%!*! and harry on the planet. So there wasn't much to communicate, not to mention ways to do so were limited in the past. If a game was good, then "yay! word of mouth good reviews which leads to brand loyalty!" such as mine to blizzard's until D3. if it was bad, we let the devs know by telling folks not to buy their game, or future releases.

some fault is ours though. we as a whole tend to "lobby" our problems and it catches on like a wildfire and frankly, as i paraphrase, "the noise to signal ratio is out of whack". with a population size and type such as ours, that is bound to happen. so what are they supposed to do besides get a team of super-moderators to police the forums to fix this?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It's the fact that armchair critics over analyze every post they make even when it's really just simple as what they say. The playerbase pushed them away. It's a shame to but...I think what should be done first is get more mods. Gets sickening sometimes how rude and immature people are on here.

Granted in the silly threads it's pretty calm but...yeah. Trust me...it WAS worse.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
They just held an event a few days ago I'm hoping they do it again in the future. I find they are listening especially to sophisticated/elaborate forum posts. Those seem to get their attention quite well!
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
12/15/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Crepe
Which is why they use multiple outlets to try to reach us.

The problem is none of those outlets are the official wow forums which doesn't make much sense to me.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Hi.

Blame the community.

Those of us who have been around have seen the changes over the years. We used to have a very open communication with the blues and devs. As the community has become more vindictive and hostile, the blues have had to become more "professional" in order to deal with the verbal abuse, accusations and really nasty behaviors that occur here.

It used to be a blast here with lots of fun and honest interactions, but it is simply no longer possible due to over sensitive flowers who are crushed at any hint of disagreement and who consider themselves "slapped in the face" over anything that they do not agree with and the overt hostility of some, who lack any obvious form of self control when something happens that they do not like.

Some of us remember the exit of a former blue who could no longer tolerate the degree of abuses that took place here on a regular basis. The bad attitudes make this a not so great job for those who sign up to communicate with us on these forums.

Really sad, but a reality of the verbal abuse that passes for discussions here these days.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/15/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Ginx
Which is why they use multiple outlets to try to reach us.

The problem is none of those outlets are the official wow forums which doesn't make much sense to me.

Well what would you prefer? Come on here and there's people everywhere insulting others and you or Twitter where there it isn't on a official forum where there is a smaller chance of non constructive criticism.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The 'other' outlets as you call them such as but not limited to Twitter and Reddit are very much part of the community. This thread Fansites & Other Resources - Updated Dec 5 by Zarhym illuminates just how vast and far reaching this community gets. Best of all? You are already a part of it.

The forums are part of a much larger community. We reach out to the community as much as we can as time permits wherever they may be.

Recent examples:

5.1 and Beyond: Developer Q & As
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8091053/51_and_Beyond_Developer_Q__As-12_10_2012

World of Warcraft Customer Support Q&A
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8134379/World_of_Warcraft_Customer_Support_QA-12_13_2012
Reply Quote
88 Pandaren Warrior
The 'other' outlets as you call them such as but not limited to Twitter and Reddit are very much part of the community. This thread http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933956493" class="bml-link-url2">Fansites & Other Resources - Updated Dec 5 </a>by Zarhym illuminates just how vast and far reaching this community gets. Best of all? You are already a part of it.

The forums are part of a much larger community. We reach out to the community as much as we can as time permits wherever they may be.

Recent examples:

5.1 and Beyond: Developer Q & As
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8091053/51_and_Beyond_Developer_Q__As-12_10_2012

World of Warcraft Customer Support Q&A
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8134379/World_of_Warcraft_Customer_Support_QA-12_13_2012

Eh, I still believe it's because we're jerks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]