Why Does Blizzard Have So Little Contact

90 Human Hunter
The 'other' outlets as you call them such as but not limited to Twitter and Reddit are very much part of the community. This thread http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933956493" class="bml-link-url2">Fansites & Other Resources - Updated Dec 5 </a>by Zarhym illuminates just how vast and far reaching this community gets. Best of all? You are already a part of it.

The forums are part of a much larger community. We reach out to the community as much as we can as time permits wherever they may be.

Recent examples:

5.1 and Beyond: Developer Q & As
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8091053/51_and_Beyond_Developer_Q__As-12_10_2012

World of Warcraft Customer Support Q&A
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8134379/World_of_Warcraft_Customer_Support_QA-12_13_2012

Do you ever get tired flapping those wings?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
12/15/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Skyelen
Eh, I still believe it's because we're jerks.

Not true. I less than three all of you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
12/15/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Rygarius

But...I only like you as a friend.
Reply Quote
42 Worgen Druid
12/15/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Girlsgonewow

Too bad he's not a worgen. :<
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/15/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Gunnathor

Too bad he's not a worgen. :<

:>
Reply Quote
42 Worgen Druid
I would totally be a fanboy of any future CM that uses a worgen avatar. I'd be like one of those annoying screaming teenagers watching their favourite celebrity live.

True story.

EDIT: okay, this is slightly off topic. My apologies! I'll just watch from now on.
Edited by Gunnathor on 12/15/2012 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Hi.

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Do you have contempt for the community here, so you choose not to communicate as much as you have to? I noticed sometimes when you do choose to communicate, sometimes its through other outlets like twitter or reddit or elsewhere.

Another reason that comes to mind is, sometimes when i did see you talking here on the forums, some people twist their words. If it's a current hot button issue, if a blizz rep doesn't post exactly what people want to hear, they get even madder.

Blame the community.

Those of us who have been around have seen the changes over the years. We used to have a very open communication with the blues and devs. As the community has become more vindictive and hostile, the blues have had to become more "professional" in order to deal with the verbal abuse, accusations and really nasty behaviors that occur here.

It used to be a blast here with lots of fun and honest interactions, but it is simply no longer possible due to over sensitive flowers who are crushed at any hint of disagreement and who consider themselves "slapped in the face" over anything that they do not agree with and the overt hostility of some, who lack any obvious form of self control when something happens that they do not like.

Some of us remember the exit of a former blue who could no longer tolerate the degree of abuses that took place here on a regular basis. The bad attitudes make this a not so great job for those who sign up to communicate with us on these forums.

Really sad, but a reality of the verbal abuse that passes for discussions here these days.

/signed

Tseric, gone but not forgotten.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I think the flapping wings are symbolic for "Im going somewhere"
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
They have actually been more social than ever. I dont remember them coming out with all these interviews etc in previous expansion. I dont even remember them doing Q&As in the past either and just this last thursday there was one with the CMs
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
One name comes to mind: Tseric.

Since that episode, the blizzard employees have been reluctant to come to the forums. And they only %#%#!%%*% foot around.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Simple answer: they are part of a corporation, not indie developers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
one word: immaturity

This community is. The kids that post in these forums are like tkd yellow belt students, they have just enough knowledge and intelligence to be dangerous, but without the self-discipline to control themselves (in this case, control their typing fingers).

As a somewhat older fellow, it seems to me that todays younger generation have a lot more "book" smarts and less common sense and civility/respect for others. That makes managing an online community such as our much more difficult. If we were easier to get along with, I bet we would see more blue on the forum.

Hi.

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Do you have contempt for the community here, so you choose not to communicate as much as you have to? I noticed sometimes when you do choose to communicate, sometimes its through other outlets like twitter or reddit or elsewhere.

Another reason that comes to mind is, sometimes when i did see you talking here on the forums, some people twist their words. If it's a current hot button issue, if a blizz rep doesn't post exactly what people want to hear, they get even madder.

Why does this generation of teenagers feel that they should be catered to sooo much?

exactly - a good question

but, on the other hand, from what CMs have said plenty of times before, they do a lot more than just read forums and post in them. And Developers probably have 2x as much to do. That could also be a factor too.
Reply Quote
8 Blood Elf Mage
Its a public company now. Any communication is considered PR and could cause an issue with the share holders. Blizz has to mind their manners.

It's funny that in every other business when a customer looks for an answer its given by the company in control of the product. Blizz seems to rely on those who want to be part of the company or those who are actual hobbyists of the game answer some of their questions for them. I never really understood why that's acceptable.

I seem to come across quiet a few threads of people asking for company reps to answer with no avail. Granted this is a different medium and its a different kind of company as well (I'm sure if i do get a blue to comment, that sentence will be used).

Should Blizz have to answer every question on the forums? I don't know. Do some feel shorted or unheard because of that? Sure. Can Blizz afford to have more reps to handle forum discussions and questions? Absolutely. I've seen the financials.

I think Blizz is being a bit more open lately, in regards to customer service operations, due to some of the hostility. I personally think its an effort to reduce some of that.

As a player and a customer one thing I don't like is how some things come across in text and I see a need for a bit more "customer service" training when responding to people who seem to be attacking Blizz for some reason or another.

There's a time and a place for a blue to respond and customer service agent to respond.

Regardless, I love the game and I think overall things are handled very well. I do see some holes and at no point do I remember Blizz ever saying they were perfect, but that's also no excuse not to try and should never be used as a fall back for when they just flat out screw up.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
12/15/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Rygarius

i less then decided by 3 when a member of the community bashes you guys. I feel really less then divided by three at where our community has come to as a whole rather then just the gamers.

I I want to give you guys equal to zero equals because you guys are the greatest!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I hate to admit it but I'm a bit judgmental in that I tend to feel Twitter and facebook and the likes are more for attracting fan/follower kind of stuffs and not something I'd like to use/frequent to get information. (Plus I don't like the interface there...)

Those maybe useful to post the conversation type posts that gets posted every few minutes, but the official Blizz communications don't have to be a live "chat".

I'd rather prefer to have one section on this official Blizz site/forum used for such communication.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Um, you must not play a single other video game. Blizzard communicates more than any other company or video game out there.

Stop trying to stir up trouble if you literally have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply Quote
8 Blood Elf Mage
Um, you must not play a single other video game. Blizzard communicates more than any other company or video game out there.

Stop trying to stir up trouble if you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

See, this is just a silly response. Your comment here is worthless if you chose not back your worthless statements with facts. This is an open forum and you treat someone as if they are stupid. That's not constructive at all.
Edited by Drymartini on 12/15/2012 4:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
56 Goblin Warlock
The 'other' outlets as you call them such as but not limited to Twitter and Reddit are very much part of the community. This thread http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933956493" class="bml-link-url2">Fansites & Other Resources - Updated Dec 5 </a>by Zarhym illuminates just how vast and far reaching this community gets. Best of all? You are already a part of it.

The forums are part of a much larger community. We reach out to the community as much as we can as time permits wherever they may be.

Recent examples:

5.1 and Beyond: Developer Q & As
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8091053/51_and_Beyond_Developer_Q__As-12_10_2012

World of Warcraft Customer Support Q&A
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8134379/World_of_Warcraft_Customer_Support_QA-12_13_2012

Excuses by Blizzard... "We don't want to bother, so we'll push it of on fans who care more than we do. Just keep sending in your $$ and don't bug us".
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Why does this generation of teenagers feel that they should be catered to sooo much?

Haha, yes, this is the first generation that has ever been like that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I still miss the days of GC on the role forums discussing various aspects of those roles....

Unfortunately people chased him off the forums with their relentless QQ, twisting his words and demanding his attention. /shrug.

Blues have to watch themselves or their words can get taken out of context to make them look bad.

Mind you.. Bashiok = best imo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]