Why Does Blizzard Have So Little Contact

90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/16/2012 02:38 AMPosted by Passha
Twitter , reddit are not good alternatives to the wow forums at all in any way .

This is a stating opinion as fact. Some folks don't like these avenues, so it makes them bad for them. Personally, I like them. In my opinion, the noise to information ratio is much lower and answers are clearer and more concise.

Most of us or alot of us dont want interaction and our concerns addressed on some so called other site , we want them addressed on the forum made specifically for the discussion of the game world of warcraft .

Again, stating personal opinion as fact and tossing the rest of us in your opinion as well. You have absolutely no way of knowing what "most of us or alot of us" want in regards to communications from Blizz, so please don't speak for us. Even in this thread, which is by no way or means remotely comprehensive, it's hardly "most" or even "alot" by my estimates.

There's a great chance Blizz doesn't' know either. But they see social communication avenues like Twitter and Reddit that they can use and in some ways are more free form than these forums and have greater controls at the same time. So they use them too.

Any where else is a waste of my time .

We want more interaction and questions answered on the wow forums . Not on fan sites we dont frequent , I guess that would make them safer though !

From what I've seen, this is the crux of the complaint. As I see it, more avenues are better. Do you get your real life news from one source?

One last question I would like to ask is why do people say Blizz comments in social media sites aren't "official" like the forums? In my mind, it's like saying talking to a Blizz employee by phone isn't official even though you just called the company, because you're talking over the phone company's lines.

If they're using a company account, it's as official as if it were on these forums.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
First of all, this isn't true.
Second of all, have you not read Tseric's rant?
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 04:40 AMPosted by Malefîcent
f they're using a company account, it's as official as if it were on these forums.

And there in lies the problem with one specific "Blue" who will practically do nothing BUT use his PERSONAL Twitter account anymore to spew forth all sorts of official information, (And is subsequently picked up by multiple fan-sites as OFFICIAL information) but when someone calls him out on on something, *cough* *Shaman nerfs* *cough* he hides behind the shield of "this is my personal Twitter account, go post in the forums"

Then practically in the next breath state that he never goes to the class forum.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/15/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Breell
I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

That's funny. I've been wondering, as Blizzard steadily increases their presence on media other than battle.net, why there is communication going on from Blizzard that I will never see. The recent QAs being an example. I don't and won't go to the majority of those sites. I don't do "twitter" or "reddit."

The more Blizzard uses sites that are not battle.net, the more people like me are left in the dark.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Remember GC tweeter we are just all not worthy of his time, even people that post nicely. We are just basically trash to them.. which on some level I can agree. But on another level to completely not care about anything said here is another thing.

I will never get twitter, its the most pointless site imo.

I dont expect them to reply to most of the threads here, but to completely ignore them is something different.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Hi.

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Do you have contempt for the community here, so you choose not to communicate as much as you have to? I noticed sometimes when you do choose to communicate, sometimes its through other outlets like twitter or reddit or elsewhere.

Another reason that comes to mind is, sometimes when i did see you talking here on the forums, some people twist their words. If it's a current hot button issue, if a blizz rep doesn't post exactly what people want to hear, they get even madder.

Blame the community.

Those of us who have been around have seen the changes over the years. We used to have a very open communication with the blues and devs. As the community has become more vindictive and hostile, the blues have had to become more "professional" in order to deal with the verbal abuse, accusations and really nasty behaviors that occur here.

It used to be a blast here with lots of fun and honest interactions, but it is simply no longer possible due to over sensitive flowers who are crushed at any hint of disagreement and who consider themselves "slapped in the face" over anything that they do not agree with and the overt hostility of some, who lack any obvious form of self control when something happens that they do not like.

Some of us remember the exit of a former blue who could no longer tolerate the degree of abuses that took place here on a regular basis. The bad attitudes make this a not so great job for those who sign up to communicate with us on these forums.

Really sad, but a reality of the verbal abuse that passes for discussions here these days.

Wait so who was the oversensitive flower in your story? It seemed like it was Tseric and the general forum fanboys but I couldn't tell where the story was going. Also, 'more "professional?"' LOL!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

If that was true then you would totally come and hang out with us in game.

My identity in-game must remain as a secret to everyone. Or, the Gnomes-In-Black will be coming to take me away.

Do you have your in-game Jimmy Olsens? Friends and family who know what you do and who you are on the messageboards as well as who you are in-game?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Remember GC tweeter we are just all not worthy of his time, even people that post nicely. We are just basically trash to them.. which on some level I can agree. But on another level to completely not care about anything said here is another thing.

I will never get twitter, its the most pointless site imo.

I dont expect them to reply to most of the threads here, but to completely ignore them is something different.
Someone responding harshly to people telling them that they should be fired or killed? Why, I never!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
For example, they didn't explain why they blindly hotfix nerf and buff fire mage
Reply Quote
18 Gnome Warlock

Why does this generation of teenagers feel that they should be catered to sooo much?

It is called tethering. And it all started with giving kids cell phones and pagers. Parents today feel the need to be in contact with their children every second of the day under the guise of safety. The feel that if they can not directly contact their kids they are not safe and hve no control over theri situations should anything arise. This creates an environment where the children need constant affirmation or confirmation. Without these kids are left uneasy about everything.

There are plenty books out there about it and it is not good for us in the long run. Kinda like business today using the "economic uncertainty" as an excuse not to do hire or invest. Business used to be the risk takes and were rewarded for taking risks. Now they want a sure thing and will not move forward unless there are guarantees. So while they could hire more and invest more and slowly boost the economy, they would rather lay off and stay put which does more harm in the long run.

In both scenarios, the need to have something confirmed before an action can be taken causes people to be like this and strive for that attention.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Blame the community.

Those of us who have been around have seen the changes over the years. We used to have a very open communication with the blues and devs. As the community has become more vindictive and hostile, the blues have had to become more "professional" in order to deal with the verbal abuse, accusations and really nasty behaviors that occur here.

It used to be a blast here with lots of fun and honest interactions, but it is simply no longer possible due to over sensitive flowers who are crushed at any hint of disagreement and who consider themselves "slapped in the face" over anything that they do not agree with and the overt hostility of some, who lack any obvious form of self control when something happens that they do not like.

Some of us remember the exit of a former blue who could no longer tolerate the degree of abuses that took place here on a regular basis. The bad attitudes make this a not so great job for those who sign up to communicate with us on these forums.

Really sad, but a reality of the verbal abuse that passes for discussions here these days.

QFT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
-
Edited by Fallkonia on 3/4/2013 6:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/15/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Rygarius
My identity in-game must remain as a secret to everyone. Or, the Gnomes-In-Black will be coming to take me away.

You ever have a moment where you add someone on real ID and they're all, "Hey, your real name sounds familiar. I swear I've heard it somewhere."

And then you throw a smoke bomb and run out the side door.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Have the blues considered some way to implement the various Twitter feeds onto the main forums?

We cannot integrate the forums onto Twitter as you do not control it, but as someone who does not use Twitter, it is a little bothersome that we get answers to questions on Twitter that never seem to make it here- some answers being a bit crucial into the insight of game design and may dampen a bit of the rage over changes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Have the blues considered some way to implement the various Twitter feeds onto the main forums?

We cannot integrate the forums onto Twitter as you do not control it, but as someone who does not use Twitter, it is a little bothersome that we get answers to questions on Twitter that never seem to make it here- some answers being a bit crucial into the insight of game design and may dampen a bit of the rage over changes.

It takes all of about twenty seconds to make a twitter account and follow them. Sure, in an ideal world everything would take place on official websites, but it's not like Blizzard has invented this idea. Most gaming companies use twitter and facebook. It's not their fault more of their playerbase use those tools than official websites.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This is probably the silliest thing I have ever read. Blizzard has a immense amount of communication with the community, the only other game dev that I think has a similar amount of community interaction was Bungie during Halo 3 (they're currently in 'blackout' mode while developing their new game). I see blue posts often, and not just technical posts, but fun, sociable posts as well.

This is nonsense.
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 04:40 AMPosted by Malefîcent
One last question I would like to ask is why do people say Blizz comments in social media sites aren't "official" like the forums? In my mind, it's like saying talking to a Blizz employee by phone isn't official even though you just called the company, because you're talking over the phone company's lines.

Because this is what they themselves claim.

Not sure if serious, but this is my private Twitter not a Blizzard service. I get to answer what I want. :)

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/270596177416830976
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I just saw this on the blue tracker and had to add my two cents, cause I really hate when people say things like this. I apologize if I'm echoing anyone else, short on time and didn't have time to read many responses.

I played another major MMO for five years. I won't mention the name, but it was a fairly good game with a large, loyal following. The company had next to zero communication with the community. Zero. Despite all the things I enjoyed about the game, any time a new update would come out, it just became more and more glaringly apparent that the designers were out of touch with the players. Unkillable bosses remained unkillable, broken abilities remained broken, there were even a few hilarious bugs/glitches/exploits that would go months without being fixed.

When I switched over to WoW, one of the biggest changes to me as an MMO player was how active they are with responding to the community. You can't go two days without not hearing something from them. I'll be the first to admit that I disagree with some of their approach here lately (as a longtime rogue that loves to pvp, right now I want to strangle the designers. 5.1 was a step in the right direction though.), but the point is they at least respond to us. You don't get that from a lot of other people. Don't take it for granted.

What I think the problem is is a problem unique to WoW. The game caters to such a large, varying amount of people that it's impossible to keep everyone happy. If they spend a large amount of resources preparing content for one type of the player, another type of player feels neglected. And even if they did manage to bring a little bit of everything to the table, you know what? People would still complain. The better something is, the more it gets critiqued. The more you expect it to be flawless. When it doesn't live up to that expectation, it's flaws seem magnified to you.

Tangent aside, my point is that there is a TON of contact with the playerbase. You may not agree with what they say, and you have full right not to, but they're talking plenty. If there's one thing I'd congratulate Blizzard on, it'd be being so in touch with it's community.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

It takes all of about twenty seconds to make a twitter account and follow them. Sure, in an ideal world everything would take place on official websites, but it's not like Blizzard has invented this idea. Most gaming companies use twitter and facebook. It's not their fault more of their playerbase use those tools than official websites.

I just find it odd that they'd have such an isolated system. You'd think they'd attempt to converge all of their information at one local point. It wouldn't matter if it were things like "Oh hey Mists is awesome come play!" advertisement stuff. But they make legitimate responses to game design decisions and it can have a real impact if only half of the playerbase sees it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]