Why Does Blizzard Have So Little Contact

90 Night Elf Rogue
The blues do attempt to communicate with us...all the time, in spite of the bitter, spiteful accusations, name calling and mean spirited comments made here regularly.

And yet they also have the power to ban anyone for any reason.

If someone is being such a big nuisance to them, they should exercise the right to use said power.

That still isn't an excuse to dodge the player base and I'm sure the blues know this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sites like mmo champ. Is the best example of how a wow forums should look. Constant moderator involvement, professionalism, and fast to act when rules are broken.
Constant moderation on a site (like mmo where I don't believe they are even paid)

Hilarity itself.

On MMOChamp (which is a great site), if a moderator makes a comment about the game, are they then subjected to endless rewording of their comment to suit every point of view, and variously demonised or placed on a pedestal for whatever interpretation people wring out their mangling of the original post? Or do people just accept that the MMOChamp mods have no power outside their forums?

On this forum, if a blue poster says anything (except the most frivolous comment) they're subjected to all of that and more. A lot of people view them as a direct line to the developers, and treat them either as unthinking cyphers or cynical profit-motivated stooges.

You cannot compare the two, because the two sets of moderators have vastly different roles in WoW. One is totally passive and known to have no influence, the other is interactive with the devs and can help change game direction.

The reason blues post a lot less than back in the WotLK days is that the forums are completely toxic to reasoned argument. Some get through, but most are lost within a few posts and degenerate into massively biased, illogical tripe.

The reason they communicate less is that the players here taught them that was the best way. This is what players want, and we know this from how they react to blue comments.

What other game has as much communication from the company as this one? What games have more? What is this comparison of "so little contact" being made against? What game is the gold standard? And lastly - why do players deserve such communication?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
What sort of communication are you after?

They have experimented with reaching as many of as possible using different outlets. Not everyone visits the forums.

That's not contempt. It's attempting to reach a wider audience.

The forum audience can be quite intolerant, you're right. And every word spoken is invariably used against them at some point. The game will change over the years. However, a post from years ago will be brought up as "evidence" that their direction must remain in stone forever. It's a tough line to walk.

And honestly, there's 10 millionish of us and a few thousand of them. And most of them are working on the game or supporting us. There's just a few people who are tasked with talking with the audience. It's not easy for them.

I think you may be a blizzard employee under disguise, as we know many of them play wow. I even heard told that Metzen is a member of AIE.

These are the kinds of comments that just come across as "if you dont agree with me...you must be a Blizz employee".

Please! Get over yourself.

There are actually some of us who believe they devs have, oh...I don't know....development
to do and that there are some who are hired to be the communication links here and some who take time away, when they can, to post here, or wherever the venue works.

I am amazed when devs do, to be quite honest, since a portion of this community certainly has done little but fire nasty verbal volleys at them for some time. (I'm being nice.)

We had our chance at more open communications and some, who were/are so over the top that it gets sickening, set the tone for the current state of discourse here and it is not getting better.

GC is a perfect example of how life consuming the opinions of some posters are, that they would wish him to die over a game. That is pretty twisted stuff.

There is a reason why WOW has the worst community reputation out there. We are a joke, a punch line, for a very large portion of the mmo player bases out there for what is bad about online gaming communities.

But then, maybe I am just another Blizz employee under cover. Since my opinions are not your opinions, there must be a reason rather than the fact that I just plain do not agree with the views of those who think their $15 a month subscription gives them open season abuse rights on Blizz employees, or any right to tell them how they MUST communicate with us.

One of the many reasons I spend way less time here than I used to: It ruins my ability to enjoy the game when I read thread after thread of irrational rantings and accusations aimed at people who are just trying to do their jobs for a shallow and ungrateful player base.

When posters get as intense as some do here...you have to wonder how this game can be so all consuming an addiction that it can drive them to become such nasty people. The other theory would be that they are nasty people in real life and this is just a vehicle for attention driven artificial ego inflation.

So much hostility, anger and much sadness here.

Of course, my expressed opinions are not aimed at everyone. The ones I speak of know who they are.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Who said it was justified? It's a fact of internet life and I expect the developers of this game to act like adults and ignore those few bad apples while still communicating with the rest of us. To completely stop interacting with the players on this forum because of a relative handful of trolls is frankly absurd.

I don't act like a child, I don't insult the developers of the game and neither do the vast majority of players on this forum.

But you are insulting people that insult the developers. You do insult, and you do act like you accuse others of acting.

I understand...I really do. It is so much easier to be a bully if no one else speaks up, isn't it? ....and the best way to shut them up is to accuse THEM of being the bullies to the bullies.

Yeah...huh?
/shakeshead
Edited by Kyraz on 12/17/2012 11:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

But you are insulting people that insult the developers. You do insult, and you do act like you accuse others of acting.

I understand...I really do. It is so much easier to be a bully if no one else speaks up, isn't it? ....and the best way to shut them up is to accuse THEM of being the bullies to the bullies.

Yeah...huh?
/shakeshead

It's not worth responding to people like that. They post something inflammatory and then get upset when people call them on it.

The forums are toxic. Players here have repeatedly shown they do not deserve any contact at all. The fact that Blizzard actually do respond fairly often amazes me. I'd be banning people from posting left and right for being fundamentally disconnected to reality.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
In my honest opinion people at blizzard are just busy with a lot of stuff so they dont have much contact with the players, but I do think they do listen but not as much as people think they should.

SOMETIMES I like to also think they are having sweet rave parties at their headquarters and doing awesome kung-fu moves at same time while thinking up stuff for new patches and stuff, but that's just me!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
There are actually some of us who believe they devs have, oh...I don't know....development to do

Then why are they posting on twitter?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
that has been a bad time for wow the lag on there server are as bad as ever .thay tell you it on your side .and after you have had tec come out and check your system .and put out a lot of money ,thay say o sorry it was us .and we fix it .but no still having the same trouble so you put in one more fix it and it start all over again way to go wow
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/18/2012 07:21 AMPosted by Lostsole
that has been a bad time for wow the lag on there server are as bad as ever .thay tell you it on your side .and after you have had tec come out and check your system .and put out a lot of money ,thay say o sorry it was us .and we fix it .but no still having the same trouble so you put in one more fix it and it start all over again way to go wow

If youre having lag it probably is on YOUR end. It may be your workstation, router, modem, ISP, WAN, or node somewhere between you and the wow servers. That is if youre talking about network lag. There is also FPS lag which can seem like network lag but its not.

I dont have any lag when crappy time warner isnt having issues.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/19/2012 06:28 AMPosted by Maligni

If youre having lag it probably is on YOUR end. It may be your workstation, router, modem, ISP, WAN, or node somewhere between you and the wow servers. That is if youre talking about network lag. There is also FPS lag which can seem like network lag but its not.

I dont have any lag when crappy time warner isnt having issues.

No issues on my end either.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Eh, I still believe it's because we're jerks.

I believe that, i've come across so many unpleasant people in the world...of warcraft. And lots of annoying noobs. You know how it is!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]