[A] PuG Life on Ravencrest?

90 Dwarf Priest
Our (friends & family) guild is looking into possibly moving servers, and given that Ravencrest was selected by Blizzard for their Guild Mentor program, I thought I'd stop buy these forums to ask about the state of PuG life on the server. How difficult is it for you guys to pug in 2-3 players for a guild raid of MV/HOF/TOES? Is there a vibrant all-PuG community? Are there GDKP runs?

Thank you, in advance, for all of your input.

-Angrende.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I didn't choose the PuG life, the PuG life chose me.

Edit to be more helpful: Pugging on Ravencrest is an.... art. You don't simply try to get a good pug, rather, you try to get the least sucky one. Sure, you'll be able to fill that spot rather fast at prime time, but don't expect much from them.
Edited by Theappfan on 12/18/2012 12:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
Findings pugs that can clear the latest content is a very tough challenge on Ravencrest.
This server is not the best server to pug on. Only a select few people know what the hell GDKP is and how it works.

In other words, I'd suggest finding another place, since Ravencrest pugs that are good are a very rare thing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Even longer answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Only a select few people know what the hell GDKP is and how it works.

I don't think anyone on Ravencrest actually uses the GDKP system, alt run or main run. I could be wrong, though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
GDKP died in wrath. Bitygity was running them at that time. I can't recall any other successful attempts at doing them as 10/25 are the same getting people for 25's would be painful.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Thank you. I've been asking around it doesn't look like enough people are clearing current content to warrant any GDKP setups. We haven't seen one on our server since 4.2... but I had assumed that was due more to our low population than anything else.

On our current server, if life interrupts one of my raider's schedules... I have to cancel the raid. It looks like many on Ravencrest have cleared MV and most of HoF... ToES seems to remain a challenge for most. If we came to Ravencrest, we'd be looking for puggles who can manage roughly 50k sustained dps (our standards are low, hehe)... Is that level of pug available?

Again, thank you so much for your candid responses.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Pugging a 50k DPS may be possible on ravencrest, just don't expect them to know mechanics outside of LFR and expect them to stand in things and do significantly less dps if the fight involves movement of any sort.

It's sad but true. In DS where you had a lot of time for experienced raiders to level alts and there was only 8 bosses in the tier you would get a lot of good players pugging on alts, not so much yet in T14 considering there's 16 bosses and people generally don't want to pug on alts, or their alts aren't 90/geared yet.

If your standards are low and you're actually looking for an interesting server outside of just raiding/pugging we have a pretty good server community in my opinion, come on down and join Ravenfail.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would say as Alliance you would have a much better chance of finding PuG raiders. Ravencrest population is skewed heavily towards the Alliance side. Also, of the top 10 raiding guilds based on progression kills, 8 are Alliance.

http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/ravencrest

From the Horde side of things, a competent and adequately geared PuG is almost impossible to find at this time. If we have more than one person out then we generally would have to cancel for the night but then again we are working on clearing HoF which is much less forgiving than Mogu'shan Vaults.

I've been on Ravencrest for over four years now and I have enjoyed my time here but your mileage may vary.

Elanarian
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
12/20/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Spacejam
If your standards are low and you're actually looking for an interesting server outside of just raiding/pugging we have a pretty good server community in my opinion, come on down and join Ravenfail.
curious about the "If your standards are low" comment. Most of us are professional adults with young children, so we do like to keep /gchat, vent, mumble, /Instance at a PG level. It would be nice to see an AH that is full with a variety of sellers (wouldn't you hate to see the same 5 seller names on every search?) and a chance to raid on a set night... even if you need to pug a few folks to do so. For raiding, we like to work with folks who are good-natured and eager to learn a fight or try out a new strat. We can handle wipes from honest mistakes, and we abhor nerd raging or loot drama. It is a game, after all, and all the big records have been set... all there is left for us is to play along, and hopefully loot purples.

12/20/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Elanarian
From the Horde side of things, a competent and adequately geared PuG is almost impossible to find at this time. If we have more than one person out then we generally would have to cancel for the night but then again we are working on clearing HoF which is much less forgiving than Mogu'shan Vaults.
That's kind of the situation we Alliance are experiencing on Nathrezim, only you guys seem to be doing much better of it. The entire server is low population, skewed in favor of Horde, and it is a PVP server. As many of us look to relax a bit while playing... we are looking for a potential new home. Times are tough right now for everyone, so we (as a guild) are still window-shopping, as it were, until we can move as a guild.

Thank you for your responses. Happy New Year!
Edited by Angrende on 12/26/2012 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I actually just transferred off this server after being here 5+ years so I'll be really straightforward with you.

If you're looking to pug runs consistently, Ravencrest is not the way to go. Sure you might be able to pug a few people, but often times it takes 45 minutes to an hour just to pug someone. Whereas you could simply transfer to a high pop server (Check out the top 20-30 ranked servers on Wowprogress) and pug stuff in minutes.

Furthermore, Ravencrest's server rank isn't that accurate anymore as like 3 out of the prior 5 most progressed raiding guilds have transferred off so you're left with mostly guilds that have just cleared 6/6 normal with a few HoF kills and those guilds rarely have geared/experienced alts. In actuality, if the guilds that transferred off were removed from the point calculation, Ravencrest would be a 200+ ranked server worse than yours.

Also, pugging a DPS that does 50k is not too difficult on Ravencrest, however throughout my pugging during this tier (on an alt run), I'd say 80%+ of the time, you'll get a 50k dps who doesn't know the mechanics at all and will wipe your raid consistently as they're just used to LFR. I mean, if you're pugging these people, it usually means they don't have a guild run to go to so they literally won't know what to do with arcane resonance on Feng, jasper chains on Stone Guard, totems on Gara'jal, mechanics on Spirit Kings. So they'll either be dead on the ground or wipe your raid consistently leading to a frustrating and time-wasting run.

In regards to the AH, it's mediocre in many departments with only a few sellers for the most part that gouge prices. However that also gives you the opportunity to make gold easily which somewhat balances it out.

I'd recommend simply pulling up wowprogress and picking a realm from the top 20-30 and going there.
Edited by Camirex on 12/26/2012 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
Comments like these make me sad for this server and what people think about it.

Do you really all feel like you have to be top 100 guild players, or the best at everything? There is a lot going on on Ravencrest if you really want to find a server with good people, though I can't speak for Alliance side.

We have a decent alliance of guilds horde side that we like to pug from - it might not always work but we can usually get people. You will find that having a good reputation (not saying that any of the people here did not, but still) will help, as well as being an active person in the server community.

If you are willing to put in a little effort, you might have a good time here. My guild is laid back and we raid casually, but it's worked for 5 1/2 years and I don't really have any plans to change anything any time soon. We do what we can, work around each other's jobs/time zones/family lives, and have a good time with each other.

I really can't complain, but more and more I feel like we might be an anomaly. :\
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Comments like these make me sad for this server and what people think about it.

Do you really all feel like you have to be top 100 guild players, or the best at everything? There is a lot going on on Ravencrest if you really want to find a server with good people, though I can't speak for Alliance side.

We have a decent alliance of guilds horde side that we like to pug from - it might not always work but we can usually get people. You will find that having a good reputation (not saying that any of the people here did not, but still) will help, as well as being an active person in the server community.

If you are willing to put in a little effort, you might have a good time here. My guild is laid back and we raid casually, but it's worked for 5 1/2 years and I don't really have any plans to change anything any time soon. We do what we can, work around each other's jobs/time zones/family lives, and have a good time with each other.

I really can't complain, but more and more I feel like we might be an anomaly. :\

It's really not about being "top 100 guild players". It's more of can the server actually support pugging? Now I'm not too familiar with horde side having only been on it a few times during peak times, but the times I was there, trade chat was basically dead with no pugging going on, no achievement runs, no pvp, etc.

He's looking to bring his guild over and if he does decide to and finds out there's really not much going on, he would have wasted $25-55. It's better to be blunt than to sugarcoat it and pretend there's going to be people that you can pug, or players readily available for content when there isn't.

There used to be a mix of guilds Alliance side that you could *easily* pug from during Dragon Soul. However, with the advent of 16 bosses, guilds transferring off and the fact that gearing up an alt is an arduous task, no one really has geared alts. Those that are available for runs on their mains tend to lead to frustration for the most part as they don't take the time to learn any mechanics.

There's only 3 guilds on horde side who have even completed 6/6 normal in MSV. Now I'm not saying pugging requires heroic modes cleared, or 16/16 normal, but with only 3 guilds that have finished 6/6 normal, do you really want to pug horde side and spend hours wiping on bosses? Having fun is a major part of this game and part of that is due to the community and your raid atmosphere, but the other part is not grinding needlessly against content that people can't down.

If you raid casually, you don't want to spend 2-3 hours of your raid time wiping needlessly to content. You can easily raid casually and still be extremely efficient. Also, if you raid casually, you're not going to want to spend 30 minutes to an hour before each run or even during it finding people to pug if you don't have a set team.
Edited by Camirex on 12/26/2012 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
We are not interested in becoming anonymous on a High Pop server. They have their advantages, but they also bring along headaches.

I've never played on an East Coast Server... what times do you see the most activity or plan your raids for during the week?
Edited by Angrende on 12/27/2012 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
This server is central, not east coast.

Cam, for some people it's more about the journey than the destination, and some are just happy to get in what they get in each week. Not sure if they are looking for that but that's all I am saying.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

Cam, for some people it's more about the journey than the destination, and some are just happy to get in what they get in each week. Not sure if they are looking for that but that's all I am saying.

That's a fair point. However, a large part of having fun in this game is being able to experience content and that requires consistent and efficient progression. Even the best raid atmosphere, the most awesome and vibrant people are going to gradually get dull if you're still stuck on the same boss for the majority of the time that you can actually raid.

In regards to Angrende, the most activity is typically around 8 central time each night. If you ultimately do decide to choose this server, don't say me and several others in this thread didn't warn you.

There's a reason Requiem, Overwatch, Ravenfails Finest, Monolithic, Blackomen, transferred to other servers (Just this tier!) and if you guys transfer here, you'll experience what many have stated in this thread quite soon.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest

thank you for the correction... I noticed it when I rolled my scout toon. AH looks good (remember what I'm comparing it to) and there was more activity... a few LFM announcements right around 8pm central... so not bad.

@Cam, going horde on Mal'Ganis is a different playing goal than what our guild is looking for. You have some great players on that high-pop server and pugging is like breathing. Gratz. Are you the same Cam that wrote the farewell message to the server when you decided to leave? Major guilds pushing for higher progression should move on to high-pop servers where aggressive recruitment is available. I mean, once you have the best your players available on your realm... if you still want to push harder or faster you need to look off-realm. I really do appreciate your candor, but progression isn't the only thing we are looking for.

Thanks, all.
Edited by Angrende on 12/28/2012 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Orc Warrior
Everyone's forgetting rule #1 of Ravencrest: It costs $50 to transfer here.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

That's a fair point. However, a large part of having fun in this game is being able to experience content and that requires consistent and efficient progression. Even the best raid atmosphere, the most awesome and vibrant people are going to gradually get dull if you're still stuck on the same boss for the majority of the time that you can actually raid.

In regards to Angrende, the most activity is typically around 8 central time each night. If you ultimately do decide to choose this server, don't say me and several others in this thread didn't warn you.

There's a reason Requiem, Overwatch, Ravenfails Finest, Monolithic, Blackomen, transferred to other servers (Just this tier!) and if you guys transfer here, you'll experience what many have stated in this thread quite soon.

ehh i remember when i first felt accomplished as a raider with my old guild, we wiped on the last boss of BWD many many times, but we still had fun and enjoyed ourselves, and we finally downed him and the feeling of actully downing a current tier end boss just felt amazing no mater if it had been nerfed or if it wasn't heroic

i missed thoes days, where even if we wiped we still had a blast, and if we killed a boss the feeling was just incredable, but then i got into this thing called pvp and ravencrest horde is not a real great thing for that

but all im saying is that some people just like to kick back and relax, have a good time, and no mater if you wiped was doing it on normal, you still had fun,

and i know for you this may not be the case for you, so i abid you adue cam, and maybe you will find the competition you are looking for on Mal'ganis
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]