Out of Date Prot Guide, please delete <3

(Sticky)

100 Human Warrior
12/27/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Samayael
Oh, might want to mention Shockwave's change in 5.2 under the talent.

Good call, editing now. <3
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Well, you beat my guess of this guide getting up in time for the next expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Hey, rly good guide here, just a quick question about flasks and what not. I've been using The Monk and Mantid Elixer's (Mastery and Armor) instead of the Stamina Flask, just wondering if the Stam or strength flask is actually more beneficial to me than Mastery?

Thanks, Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Sparklefever/Kangarooster, for his incessant yelling at me to get stuff done <3

Are you saying I didn't yell at you?

*Runs off to cry in a corner*
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Awesome guide, thanks dude!

STICKY PLEASE!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Hey, rly good guide here, just a quick question about flasks and what not. I've been using The Monk and Mantid Elixer's (Mastery and Armor) instead of the Stamina Flask, just wondering if the Stam or strength flask is actually more beneficial to me than Mastery?

Thanks, Sticky requested.

Just looking at the Mantid Elixir now (Nobody on Proudmoore's selling the Monk Elixir right now, but 750 Mastery is 750 Mastery), so I'll give you my impressions right now:

Right now, in my current gear my armor level sits at 63,579, and reduces physical damage by 57.89%. Drinking the flask, I'm at 65,829 and a damage reduction of 58.73%. Your gear's different, but we're not at dissimilar levels of armor, so it's not going to make a marginally larger difference for you than it is for me.

At less than 1% difference of armor, I'd say it's value isn't really appreciable when compared to the Stamina flask, at least on progression encounters. On encounters that either have hard DPS requirements you're just shy of missing, or farm content, Strength's probably a better option, as it not only boosts your AP (which tangentially, slightly boosts Shield Barrier's absorb amount) but also your Parry chance.

Mastery sounds more compelling to me than the Mantid Elixir, but I still say Stamina or Strength is your best bet.

Sparklefever/Kangarooster, for his incessant yelling at me to get stuff done <3

Are you saying I didn't yell at you?

*Runs off to cry in a corner*

<3

Thanks for the kind words, guys!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thanks for this. Sticky requested.

One minor typo here. "Out" should be "our" I think.

I. [ABL1] Abilities

Though many of out abilities

In the major glyph section (Heavy Repercussions), I think Block and Slam need to be reversed.

12/26/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Lowmaine
Heavy Repercussions – Makes Shield Block hit harder during Shield Slam.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
Hi Lowmaine,

The guide looks really good, and certainly has all the thumbs up from the usual suspects around here! I have a question regarding the weapons enchant portion.

I was under the impression that with the recent 5.1* changes to the PPM system that Colossus was now considered an excellent enchant for overall damage smoothing. (I got this from Theck's Tankadin Blog) Please keep in mind, that I personally have done no math at all regarding this enchant for Warr's, but would like to hear the community's thoughts about this.

Also, why no love for the old school Mighty Rage Potion? I've been using these for years now, and with a potential execute phase, they are really nice to have around! They can also be useful on pulls for initial Shield Blocks while everyone is getting settled, an emergency Shield Barrier, or for burning a couple Heroic Strikes into a boss.

*edit
Edited by Nerdrage on 12/27/2012 11:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Sticky requested. Nice work.
Reply Quote
99 Pandaren Warrior
Just noticed, he remembered to edit out the google docs conversation about goblin rocket racial, was hoping he'd forget :(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Pretty sure i yelled at Lowmaine more than anyone to get this done, and not be banned. Yeah, I'm amazing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
Hi, first off this was a great guide and I'm already hoping to try out some new things on my warrior because of what I've learned. I tank on my warrior for fun with a very casual guild, but I have not been enjoying it as much as I could be because I feel like I am much squisher than my co-tank (dk).

I think I do fine on my rotation as far as rage generation goes (I do stam>hit>exp>mastery) but in any given fight I take only about 5-8% less damage than the dk, while he usually does about double my healing to make up that damage. We are very similarly geared (ilvl wise), and I think my problem is either I don't use the appropriate barrier/block or I just feel squisher than I am.

Are there any addons you can reccomend for help choosing between barrier and block, or any webpages you can show me that can shed some light on using barrier/block correctly fight by fight?

On stone guard I only use barrier, and on garajal I only use block and I use it just before shadowy attack. Other than that, I generally use barrier unless it just feels like I should use block, but it ends up as more as a guess than a sure thing, and that makes me feel like an idiot.

Again, thanks for the great guide. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Could you explain when to use taunt please
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
12/27/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Devastated
Could you explain when to use taunt please

When you lose aggro and should still be tanking the mob.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Priest
Stickied and liked because it helped me do some stuff with my lowbie warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Between pulls on Challenge Modes, so I'll be brief and try to answer the questions as best I can

12/27/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Nerdrage
I was under the impression that with the recent 5.1* changes to the PPM system that Colossus was now considered an excellent enchant for overall damage smoothing. (I got this from Theck's Tankadin Blog) Please keep in mind, that I personally have done no math at all regarding this enchant for Warr's, but would like to hear the community's thoughts about this.

As far as I'm aware, the bubble isn't going to stack up or anything, so you're just refreshing an 8k~ bubble that gets eaten in a single hit anyway; it's a small amount that isn't going to be noticeable by your healers, again, as far as I'm aware. I switched from it to Windsong in worse gear, and didn't notice any perceivable difference in damage taken in 5mans, or raids. But, I suppose if there's enough interest I can test it again and see how much damage it mitigates in a typical encounter (Say, Spirit Kings, Elegon, Will, Dogs) and post my results. :)

Also with regards to rage potions, I'm fairly sure they activate the Potion cooldown, and the Strength potion is a more appreciable DPS increase. But no hate here!

@Kharaa: The closest thing I can tell you with regards to add-ons, I'd recommend ProtWarBar, if only because it lets you dynamically see how big your Barriers are going to be before using them, similar to Blood Shield Tracker for DKs. It also has a very large rage bar, and also has visual icons for cooldowns. Each of these can be tweaked and turned off or on at your leisure. Besides that, there's not much I can tell you besides, "Think about how the boss is hitting you, and use the ability that's best suited for it."

With regards to you taking less or more damage than your DK co-tank, I can't really tell you much without looking at logs. Maybe one of the other people here might be able to tell you what's going on, I'm not exactly sure. If you're concerned, make a thread about it and I'm positive somebody will try to troubleshoot it one way or another.

@Rolas: Thanks, I'll make the edits when I have some time

Edit: Edits done; if you see any more, let me know <3
Edited by Lowmaine on 12/27/2012 9:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Thankyou Low. Sticky liked.
Weapon chain may be another affordable option for those embracing expertise.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
ABOOT TIME!!! YOU MUSTA FLUBBED AROUND TOO MUCH. Lol that's one of my new favourite words.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Thank you for the guide! I tanked a ton in BC/wrath, but got away from it.

This guide was just what I needed to get back into the swing of things.

/sticky
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Nice, now that i have read his guild i have realized i have been itemizing wrong. Time to get more hit and expertise.

Sticky requested.

Also i shake my fist at gnomes and their tomfoolery.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]