Shield End Up: A Prot Warrior PvE Guide 5.4

(Sticky)

90 Tauren Warrior
Do you all have a good addon to track vengeance because I know for a fact I am not using it to its full potential
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
01/11/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Kuamudu
Do you all have a good addon to track vengeance because I know for a fact I am not using it to its full potential

I have a somewhat silly redundancy in my UI; because I use ElvUI, it has a datatext option to track Vengeance AP, but I also have ProtWarBar, which has another (truncated) display for your Vengeance AP level, as well as what your next Shield Barrier will absorb for if you use it at that precise moment.

It also has tons of cooldown tracking icons, specifically the cooldowns on Shield Wall, Last Stand, Berserker Rage, Shield Block, Rallying Cry and even Enraged Regeneration. Personally for this I just use Weak Auras, as it's a bit more customizable (And I like the display better ((and I got the string off of somebody >_> <_<))).

The main reason I have it though however, is its Rage bar, which color codes itself based on what rage threshold you're hitting, so once you're over 60 it will be a certain color, at 100 it will be a different color; you get the idea.

Sorry, I've gotten off track. If you want a decent mod that will track Vengeance levels for you, ProtWarBar can definitely do that for you; you'll just have to disable the other things if you don't want them, which won't be too challenging for you :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
How do you load that UI. I went to the website and downloaded the folder and it doesn't load when I put it into the wow folder
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Is there a way to turn off all of prot war bar except the barrier monitor?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
01/11/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Tribute
Is there a way to turn off all of prot war bar except the barrier monitor?

Mmmhmm.

You just have to go into the options and switch off Rage Bar, Shield Bar, and Icons. Just keep Information enabled and it'll show both Vengeance or Barrier info (or one or the other, if you want it to)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Damn this got stickied fast. Faster than Sams guide.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
GRATZ ON THE STICKY!!! I HATE YOU!! Jk. Nice job.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Great guide thanks for the info.
Quick question though: about how much damage on average should be be expecting to pump out? Should we generate enough to hold mobs and call it good, or do we need to be hammering out enough to keep up with our equally geared DPS counterparts?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
01/13/2013 07:47 PMPosted by Kaidinn
Quick question though: about how much damage on average should be be expecting to pump out? Should we generate enough to hold mobs and call it good, or do we need to be hammering out enough to keep up with our equally geared DPS counterparts?

Your damage will vary greatly depending on the amount of Vengence you have. This means that standing in poo, and pulling multiple groups will allow better DPS. In heroic dungeons, you might be able to beat some lackluster dps, but any competent dps will beat you outside gimmicks.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
In light of some things posted by Theck over on Sacred Duty; gonna adjust some sections. Specifically, Rotation under Abilities and the "Shield Block vs. Barrier" section under Abilities as well.

Stat priorities under "Stats" will get another line or two added to it somewhere.

Just letting everybody know so that way I don't have a bajillion posts here going FIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXITFIXIT like Hooves is doing over RealID whispers to me right now :P

Should have most of this stuff done in the next day or so. :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Ok so, I'm going to ask you all to look me over please and give me some advice. I've gone after basically capping my hit and exp. After reading this guide and a few Youtube videos and from what I've seen it says that I should use Shield Slam and Revenge and not use Heroic Strike and Cleave in my normal rotation, unless Ultimatum prods or I have extra rage to spare. But most extra rage should be save for Shield Barrier and Shield Block. I'm having issues getting Ultimatum and Sword and Board to proc. Should I be getting more parry to get Sword and Board to proc or what am I doing wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
You'll want to hit 7.5 expertise and hit as a minimum.

7.5 is the Hit Hard Cap
7.5 is the minimum for Expertise.
15 is the Expertise Hard Cap.

After hitting Hit and Exp minimums, either go for Mastery or Stamina.

And no, don't get more parry, don't even gem it, I -- I don't know what evil thing I will do if I see someone gemming parry.

It just doesn't seem right at all.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Hi Guys, I'm not currently raiding, but is Stamina that much better than Mastery? :S Any advises to my gear / Gemming ?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
01/15/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Kuamudu
Ok so, I'm going to ask you all to look me over please and give me some advice. I've gone after basically capping my hit and exp. After reading this guide and a few Youtube videos and from what I've seen it says that I should use Shield Slam and Revenge and not use Heroic Strike and Cleave in my normal rotation, unless Ultimatum prods or I have extra rage to spare. But most extra rage should be save for Shield Barrier and Shield Block. I'm having issues getting Ultimatum and Sword and Board to proc. Should I be getting more parry to get Sword and Board to proc or what am I doing wrong.

Parry and Sword and Board/Ultimatum chances have nothing to do with each other. Ultimatum is a chance to proc off of Shield Slam, and Sword and Board is a chance to proc off of Devastate. Increasing your avoidance levels will do nothing to get you "more" procs, as they're completely random.

01/16/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Davidian
Hi Guys, I'm not currently raiding, but is Stamina that much better than Mastery? :S Any advises to my gear / Gemming ?

Honestly, I don't see anything really wrong with your gemming if you're doing 5mans/LFR. Tank stats don't really matter enough on that kind of content because at the end of the day, what will kill you more often than not is crummy healers or standing in bad (either's a very likely case in LFR, depending on the group >_> <_<). Maybe get a bit more stamina? But you're definitely great on Mastery for that kind of content; hell right now you have more than I do :P

Also enchant your shield :P
Edited by Lowmaine on 1/16/2013 3:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Parry and Sword and Board/Ultimatum chances have nothing to do with each other. Ultimatum is a chance to proc off of Shield Slam, and Sword and Board is a chance to proc off of Devastate. Increasing your avoidance levels will do nothing to get you "more" procs, as they're completely random.

Honestly, I don't see anything really wrong with your gemming if you're doing 5mans/LFR. Tank stats don't really matter enough on that kind of content because at the end of the day, what will kill you more often than not is crummy healers or standing in bad (either's a very likely case in LFR, depending on the group >_> <_<). Maybe get a bit more stamina? But you're definitely great on Mastery for that kind of content; hell right now you have more than I do :P

Also enchant your shield :P

Yeah I got it yesterday :$ :$ so happy :$ :$ I kind of don't like gemming stamina... and my HP is quite low because I have two Mastery trinkets (probably will swap one for a stamina / on use trinket) but saw bunch of tanks gemming stam and got me thinking, that's why I asked :P

I'm sure the avoidance vs stamina thing is the oldest battle out there (? but.. well.. it's still around I guess.

Thanks for the help Lowmaine :D

PD: Awesome Guide.
Edited by Davidian on 1/17/2013 3:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Lowmaine, you think 5.2 IV will be better than ER? %15 healing every 30 seconds sounds strong.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Thank you, i recently decided to get back into tanking (after not tanking since ICC) and found this guide extremely helpful
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
01/18/2013 05:39 AMPosted by Davidian
Lowmaine, you think 5.2 IV will be better than ER? %15 healing every 30 seconds sounds strong.

He and I were talking about that some time ago, it'll be less than 30 seconds when you get start collecting your tier pieces to activate whichever 2 / 4 piece bonus that can proc it as a legit Victory Rush / IV during a fight. The gap between them may be closer once you get the tier set that can proc it. It will certainly become more viable than it is now.

Definitely going to switch to it over Enraged Regen when 5.2 hits to see how I like.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Even with the 4pc, I'll likely stick with ER. You'll just get an extra heal with the 4pc proc that you wouldn't have with ER.

I'll see how it plays out though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
01/21/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Clutch

He and I were talking about that some time ago, it'll be less than 30 seconds when you get start collecting your tier pieces to activate whichever 2 / 4 piece bonus that can proc it as a legit Victory Rush / IV during a fight. The gap between them may be closer once you get the tier set that can proc it. It will certainly become more viable than it is now.

Definitely going to switch to it over Enraged Regen when 5.2 hits to see how I like.

Indeed we were! I haven't settled on a hard verdict for it yet, since it's just going to proc it like you've scored a killing blow and nothing else. At that point, taking IV might not be enough of an improvement from just regular Victory Rush that it might be better to spend that point elsewhere, like Enraged Regen.

All in all, it's gonna require some testing, so no hard verdict on it yet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]