We need need new battle.tag API

90 Worgen Death Knight
I am sure you have already heard of websites like openraid.us and addons like oQueue.
However, both of those use some sort of workarounds to make them work and so are not officialy supported by blizzard. Are there any future plans to support those services on official level through some sort of API?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Just curious, what sort of information would you want exposed through this API? The BattleTag in each character profile? A list of characters connected to a BattleTag? (I can't see the latter happening)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
12/30/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Choonster
Just curious, what sort of information would you want exposed through this API? The BattleTag in each character profile? A list of characters connected to a BattleTag? (I can't see the latter happening)

I was thinking something like: be able to send request to form party, ability to communicate with in-game characters from outside of the game, etc. It would be much better if blizzard themselves implemented people-finding feature into the game. Something like LFR, but with ability to make custom party for any dungeon.
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
This has been discussed before (don't know if officially), but this would mean you would need to hand out your account details to third party sites. Imagine the security risks.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Handing out account information to third party websites I disagree with. However key based authentication with a user account, like many popular web-services (facebook, twitter, ect.), I agree with. Permission to have access to "specific" information controlled through the API is accepted by the individual user with a generated key.

Why this might not be implemented currently, my own personal opinion. Technically expensive in development time, a lot of legal considerations about what data can actually be distributed and communicated with, new security issues to consider, higher demand on real-time communication that is associated with account (social associated) data, and the reality that this data will be mined and stored across the internet by organizations in the years to come (no pressure for mistakes).

I do wish we get something like this soon. There is a big bridge to build between community/guild/clan sites and a game like World of Warcraft. Something I have had on my wish for a long time is the ability to embed chat, this could still a level of authentication (and yes no trade chat for this ;).)

Wishful thinking, I can dream though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]