Lets suppose we had free speech

(Locked)

56 Dwarf Death Knight
I dislike something about the game and feel the need to express my frustration and dissatisfaction.

I do so in logical yet harsh language. Why would you require me to couch frustration in cheery terms? I could say dev so and so is a lazy so and so. Or I could say it sure would be nice if dev so and so worked harder.

They both say the same thing. Yet one may get me banned and another merely downvoted.

It's pretty easy to see what the attitude from moderators are in the forums. I would liken them to censors who want a glowing but false picture of what the game is.

I can tell you if these forums were my way of deciding if I was going to try the game out first time I would see all the complaining and the long term unresolved issues and decide it wasn't worth the money or effort.

I don't need a moderator to decide for me what is relevant or properly worded. I resent the ever present arbitrary ban hammer in the forums. Short of outright obscenity or encouraging folks to cheat or worse yet harass each other IRL, we don't need moderators erasing our posts.
80 Pandaren Mage
There's plenty of complaint threads that dont get touched by the moderators, but name calling is not constructive criticism.

We want constructive criticism, not rage.
Edited by Pandamonïum on 1/1/2013 1:37 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
Anyone who bases their opinion of a game on a games forum, and not the game itself, is a completely and utter so and so!
90 Human Rogue
Okay, not being a jerk here but compare these forums...
... to the ones for War Z. (That's some vicious territory there.)

Honestly, you wanna know the difference between a Community Manager and a toilet bowl?
The toilet bowl only has to deal with one a** hole at a time.

Cut 'em a break, okay?
Edited by Tjayrocket on 1/1/2013 1:57 PM PST
Community Manager
This is a discussion forum. If you're unable to post in a civil manner without breaching the Code of Conduct or Forum Guidelines to allow such discussions to take place, please take a deep breath to let passions simmer down, and take a break from the forums.

You'll retain the ability to continue to participate in future discussions and be able to thank me later.
80 Pandaren Mage
Get out the plates cuz you just got served.
90 Human Warlock
01/01/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Bolgar
Why would you require me to couch frustration in cheery terms?

Because reading a poem on why you want Pallies to be nerfed is much more fun than seeing every symbol on the keyboard & trying to read it like a secret code.
90 Worgen Warrior
Go back to Reddit.
90 Gnome Mage

I can tell you if these forums were my way of deciding if I was going to try the game out first time I would see all the complaining and the long term unresolved issues and decide it wasn't worth the money or effort.

Forums for healthy games are actually filled with whining.

It's the games whose forums are silent, or perhaps just sparsely populated with fanboy posts, that are really dead.
90 Goblin Death Knight
01/01/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Bolgar
This is a discussion forum. If you're unable to post in a civil manner

Am I to take this means that my original post is considered uncivil?

You're being really defensive, he's talking about you using harsh language in your other posts you admitted to.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This is gonna hit post cap.
90 Human Paladin
Because most people are hyper sensitive and in public places we have to walk on eggshells around them lest we'll accidentally offend someone.
90 Worgen Warlock

Am I to take this means that my original post is considered uncivil? I really must lack any social skills because I see nothing uncivil in it.

Reading comprehension is not something you are very good at. Instead of getting all high and mighty and thinking the blue post was targeting you for being uncivil, why don't you read it in context to your original post. Its blatantly obvious that he is simply answering your childish concerns from your original post and not actually calling the original post uncivil.

Also, free speech does not give you the right to make baseless insults towards people. Nor does it give you the right to slander people. You may actually want to do some research on what speech is protected as being free before opening your mouth about it.
Edited by Lucynda on 1/1/2013 1:59 PM PST
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Believe me, it is possible to post clearly and logically while following the CoC... and still being quite harsh.

Never confuse politeness with nice. Never confuse following the rules with pulling punches.

One can be quite cruel while following the rules.
90 Human Death Knight

Am I to take this means that my original post is considered uncivil? I really must lack any social skills because I see nothing uncivil in it.

You can take it any way you want, even though it was obviously not meant that way.
90 Night Elf Druid
First, you don't have free speech in private places. Go re-read the First Amendment. It relates to what the government can do about speech, not private entities. If you come to my house and start ranting at me I'm completely within my rights to tell you to shut up or get out. Similarly, Blizzard is a private entity. You have no free speech rights here and are bound by any rules they see fit to create and enforce.

Note, too, that freedom of expression does not mean you're free to say anything without consequences.
Community Manager

Thanks for partial quoting. The other half of the sentence before it got cut off specify that "If you're unable to post in a civil manner without breaching the Code of Conduct or Forum Guidelines to allow such discussions to take place, please take a deep breath to let passions simmer down, and take a break from the forums."

You are free to post as you wish. I am advising that those posts remain civil without violating the Code of Conduct or Forum Guidelines (You failed at that actually for discussing forum moderation, but I'm giving it a pass.)

P.S. I'm not a moderator. It's one of the many tasks that I undertake.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have to say I really appreciate the overall constructive tone of this thread. Honestly, Bolgar, its about simple civility. In an adult world, in adult communication, people don't yell, swear, spit sarcasm, or insults like can be the unfortunate case so much of the time on these forums. The Blizz employees care very much about this game, and the mods are very invested in the players opinions. However, much of what is said or requested, while the content may be coherent, is done so in such an out-of-control manner that it cannot be conducive to constructive conversation and must be shut down. Its nothing personal against the players. Its just to protect the quality of conversation. Keep it civil and Blizzard will read it. Maybe not do what you want (there are 10mil other people who want other things), but they will listen.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]