Eye of the Black Prince, Replaceable?

(Locked)

90 Gnome Warrior
There’s currently no way to obtain an additional Eye of the Black Prince, and we’re aware it can create a situation where people are deterred from wanting to upgrade their items. That’s not the intent, we want you to use it and enjoy the upgrade then and there, and so we’re looking into a way for players to obtain additional sockets similar to how you can purchase additional legendary gems.

since when was bashiok a tree.

And why does this tree look like its overdosed on mountain dew.
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
Thanks for the clarification. :)
90 Human Monk
since when was bashiok a tree.

And why does this tree look like its overdosed on mountain dew.

I think he got his old avatar back once he left D3 forums.
100 Human Warlock
Good to know this is being looked at.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Sha touched gems are already deterrent enough. My alt has one sitting in the bank with two weapons absent a gem, basically because I can't stomach putting one in a LFR weapon. And the alt has killed 0 bosses in HoF N, basically because my server sucks. And, absent nerfs - no one on Duskwood is PUGing anything within the near future, regardless of valor upgrades.
There’s currently no way to obtain an additional Eye of the Black Prince, and we’re aware it can create a situation where people are deterred from wanting to upgrade their items. That’s not the intent, we want you to use it and enjoy the upgrade then and there, and so we’re looking into a way for players to obtain additional sockets similar to how you can purchase additional legendary gems.

Is there a particular reason it wasn't included to begin with? 5.1 has been out for awhile now, and it's somewhat distressing that it took this long to get an answer.
90 Pandaren Monk
It baffles me that this was implemented without a method for replacing it. Not to sound crass, but how does something like that make it through design with 8 years of live development on the game?

It blows my mind that the replacement gem itself even costs 10k. For me, it's a drop in the bucket, but I can't even fathom it for a semi-casual player who's moving from LFR into real raiding.
100 Night Elf Hunter
It baffles me that this was implemented without a method for replacing it. Not to sound crass, but how does something like that make it through design with 8 years of live development on the game?

I have to agree with this. In what way did you not envision this being a problem? For a game where endgame progression means so much to people; you'd think you would account for people upgrading their weapons.
75 Human Hunter
01/01/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Datachanger
went and did the two battlegrounds
ewww.. the legendary requires us to do BG to finish?

wow... i bet all the QQ in chat is loud from real pvpers in the BGs as us non-pvps go in just to get it done, since we are not really there to pvp and dont really participate....
I swear I've not seen you post in years.
What happened?

Bashiok is Drysc! Drysc is Bashiok!
100 Night Elf Hunter
I still will not use mine until a fix is confirmed since with my luck it will be another Dance studio after I use mine.
100 Blood Elf Paladin

I'm gonna speculate that we may be able to buy another Eye once we've socketed it. Although you didn't really answer the question. Will we be able to buy more eye's or are you going to proceed with this additional socket thing?
Edited by Valdro on 1/8/2013 10:40 AM PST
90 Human Rogue

I was curious about this as well. Was this an oversight in any way, especially since the gem had a method to obtain a new one?

Or was the thought that by the time a person has the Eye, hopefully they've progressed through normal Terrace and have obtained a normal mode Sha weapon and will use it on that rather than the LFR equivalent?

By the same rationale, a player who is raiding heroic modes will save the item due to knowing they will obtain a heroic version sooner or later.

This whole thing just makes me want to hold on to mine and never use it for in the event we kill Heroic Lei Shi before 5.2 launches.
Edited by Daltin on 1/8/2013 10:44 AM PST
90 Worgen Rogue
I think the cost of the replacement legendary gem is way too high at 10,000g. so i really hope the replacement eye of the black prince isn't going to be so costly.

10,000 as a one time price isn't so hard to come by. But when you have alts that you need raid ready, as well as needing to slot the gem into 3 different weapons each tier (LFR,Normal,Heroic) Then the numbers soon add up.
30k gold per toon, per raid tier in gems alone is a lot.

Any thoughts on changing the cost of replacement gems?
90 Night Elf Monk
01/08/2013 10:07 AMPosted by Waraila
I wouldn't care if it was 20k ... although it's likely to be 10k like the gem.

So every time we get a new weapon we have to drop 20k.
Doesn't sound very cool.
100 Tauren Druid
So every time we get a new weapon we have to drop 20k.
Doesn't sound very cool.

The alternative is to never be able to upgrade.. so yes I'd be perfectly willing to farm dailies / whatever else to make money to be able to upgrade a weapon from a higher difficulty.

It's only gold and you can get that if you put your mind to it... granted it would mean a lot of farming herbs, or skinning, or mining, or dailies etc but it would be well worth it.
90 Night Elf Monk
The alternative is to never be able to upgrade.. so yes I'd be perfectly willing to farm dailies / whatever else to make money to be able to upgrade a weapon from a higher difficulty.

It's only gold and you can get that if you put your mind to it... granted it would mean a lot of farming herbs, or skinning, or mining, or dailies etc but it would be well worth it.

Another alternative is to just make it cheap because the stupid gem already costs 10k and there are already enough goldsinks. Why punish people for getting upgrades?
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The 10K gold is especially burdensome for those off-tanks and off-healers who are expected to gear both sets to perform both roles as a fight demands.

A one-role raider may spend 20K if they upgrade to heroic if they only upgrade their best in slot at each level.
A two-role raider will spend 50K.

Brings a whole new meaning to "hybrid tax".
100 Human Death Knight
I still need 3 sigils of power. They just stopped dropping for me it seems.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]