Unholy Death Knights: Mechanical Shortcomings

90 Undead Death Knight

True, that's a good side effect of tossing out more death coils. If you spike the SD proc rate much, though, I'd suggest adding a charge system so people aren't required to immediately hit their Death Coil bind or waste tons of DPS. That feels less like fun and more like an obligation, at least to me.

ScS becoming a 1U1F rune strike, increased proc rate on Sudden Doom with charges built up (wouldn't require many at all, I'd think; just enough to allow us to clear a couple of runes). I really like the way you guys think. This absolutely corrects the issues I (and other former DK's) have had with the play style of this spec since Cata.

I wasn't around for the vast majority of Cata, so please excuse my ignorance of what had been stated during the MoP beta testing. All I know is, I am really, really liking the ideas here. I don't care if they're old or not. Okay, I'm going back to the cheerleader section.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
12/20/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Krinu
If you spike the SD proc rate much, though, I'd suggest adding a charge system so people aren't required to immediately hit their Death Coil bind or waste tons of DPS. That feels less like fun and more like an obligation, at least to me.

God, that would be such an amazing change, for both Sudden Doom and Killing Machine.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If you spike the SD proc rate much, though, I'd suggest adding a charge system so people aren't required to immediately hit their Death Coil bind or waste tons of DPS. That feels less like fun and more like an obligation, at least to me.

God, that would be such an amazing change, for both Sudden Doom and Killing Machine.

I would weep tears of joy. No more wasting KM procs...
Edited by Ghatok on 12/21/2012 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
You can't waste a KM proc now, because you should be completely ignoring KM. I personally turn off the Blizzard powerauras and disable the button glow via the Weakauras addon.

If it was changed to a charge system, though, that could change. It would no longer be required to instantly use the proc no matter what so you don't double-proc. That would be an amazing change.

There's a precedent for the change, too. Mage procs work that way; you can get multiple stacks of Fingers of Frost and Arcane Missiles. It works great for them.

Note that changing KM to 2 charges might not be enough to make you delay your next Oblit/FS so the better one gets the crit. That would require a simcraft patch to test.
Edited by Slant on 12/21/2012 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Sorry, I meant what you said :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
And Shadow Priest's "From Darkness Comes the Light" talent behaves in the same way.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Yep, I'm sure there are a bunch of examples... I haven't leveled my priest to 90 yet, but I am currently leveling my mage, so it came to mind.

Anyway, adding charges to Sudden Doom and Killing Machine would be an amazing QoL improvement. Both specs would be so much more fun to play without that constant frustration from potentially overwriting procs or wasting them on the "wrong" ability.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
12/21/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Slant
or wasting them on the "wrong" ability.

See, you use the same verbage :P

Just ribbin ya. I meant what you said.
Edited by Ghatok on 12/21/2012 1:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

True, that's a good side effect of tossing out more death coils. If you spike the SD proc rate much, though, I'd suggest adding a charge system so people aren't required to immediately hit their Death Coil bind or waste tons of DPS. That feels less like fun and more like an obligation, at least to me.

ScS becoming a 1U1F rune strike, increased proc rate on Sudden Doom with charges built up (wouldn't require many at all, I'd think; just enough to allow us to clear a couple of runes). I really like the way you guys think. This absolutely corrects the issues I (and other former DK's) have had with the play style of this spec since Cata.

I wasn't around for the vast majority of Cata, so please excuse my ignorance of what had been stated during the MoP beta testing. All I know is, I am really, really liking the ideas here. I don't care if they're old or not. Okay, I'm going back to the cheerleader section.

Would consider unholy again if these changes were implemented
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Datamined from the 5.2 PTR. As always, these are not final changes and may be completely wrong.

Ebon Plaguebringer: Increases the damage your diseases deal by 60%, causes your Plague Strike to also apply Frost Fever, and causes your Blood Plague to also apply the Physical Vulnerability effect.

Summon Gargoyle: A Gargoyle flies into the area and bombards the target with Plague damage modified by the Death Knight's attack power. Persists for 30 sec.

Plague Strike applying Frost Fever will help with target switching (and rune desyncing, to some extent), and the Gargoyle will now scale with mastery. Note that the Gargoyle is also free, so it won't slow down rampup now.

These are positive changes, but unfortunately do not address rampup on the ghoul pet, which is (IMO) Unholy's biggest problem.

For non Unholy-specific stuff, Conversion now only costs 5RP per second and Death Siphon healing was increased by 50%. Conversion unfortunately still disables other forms of RP generation, even though there's no reason to leave it in with the new Frost presence.
Edited by Slant on 12/21/2012 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Those are really nice changes. No a free Pestilence would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/21/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Rothulean
Those are really nice changes. No a free Pestilence would be nice.

Personally I think pestilence should be unholy only and retuned to be its aoe. Frost can have HB spread (not cause) bp. Blood gets roiling blood baseline.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
gary being free is an amazing QoL buff, and eliminates the future problem of gary vs 2 deathcoils down the line.

The plague strike buff is interesting. I would have to try it out. Its basically outbreak with a rune cost. Frees us up a keybind though!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Its meant to ease our target switching, which it does. It would be nice if we had an AoE method, but it works well enough.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/21/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Rothulean
Its meant to ease our target switching, which it does. It would be nice if we had an AoE method, but it works well enough.

Aye, I was tooling around multiple dummies only using PS and the lack of that orphan frost rune was awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Im glad they made Gary free though, thats huge. I remember asking for that back in beta. Im glad they went with the community opinion on that one.
Reply Quote
94 Goblin Warlock
I wonder what the new 'plague damage' verbage is supposed to mean.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Nature+Shadow damage, so it scales with Unholy's mastery.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
We've got some very promising changes on the horizon :)

I'm going to be organising a separate thread for detailed PTR feedback as soon as the test realms deploy. For now, I will reiterate my earlier request: Please keep posting logs of your performance in 5.1, as well as accounts of the performance issues you face.

If we want to give Blizzard further reason to continue making adjustments, this is the way to do it. Also, recall that this is likely being done with the intent of minimising flat out buffs (Gary aside).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Im interested to see how much of a buff mastery gets from that change. I would imagine not much, but that could move it almost equal to crit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]