Can't purchase 90 pvp gear before 90?

(Locked)

89 Gnome Mage
I was just wondering if someone could explain the reasoning behind this. I basically only do PvP unless I need gold (then I will do some questing). As a result of this I have a stockpile of honor points that I end up spending on junk. Why is it that we cannot by level 90 PvP gear until we are level 90? It would be nice to be able to at least purchase the blue PvP gear beforehand, so that if you are not a big "quester/dungeoner" you could have some decent gear once you get into the 90 bracket.
Thanks!
90 Undead Hunter
I agree. I had a stockpile just sitting there too. It's not like you can use it, so I don't see the harm in buying it.
89 Gnome Mage
Hi Heya,
I tried to buy the blue lvl 90 PvP gear from the vendor in pandaria on the "great wall", but I can't buy it because I get an error saying I need to be level 90 to purchase it. Is there another PvP vendor that I can by lvl 90 gear from before I actually reach level 90? I would hate going into the 90 bracket with quest rewarded greens and have to build up a set from scratch.
90 Pandaren Monk
I think it's so you can't "twink" at 70 or some other bracket and then reach max level with all honor gear. Again, I think that's the reasoning but it wouldn't be mine. I'd much rather bg to level and have gear available at 90.
90 Night Elf Druid
Agreed, I keep hitting the cap on my pvp disc priest and just keep buying mote of harmony to stay a little below cap but still able to buy at least 2 pieces once she hits 90.
72 Dwarf Mage
we use to be able to buy higher lvl gear ahead of time, but i think its was changed so lowbies cant buy expensive gear and sell it for gold. if you hit the bgs at lvl 10 you will be capped in no time at all.
89 Gnome Mage
I see the logic behind the twinking part (I think). However, it seems like it would be beneficial to people that only care to endgame PvP if you could use honor points to preemptively buy 90 gear, so that when you get to the 90 bracket you aren't getting face rolled by already super-geared toons. It doesn't make sense to not be able to get lvl 90 blue pvp gear before 90 AND have such a low honor cap which will only allow you enough hp to get 2 pieces of gear once you hit lvl 90. I'm sure blizzard has a reason for doing this I just cannot figure it out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
~shrug~ I turn all my honor in Justice Points and then fill up my honor cap again. You dont get it all back when you turn the Justice Points back into honor but at least its something so your not starting at 0 again.
90 Undead Priest
its to stop people hitting 90 in a bg and Equiping the gear giving them a clear advantage over others

Working as intended
89 Gnome Mage
its to stop people hitting 90 in a bg and Equiping the gear giving them a clear advantage over others

Working as intended

Interesting. I did not think about that. I'm sure there is another way Blizzard could avert this one particular situation. Programmatically, I mean. Trying to solve that one specific situation by enforcing lvl limitations on gear purchases kind of takes away from the PvP-progression aspect of the game. IMHO at least. I know some of you are thinking just go lvl / Bliz don't care much for PvP/ etc. , but as a paying customer, like the rest of you, I feel like my opinion and play style matter. How much those matter is a whole 'nother can of worms I won't even touch. Again, thanks for pointing out something I did not consider!
89 Gnome Mage
Realistically, the number of people that would do this must be pretty small. Plus, I'm all for defending Blizzard, but that sounds like a level of forethought that is way beyond them.

The answer is most likely: to keep you playing for longer at 90. The gear grind just makes sure you spend more time playing. Yes, it's frustrating and turns some people off. But people still play.

I deleted my first post because apparently I have no idea how to quote correctly :)

I strongly agree with you on both of your points.

I know these ideas will catch flak but here goes anyways.

1. Make some lvl 89 blue or green pvp items (purchasable via honor points) that will mitigate some of the gear-quality frustration associated with going from the 85-89 bracket to the 90 bracket while allowing hp to be used in a progressive fashion. I absolutely loathe questing/grinding professions to get gear that would serve this purpose. I know that people that play the way I play is a minority of the WoW population, but this seems like a reasonable way to cater to a diminutive demographic.

2. If what Discarnate is saying is actually the case, there has to be a way to restrict people from dinging 90 then equipping pvp gear in said battle and pwning faces off. For instance, have lvl 90 gear not be equip-able in lvl 85-89 battlegrounds OR make it so that a person that dings in a bg does not actually level until the bg is over or they are out of the bg. I'm sure the brilliant minds at blizzard can figure some way around this topic without drastically altering the game.

Thanks for the feedback, Nutuprshutup. And by the way, I really like your guild name.
90 Troll Druid
12/19/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Nutuprshutup
Realistically, the number of people that would do this must be pretty small.

You'd be surprised lol.

I actually think, like was stated before, players who do a lot of PvP while leveling will just be fully honor geared as soon as they it 90. It's possible blizzard wants to make sure the season starts with everyone on equal ground so everyone has the same effort to put in for their gear.

If you COULD by the level 90 gear pre-90, every "non casual" PvPer will do so and be full honor gear once they ding max level and will lead to massive QQ from the "casual" players because they are going to get roflstomped even harder.
I wish they would let you buy the item in question, even let you wear it. However a gauge fills up on each item up to the amount it would of cost you to buy that piece. When you fill it up to the top you get the items full effects. As you reach certain tiers before filling the item with honor you are gained partial benefits of the item. I think they added an upgrade system in wow with Mists but i really havent explored or looked into it. Anyways, this was you can have the items you need ( as long as you can pay the gold ) and be able to increase its power as you go yet still not being totally helpless in pvp.
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Working as intended

So making a whole set of crafted stuff, putting it in your bags, hitting 90 in a bg and equipping it is any different how?
89 Gnome Mage
12/19/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Mikarias
~shrug~ I turn all my honor in Justice Points and then fill up my honor cap again. You dont get it all back when you turn the Justice Points back into honor but at least its something so your not starting at 0 again.

I will definitely be doing this. Thanks for the advice.

12/19/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Nutuprshutup
Realistically, the number of people that would do this must be pretty small. Plus, I'm all for defending Blizzard, but that sounds like a level of forethought that is way beyond them.

On top of the small amount of people that do this, it can only be done once per toon (assuming dinging from 89 to 90) which isn't really all that big of a deal. Getting my face melted off in a BG will not be the first and definitely not the last time it's happened, so I think I could deal with the trade off of having someone exploit this in order to allow me to preemptively buy pvp gear.

12/19/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Mikarias
I wish they would let you buy the item in question, even let you wear it. However a gauge fills up on each item up to the amount it would of cost you to buy that piece. When you fill it up to the top you get the items full effects. As you reach certain tiers before filling the item with honor you are gained partial benefits of the item. I think they added an upgrade system in wow with Mists but i really havent explored or looked into it. Anyways, this was you can have the items you need ( as long as you can pay the gold ) and be able to increase its power as you go yet still not being totally helpless in pvp.

There are, I'm sure, countless ways Bliz could facilitate this whole gear debacle. Another way would be to "invest" hp into 90 gear in a non refundable fashion so that when you do hit 90 you would get the gear via mail automatically.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
After leveling five characters through the same quests in MoP zones, I wanted to level my paladin primarily in BGs and with very minimal questing... so minimal that I hardly grieve over the process. It was tedious enough to have to do the questing grind five times. [Considering how much we will have to continue questing past 90 with the way everything is acquired by rep grinding via dailies -- in the same zones that I am already sick of being in.]

It's ridiculous that I can't buy PvP gear prior to hitting 90. I'm about forty points away from cap and now there is no longer a reason for me to continue hitting BGs. I refuse to go in and have all the honor go to waste because of the cap. And I refuse to convert Honor to Justice (with the loss of points in the process) to later re-convert to Honor at 90.

Considering how many players will be far better PvP geared than me when I hit 90 -- it's absurd that they don't see the benefit of allowing us to buy the gear prior to hitting 90. It's not like doing so will be giving us such an advantage. If anything it's a nice incentive to continue playing to upgrade the gear, and later continue playing for those lovely Conquest points!

So now, if I ever want to get my paladin up to 90, I will have to go DPS [a spec I hate since Cata hit] & grind those tiresome quests which I have already been through FIVE times. I suppose that's what we get for having a PvP heart in a game that always favors PvE.
The real reason for this was, when cataclysm first hit, and the arena season started, people were able to transfer servers and reset their conquest cap. This meant that people were able to get the weapons in the first week of the arena, obviously this was a huge problem. Blizzard's response to this was a band-aid fix, which, did in fact work however, left us in the current situation. they made the weapons require lvl 86, and made it so you can't purchase gear that is above your level. Again, while this worked, they did revert the weapons back to level 85 when the appropriate number of weeks had passed, but they did not take out the level requirement. I personally think they simply forgot about it at this point, but I am really interested in what Blizzard's thoughts are on this subject now.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]