Shadow 5.2 Wishlist

90 Troll Priest
Rex
set bonuses for t15 are worse than last tier. t15 bonuses will do zero dps on any fight where apparitions like to bug out. maybe if they remove the cap and make apparitions move at 150% move speed with levitate or something so they can walk over rocks and stairs or something they'll be worthwhile, but these are so bad that i'm considering mainswapping or permanently swapping to heals.

warlock's are massive damage boosts to aoe as well as single target, as expected.

factor in warlocks' ~20% stronger scaling and shadow will be useless on single target and our lustre will be knocked down several pegs on multi dotting due to our subpar stat scale factors.
Edited by Snaxattax on 1/9/2013 10:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/31/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Tuei
If I hoped for any design shift for Mind Sear, I would cheer for it to remain a channeled ability. But one that would do no damage by itself, and instead mirror the dot damage of the target to all surrounding enemies to some degree.

I like this idea. It would be cool if it acted somewhat like pestilence
01/09/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Snaxattax
set bonuses for t15 are worse than last tier. t15 bonuses will do zero dps on any fight where apparitions like to bug out. maybe if they remove the cap and make apparitions move at 150% move speed with levitate or something so they can walk over rocks and stairs or something they'll be worthwhile

This, unless shadow apparations are changed our set bonus will be mostly useless.
Edited by Neliousucks on 1/11/2013 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Turns out they are making the attempt to fix the apparitions. Time will tell whether that brings them up to par.

For the record though, even if they worked as advertised I'm still not a fan of them.

My problem with its design is that even though it's 100% passive, there's a built-in limitation as compared to just having an abnormally high crit damage multiplier on SWP, which is essentially what the Apparitions ability is.

In order for the Apparitions ability to work at its best, you have to stand on top of the boss. If you stand at range like the game encourages you to do (and which you must do to get the most out of Halo, by the way), then there's a mechanically pointless delay between when the SWP tick crits, and when the extra damage actually hits. If the mob or player dies before the extra damage hits, or just keeps running, the ability is wasted.

Hence, the only thing that sets Apparitions apart is the graphic of the little shadow person "moving slowly" towards its target. In my opinion, the "unique" appearance of the ability doesn't justify the clear design flaw.

And remember, this is all assuming that the Apparitions are working as advertised. There's a whole other world of complaints on live where they're still bugged and contribute a fraction of the damage they should. But even IF Blizz successfully fixes them, MY complaints still stand.

That's why I don't like the T15 set bonuses.

I just foresee the following scenario: SWP and VT both have 2 seconds left, so I load up VT intending to follow it with SWP, refreshing both at the appropriate time. Except - OOPS! - an Apparition hit just before my cast went off, resulting in a total waste of two GCDs.

Are we expected to pay attention to when Apparitions spawn and get a good feel for how long it takes for them to travel 30-40 yards, so we can plan our dot refreshes accordingly? Seems like a lot of extra effort, possibly leaving us vulnerable to missing important fight mechanics and wiping raids, for not very much extra DPS.

Bleh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The source i read the tier bonuses for said that it extends not refreshes. Extends VT and SWP to deal dmg one more time. I agree the tier bonuses for Priests are aimed at our weakest source of dmg which is rediculous. We need something that will help use burst out dmg on nuke phases or at Bloodlust/Hero phases. Every other class has some sort of straight dmg increase button. Why not have 4 piece bonus add dmg increase to Vampiric embrace? Would allow better usage of the spell instead of holding onto it for phases where healers need the extra heals.
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 07:43 AMPosted by Pinochinö
The source i read the tier bonuses for said that it extends not refreshes. Extends VT and SWP to deal dmg one more time. I agree the tier bonuses for Priests are aimed at our weakest source of dmg which is rediculous. We need something that will help use burst out dmg on nuke phases or at Bloodlust/Hero phases. Every other class has some sort of straight dmg increase button. Why not have 4 piece bonus add dmg increase to Vampiric embrace? Would allow better usage of the spell instead of holding onto it for phases where healers need the extra heals.

I dunno, Vampiric Embrace is one of the few healing cooldowns available to dps specs. It's pretty handy in periods of high damage, I use it to help out the healers all the time.

We could definitely use a dps cooldown. Power Infusion is the closest thing we have, but right now, it can't compete with Twist of Fate or Divine Insight.

Personally, I think that Divine Insight should be baseline (for the Shadow portion), the extra Shadow Orbs are too good to pass up. In Beta, for a short time, it actually was baseline for Shadow and the talent let Mind Flay stack a buff that increased the damage of our next Mind Blast per tick of Mind Flay, up to 10 stacks. That was an interesting talent, I liked it a lot. But if they insist on keeping DI the way it is, then Power Infusion needs a buff. Maybe it can grant 3 Shadow Orbs on use while in Shadowform? That would give you a guaranteed Devouring Plague to benefit from the big haste buff, that would make it a better cooldown, right?

But since that's a talent, it still can't be our only cooldown. My idea for a baseline burst cd:

Insanity
3 minute cooldown

The Priest unleashes a torrent of mental energy, assaulting the target for X damage per second. While the effect lasts, the Priest gains a Shadow Orb every 2 seconds. Lasts 12 seconds.

Originally, I was gonna have the cooldown let Mind Spike not consume DoTs and also generate a Shadow Orb, but I thought that this was cooler.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Insanity
3 minute cooldown

The Priest unleashes a torrent of mental energy, assaulting the target for X damage per second. While the effect lasts, the Priest gains a Shadow Orb every 2 seconds. Lasts 12 seconds.

One problem with that spell: added to our normal Orb gains we would be easily overlapping Plagues, wasting ticks, unless they reworked the spell so the DP dot can stack, like Ignite.

Other than that, it's too simple. There's zero strategy other than busting it when Int procs are rolling. Ret paladin cooldowns require a bit of planning and strategy. This, you just pop on cooldown. Dunno if that's good or bad, but it's my take.
Reply Quote

Insanity
3 minute cooldown

One problem with that spell: added to our normal Orb gains we would be easily overlapping Plagues, wasting ticks, unless they reworked the spell so the DP dot can stack, like Ignite.

Other than that, it's too simple. There's zero strategy other than busting it when Int procs are rolling. Ret paladin cooldowns require a bit of planning and strategy. This, you just pop on cooldown. Dunno if that's good or bad, but it's my take.

Well, Devouring Plague only lasts 6 seconds, but I did forget to add in the orb generation from Mind Blasts, so you're right. Though the initial hard is so big that clipping a tick or two of DP would probably wouldn't matter. The bigger issue is that it's really strong and really simple. I mean, I suppose we can always get a "+15% damage" cooldown or something, but I was going for something more interesting, and Shadow Orbs feel like they could use some more attention. Maybe if we had something else to spend orbs on it would be cool, but with just DP and the PvE-useless Psychic Horror, I can see that an Orb generating cooldown would be kind of bland. Though aren't most dps cooldowns just used on cooldown unless there's a specific fight mechanic you need to save it for (like the tendons on Spine)? I admit that most of my dps experience is from my Spriest, with a bit of experience on my Elemental Shaman, but I thought that most dps just cast their cds on cooldown anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Rex
DP does stack like ignite, you just almost never see it happen now. you used to see it not infrequently in beta since everyone specced DI (which was 15% proc) every fight and SWDeath gave you two orbs when you double tapped it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Bumping this cause I think it's more relevant now than ever, Blizz seems more concerned with nerfing Shadow in PvP than with considering our PvE needs:

• Better single-target DPS
  • A way to start fights at full orbs
  • Better options for maintaining DPS during movement
  • Better scaling with gear
  • I did see GC's tweet about numbers passes and Shadow maybe needing better movement DPS, so I have hope for some positive changes.

I will say I don't agree with the doom and gloomers. Insanity's looking pretty neat (as long as the numbers end up right) and it looks like the DP change is a lot more beneficial than it seems at first. I think if I still PvP'd I would be pretty up in arms because it looks like Shadow's getting gutted far more than it needed, but thankfully I don't.

Thanks for the great game, Blizz! No matter what happens I will keep playing and having fun. :D
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    12/26/2012 05:47 AMPosted by Azazel
    I liked seeing all the shadowy apparitions walking towards the boss back when moving increased the proc (and there was not the limit of three). I thought the spell was originally designed to help the lack of DPS during movement issues but now it is just there and seems to provide more joke fodder during raids than usefulness when they wander around clueless.

Shadowy apparitions is the most useless thing in the game...Just remove it already.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]