You ever have that awkward moment

90 Draenei Priest
I've only had to tell a healer that they're awful once, and that was on my Paladin Tank.

We were back in Cataclysm, and we had what was probably the worst Resto Druid I've seen in a long while. We were actually stuck on Heroic Yor'sahj for the longest time because this guy literally couldn't do a grand total of 3 things: Keep Lifebloom up on me, don't Tranquility during the purple ooze phase, and listen to basic instructions for healing cooldowns.

He finally got the message and swapped over to his Hunter when I linked him the healing charts, showing my Paladin outhealing him with naught but Seal of Insight.

I had a druid that wanted to heal Firelands (during t13 mind you...it was a very casual guild) that was doing literally 4k HPS on Rhyolith.

He was in mostly feral quest greens and didn't have a resto set.

It wasn't a very fun night.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I had a druid that wanted to heal Firelands (during t13 mind you...it was a very casual guild) that was doing literally 4k HPS on Rhyolith.

That sounds sort of like he didn't know what a raid was.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

That sounds sort of like he didn't know what a raid was.

I'm honestly not sure if any of them did.

Great people, just a little less than competent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I would actually suggest LFR rather than 5mans. Unfortunately, 5s are so easy now that they allow/promote the bad habits (ignoring cooldowns, ignoring mana management, leaning on single-target heals, healing reactively and too conservatively) that he was displaying in the raid. LFR has enough damage going out in a raid-like pattern that a disc priest can get full use out of their whole toolkit.

Also, for performance under pressure, you can't beat PvP. It won't help with spell selection (you should get that down first) but it helps with confidence, cooldown use, and situational awareness.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. LFR is a seriously decent tool for healping someone learn the fundamental basics of how to heal in a raid environment. They won't learn on their own (I mean, in this kind of case, where he's clearly not learning anything on his own), but it's the only place outside of your "one kill a week per normal-mode boss" where you can see the effects your cooldowns have and also the effects which result from mana inefficient play.

I use LFR as a tool for trying to work out the kinks in my Mistweaver's healing (I'm Meditation, from the long-winded 2-part post about teaching a Disc priest earlier in this thread, lol; seem to have my priest's avatar active for forum-posting atm) because I'm struggling to play at a higher level of healing than I have been so far with her. 6hrs of raiding per week with my guild doesn't really allow for much practice, especially since my guild is running with not-friendly-to-Mistweaver-healing strategies.

And my ability to heal on this Disc priest just... went through the *roof*, when I started fooling around in casual BGs and for-fun-arena'ing back in 4.2. I couldn't believe what doing ultra-casual-mode PvP'ing did for me as a PvE healer.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

I wholeheartedly agree with this. LFR is a seriously decent tool for healping someone learn the fundamental basics of how to heal in a raid environment. They won't learn on their own (I mean, in this kind of case, where he's clearly not learning anything on his own), but it's the only place outside of your "one kill a week per normal-mode boss" where you can see the effects your cooldowns have and also the effects which result from mana inefficient play.

I'm also going to agree with LFR. The other great thing about lfr is the fact that it's the same content you're currently doing. It's a good place to learn where and when to move and he/she can practice when to do spirit shell on fights and get used to the timers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, to further aid in my endeavor to help our wayward priest, I leveled my priest to 90. I figured we could 'hit the books' together and that it would better help me be able to see and identify issues as they were happening. Scrapped my old holy spec for disc and started to get those bars set up and...can I just ask, have there always been five billion buttons or has playing a monk spoiled me? How do you all even function as a class?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
01/04/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Maziko
How do you all even function as a class?

It's not too bad. I work my keybinds around what I need to hit a lot (penance, pw shield, greater heal, mending, poh, smite, holy fire) , what I need to hit while moving, what I have to stop to cast, what I don't have to cast that often, and so on.

I have to use two separate button timer bars for watching my major CDs though, spirit shell, pain supp, that kind of thing. I keep more pvp related ones to the side otherwise I'd be in big trouble with everything we need to watch.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/04/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Maziko
Scrapped my old holy spec for disc and started to get those bars set up and...can I just ask, have there always been five billion buttons or has playing a monk spoiled me? How do you all even function as a class?

:D

Yep, lots of keybinds for my Disc priest. Maining a Disc in Cata definitely trained me up to be ultra-effective with other healing classes; all sorts of utility and "highly situation-dependent" abiities now have keybinds for my other healers so I can access those abilities with ease.

I use modifier macros to combine two spells to one button to save space, for some abilities:

#showtooltip [mod:shift] Power Word: Barrier; Power Word: Shield
/use [mod:shift] Power Word: Barrier; [@mouseover] Power Word: Shield

is one that seems to make sense for a lot of other Discs with whom I've discussed my set-up.

(macro allows PW:S to be cast as a mouseover heal with my keybind 1, and when I hold Shift and use 1, it activates the PW:B reticule for use)

My other two-in-one keybinds are for Holy Fire/Smite (keybind 2), Flash Heal/Prayer of Mending (keybind 3), Penance/Inner Focus (keybind 4), and Greater Heal/Mindbender (or Shadowfiend if I'm not using Bender for some reason) on keybind 5.

The Holy Fire/Smite macro is more complex, since I have it set up for targettarget etc, but it works really well.

And then I guess I have... hmmmm, 21? keybinds outside of those, but I play piano and it all seems to be quite easy for me to deal with.
Edited by Meditation on 1/6/2013 3:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]