Ice lance spam

90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is so ridiculous that a frost mage can literally ice lance spam you to death. That's it. Only ice lance spam.

I just faced some ridiculous frost mage who went red so he popped a trinket since that's all they have. Even though I trinketed deep, I still would have died in seconds if it weren't for loh. I managed to get a couple more heals after that, but I still died because the damage was insane.

Not a single frostbolt. I literally do not think the mage casted anything at all. Just ice lance! And yet this mage was at least twice my damage output on this ret.

I faced one other mage recently that did this too. That time he didn't even deep freeze. Just a frost orb, pet attacks and again ice lance spam. Yet sadly it's a tough fight due to ice barrier, blink and even a frost nova because that means we still have to spend a gcd to remove it.

Why in the world is such a cheap, spammable spell do this must damage? It should have a small cd. If that were the case arcane barrage and earth shock should be spammable.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
mages dont have a glyph to cast frostbolt while moving!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
its not worth to cast frostbolt... thats it

its better to just run around and cc everyone
Reply Quote
ice lance hits for 3-4k if the target isn't frozen and ice lance isn't proc'd.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
You have a few ways to get out of a root. He has a few ways to root you, and frozen orb to proc a chain of Fingers of Frost lances. Learn to predict or react to his cooldowns, apply your defensive abilities accordingly.

Also, I hate to trot out this old gem - but PvP isn't balanced around 1v1 or even 2v2. You should have a healer, and you should coordinate their defensive strengths as well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Description says 1 charge of FoF, but does it give a charge every time the orb hits?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
its not worth to cast frostbolt... thats it

its better to just run around and cc everyone

That's pretty messed up considering everyone else has to.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
It procs when it first reaches a target and then provides a 12% chance for an additional charge each tick. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=112965

This won't be a huge generator unless the mage lines up multiple targets for his orb, in which case he'll probably be casting Ice Lance on GCD for the duration.

Of course, if he can catch you in a deep - he might just rather use Frozen Orb then because it's damage is immense on a frozen target. And he'll probably have a couple fingers of frost when you exit the stun, allowing him to ice lance for the finish.
Edited by Solution on 12/29/2012 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I could try running the heck away from the orb next time I guess. The range can't be more then 10-15 yards.

Still I think that's really cheap a frost mage can get away with this. You know it hits as hard as a lava burst?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I only PvE as frost, but mine usually crit in excess of 200k - and they almost always crit. It's a hard hitting spell, no doubt. It can be hard for a frost mage to get charges when heavily pressured, though - rushing down a mage hits their damage incredibly hard.

You'll learn when to go defensive, and when to go offensive in time. As other posters have said, this came about because casting frostbolt is pretty much impossible, and rarely worthwhile in PvP. Learn how to deny ice lance and you've removed most of the mages damage. It's really all they have in a lot of situations.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Ice lance only does damage with fingers of frost. Without fingers of frost, frost has bomb and brain freeze procs. If they like, doubled the damage of frostbolt it might be worth casting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's hard to stop ice lance. I'll try staying away from frost orb though.

How much does frostbolt hit for then? I don't understand why this is ok for frost, but ele has to cast everything.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I wish I had Wog, or LoH, or freedom, we all have tools at our disposal, learn to use them and learn to counter the others imo.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
I've added support for PvP Power and Resilience to the TheoryCraft-o-Matic Lite:

http://lhiveras-library.com/wow-spells

They default to 0 because it's primarily intended as a PvE-oriented calculator and PvE targets have no resilience. But you can enter a percentage value for PvP Power and Resilience (e.g., enter "35.00" for 35%) and it'll include those in its results.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/29/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Negishi
I wish I had Wog, or LoH, or freedom, we all have tools at our disposal, learn to use them and learn to counter the others imo.

1) WoG heals for nothing and uses up the only resource a Ret Paladin has to do moderate damage.

2) Lay on Hands is a 10 minute crutch cooldown that cannot be used in Arenas.

3) Blessing of Freedom can be spell stolen and dispelled, and only lasts for 6 seconds.

4) Ret Paladins have been widely acknowledged by the community to be in a poor place right now, despite what GoatseCrawler believes (though we aren't as bad off as Rogues or Monks).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
12/29/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Positron
Description says 1 charge of FoF, but does it give a charge every time the orb hits?

If you just stand in the frozen orb like a derp, then every time you get hit (and it ticks very fast) the mage has a chance of getting an FoF proc. 12% chance per tick I believe.

12/29/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Positron
How much does frostbolt hit for then? I don't understand why this is ok for frost, but ele has to cast everything.

10-15k. Ele can cast while moving, and they get procs that make their casts instant as well.

Mages are using a *lot* more than just ice lance to do the damage you seem to be claiming they're doing.

And finally, I would love to go back to a model where my roots actually stick long enough to let me cast, but that style of PvP is dead, and your genre of class (melee) is what killed it.
Edited by Kaikou on 12/29/2012 4:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Rogue
Deep Freeze doesn't even count as a freeze does it?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Isn't it fun when pvp specs get ruined because of pve?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
12/29/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Swampdonkeys

Happily, there's no such thing as a "PvP spec." What was happening was a spec's PvE capabilities had long been ruined because of PvP. That problem has now been corrected, and we may all rejoice.
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/29/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Lhivera

Happily, there's no such thing as a "PvP spec."

That must be why you see so many protection paladins in battlegrounds.

ohwait

p.s. go level another mage 'cause I don't think you have enough
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]