Please Blizzard! Remove pets from smart heals

90 Human Paladin
I cannot stress this enough. Watching 4 people sitting at 50% life and combo Daybreak and seeing it "heal" full life/immune pets/companions.
Edited by Meladee on 12/15/2012 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah... hate that. And also, Blizz doesn't look at threads with cries for attention in the title. It's in the forum guidelines. ;P
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HC
Please, oh please.
100 Draenei Paladin
12/15/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Meladee
I cannot stress this enough. Watching 4 people sitting at 50% life and combo Daybreak and seeing it "heal" full life/immune pets/companions.

Daybreak isn't a smart heal, neither is Holy Radiance. The only smart heals we have as Paladins are Light of Dawn and, praise the lawd, the new and improved Holy Prism.

I do see HR and Daybreak "healing" stuff like Ghost Iron Dragonlings which is infuriating, but that has to do with how Blizzard treats friendly mechanical units more than pets. It's like trying to heal a Blingtron. Blizzard definitely does need to fix THIS stuff, I agree.
Edited by Tailias on 12/15/2012 9:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Totally agree, getting pretty tired of seeing every pet in the raid soaking my wild growth on my druid, coh on my priest when I'm in holy, and alll the atonement heals going to them (or worse the things like the mechanical dragon) when the priest is disc -.-

Did one dungeon yesterday where a mage pet got nearly every single atonement heal regardless of the health amount of the rest of the party, I think it may not even be working the way it's supposed to work.
Edited by Feyanna on 12/16/2012 5:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I agree. I asked about something similar in another thread.
I did a 5 man with a lock/hunter/mage. Watched all my WG's hit the pets at full health >.< and that was on last boss in Mogu'shan Palace after his AOE damage ability.

Thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415461576
Edited by Tehuantl on 12/16/2012 8:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Daybreak isn't a smart heal, neither is Holy Radiance. The only smart heals we have as Paladins are Light of Dawn and, praise the lawd, the new and improved Holy Prism.

I do see HR and Daybreak "healing" stuff like Ghost Iron Dragonlings which is infuriating, but that has to do with how Blizzard treats friendly mechanical units more than pets. It's like trying to heal a Blingtron. Blizzard definitely does need to fix THIS stuff, I agree.

HR being a smart heal would be redundant. Daybreak seems like it reacts in the same why many "smart" heals do. It being just a crash/splash heal still requires some type of built in intelligence. Maybe not of the smart heal like LoD(which is not particularly smart) or Battle Healer. If pets were removed from splash heals it would completely fix problems with Daybreak.
Edited by Meladee on 12/16/2012 4:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Renewing mist stopped hitting pets. I don't see why smart heals would still hit pets. They've been made pretty much immune to raid damage, so it's kind of pointless to heal them now. Especially if a pet gets healed when the heal should have healed the pet owner, then the owner dies, and you lose the pet anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The only way a Smart Heal (i.e. Light of Dawn, Wild Growth, CoH, Chain Heal, Healing Tide) should ever hit a pet is if the pet is at lower health than any player within range of the spell because of the way the spells work. That should almost never happen, because pets have so much AoE damage reduction that they aren't likely to be ever at lower HP than players, unless you're casting it when the raid is topped or not realizing that you don't have enough player targets in range or something.

The real issue with pets isn't necessarily smart heals, but more non-smart, no target cap heals that diminish in effectiveness past a target cap (i.e. Healing Rain, HW: Sanctuary, Holy Radiance, Daybreak, etc). When pets are inside the radius of one of these ground heals, they increase the number of targets being hit, and cause the healing on actual players to be diminished.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Cylia
Renewing mist stopped hitting pets. I don't see why smart heals would still hit pets. They've been made pretty much immune to raid damage, so it's kind of pointless to heal them now. Especially if a pet gets healed when the heal should have healed the pet owner, then the owner dies, and you lose the pet anyway.

They do still hit pets. PoM bounces to pets all the time. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Tiriél
PoM bounces to pets all the time.

I cheer every time i see a lock specced into not having a pet.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
/cast Wild Growth

On feng watch it go on 3 pets.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
When I was leveling up my Disc Priest and got him the Dragonling at lvl 87 I almost started crying in the dungeon as I watched "Immune" constantly pop up above that stupid dragon. That trinket would be so much better without the dragonling proc.

Of course it would be even better if smart and aoe heals didn't apply to pets.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I can live with pets getting heals, although it is generally sub-optimal. However, the ghost iron dragonling and other immune targets soaking atonement/eminence and smart heals is inexcusable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/16/2012 04:59 AMPosted by Feyanna
Totally agree, getting pretty tired of seeing every pet in the raid soaking my wild growth on my druid,

Wild Growth was the only thing that kept my pet alive during Nefarian's platform phase on my Hunter in Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The only way a Smart Heal (i.e. Light of Dawn, Wild Growth, CoH, Chain Heal, Healing Tide) should ever hit a pet is if the pet is at lower health than any player within range of the spell because of the way the spells work. That should almost never happen, because pets have so much AoE damage reduction that they aren't likely to be ever at lower HP than players, unless you're casting it when the raid is topped or not realizing that you don't have enough player targets in range or something.

Key word: "should". There's some sort of buggy behaviour with smart heals where they'll sometimes prefer pets - specifically melee pets - over players.

(They do seem to have fixed the bug I identified in Dragon Soul, where Atonement crits would always target the nearest friendly unit regardless of health levels - I still have screenshot proof of that one. Recent logs seem to indicate that crits are being targeted the same way as regular hits now. But there's still definitely some weirdness. The game will sometimes overheal a hunter pet or a bloodworm when the entire raid is at half health.)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior

The real issue with pets isn't necessarily smart heals, but more non-smart, no target cap heals that diminish in effectiveness past a target cap (i.e. Healing Rain, HW: Sanctuary, Holy Radiance, Daybreak, etc). When pets are inside the radius of one of these ground heals, they increase the number of targets being hit, and cause the healing on actual players to be diminished.

Pets and guardians aren't supposed to count as targets in terms of determining the healing done per target for those kinds of heals. So they get healed essentially for free without affecting the healing of players.

If it isn't working that way, then there is a bug in play.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My Atonement heals go to pets all the time. I would be OK with this if they were prioritized last, in a way where they only got healing if all players were full. Heck, it may work that way now, I haven't really looked at it that closely.

So to summarize, I would hate it if my smart heals went to pets if there were players who even needed 1 health.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My Atonement heals go to pets all the time. I would be OK with this if they were prioritized last, in a way where they only got healing if all players were full. Heck, it may work that way now, I haven't really looked at it that closely.

So to summarize, I would hate it if my smart heals went to pets if there were players who even needed 1 health.

Yes another issue for poorly designed splash/crash/semi-smart heals for me as pally is mastery. Even if the pet is lower life the mastery on a player is far more useful. It's not about fixing HPS numbers.

This about them realizing aoe healing combo and expensive one at that. Is completely trivialized over and over by it selecting pets.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]