Crit extending inq

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was just thinking, atm, crit is (slightly depending on your gear) the worst 2ndary dps stat for ret, and that's at least in part due to it not really interacting with any part of our toolkit. (you could argue more crits means more mastery damage, but that applies to pretty much every other stat we have. Mastery, str, and wdps increase its damage, haste lets you use abilities which benefit from mastery more often, ect.)

So what if they added a passive for ret where crits from certain abilities give a short extension to the remaining time on inquisition? Basically, if you had x time remaining on inq, then crit with an ability that grants y seconds, you would now have x+y time remaining up to a cap of 33s (the most it can currently go up to through the sub 3 second refresh mechanic.)

This would make crit a more attractive and interesting stat, plus it would give us a little more variation in the rotation. (as it stands now, unless you are using DP, you pretty much always know when you can expect to refresh inq, with this change, you would need to be more actively aware of your time to see if you could sqeeze in an extra tv or not.) plus, it could be balanced based on several variables such as which abilities can activate it and how much of a time extension they grant.

Not sure how much this would affect balance/stat priorities, but I don't think we're so op atm that this would throw everything out of whack. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
76 Draenei Death Knight
I hate Inquisition. I think it should be like vengeance personally. I feel every time I refresh INQ I'm wasting dps.
Edited by Vespere on 12/19/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/19/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Vespere
I hate Inquisition. I think it should be like vengeance personally. I feel every time I refresh INQ I'm wasting dps.

I would hate Inquisition if it didn't almost double my crit rating while active. Having like 21-24% crit rating is absurd for pallys in the first tier of the expansion. The first tier.

As for the Crit to inquisition idea, it'd be interesting if they put in a system where Judgment crits and Templar's Verdict crits increased the duration for a few seconds with a cap on maybe 6-9 seconds, kind of like the feral mangle with rip. We would end up being balanced around it though, and would thus add more RNG back into our rotation. Something I think most of the paladin community wants to avoid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd prefer Inquisition to be a debuff we put on a target with one of our abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/19/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Josarian
I'd prefer Inquisition to be a debuff we put on a target with one of our abilities.

Yeah, it sure does suck that a huge amount of our DPS isn't tied to one target, but rather can be carried with us.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Which is why it was designed to be as annoying as possible. If it were a debuff that was target specific, then it could be designed to be far less annoying to use.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Play a Feral Druid and you'll learn to appreciate Inquisition.

Savage Roar put me off Feral, which is a shame because they have so much potential and were my favorite spec in Cata. I'd just rather not have to spend TWO forms of resource (Energy and Combo points) to keep uptime on a buff that will put my DPS to where it SHOULD be baseline.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just get rid of inquisition and add a static increase to our holy damage by 20% and crit by 7%. Just roll those up in our spec.
Tone down the buff we get from GoaK and AW and slightly increase the damage of CS and TV.

I know the point of Inquisition falling off so quickly, but really... it's lame at best. In a PvE setting it really doesn't matter, all you're doing mostly is just standing there pressing the next button that lights up (until 3 seconds left on buff).
In PvP, it's just one of the other many things to have to watch for. Abilities you have to micro manage are not interesting or fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
According to simulationcraft, crit is a bit better then mastery for me right now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/20/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Yarko
According to simulationcraft, crit is a bit better then mastery for me right now.

Yeah I know they're fairly close to each other, but my main point is that crit really doesn't play with our ability set in any significant way.

Haste lets use use everything faster, which ties it into basically everything else about our spec. Mastery meshes with inq and plays off the other stats. Crit... just crits. This would be a neat way to make it a bit more interesting.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/20/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Darthelm

Yeah I know they're fairly close to each other, but my main point is that crit really doesn't play with our ability set in any significant way.

Haste lets use use everything faster, which ties it into basically everything else about our spec. Mastery meshes with inq and plays off the other stats. Crit... just crits. This would be a neat way to make it a bit more interesting.

It would be pretty cool if there was a tier of talents that made each one of the secondary stats more valuable I.E,, one is sanctity of battle, the other improves crit (maybe like the old vengeance) while another gives a further buff to mastery. This would make builds other than haste a bit more competitive and make the spec (and the class) feel a bit more customizable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Even with like... 10% to crit... with so much haste and crit modifying abilities... we still wouldn't stack crit lol. We have plenty of crits as is.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Check post dates, people.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Check post dates, people.

Oh no, don't discuss an interesting idea because it's seven months old!
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
"Interesting" or not, it's completely moot due to the Inq nerf next patch.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
"Interesting" or not, it's completely moot due to the Inq nerf next patch.

Yes, clearly the concept of a way to specialize which secondary statistic you'd like to stack is moot due to a minor nerf to a certain spec of one class....
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Moot as in, the concept is no longer worth discussing. Crit doesn't need to extend Inq because Inq is being extended baseline next patch.

Additionally, crit and mastery are still close in value. Once you hit 50% haste mastery and crit just get better for you. You can still stack one over the other if you want, it won't make a huge difference.

You're talking about a specific ability, for a specific spec. I was thinking more broadly about a mechanic allowing the class (or classes) to pick a particular secondary stat to specialize in to allow for further customization of a spec in general.

As far as the conventional wisdom on which stats are good until when, I know, and I read elitist jerks too. :)
Edited by Vir on 7/22/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
07/22/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Vir
You're talking about a specific ability, for a specific spec. I was thinking more broadly about a mechanic allowing the class (or classes) to pick a particular secondary stat to specialize in to allow for further customization of a spec in general.

While that's not exactly a bad idea, there was no need to necro an old thread as it doesn't really have any bearing on this particular subject. A new thread would have been better for discussion purposes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]