Bizarre lag spikes with new iMac

90 Human Priest
I just got one of the fancy new 27-inch iMacs, with a 680MX video card. WoW looks lovely, runs like molten butter, etc... However, on this new machine, I get frequent lag spikes. I'd guess a few times a minute, maybe even several times a minute, there's a blip of lag for anywhere from half a second to a few seconds. It makes healing during tight times very tough, and doesn't help with dodging encounter mechanics either.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Frame rate is steady at 60 FPS. Reported latency is also reliably good (100 ms or so), the latency calculator doesn't seem to be "noticing" the hiccups. I never had this problem on the previous computer (which was running OS X 10.6.8 versus the 10.8.2 on the new machine), and I'm using the same internet connection, so I don't know that it's likely to be the connection itself.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Go to mac menu (apple), preference, Energy saver.
Make sure "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" is NOT check.
also make sure to cap youre FPS at 60 to avoid burning youre graphic card.

I have the exact same hiccus with my late 2012 21.5" imac. I have the GT 650m and 50-60FPS at good settings. The hard disk setup help a bit but I still have a few hiccups from time to time, but its more like half a second instead of 1 to 2 secs, which was horrible.

Do you have fusion drive?
I will get the 27" with the 680mx too, so I want to know what settings are you using? ultra?

Please let me know if the disk setting helped? I have the feeling the 5400 rpm laptop drives they put in the 2012 imacs are just complete garbage.
Edited by Herbapou on 12/20/2012 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I have the same issue. I have the 21.5" iMac with the GT 650m and Fusion Drive. The amount of data on my machine currently means that everything is living on the 128GB SSD of the Fusion Drive. So I don't think the hiccup is related to the 5400rpm 1TB storage portion of the disk. Otherwise everything else is fine, except for the typical drop in frame rates when V Sync is enabled (drops to 30 sometimes 20).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Turning off "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" didn't help at all. I do have a Fusion Drive.

It really looks like a network issue - people run in place, rather than the screen being frozen, and you can sort of queue up spells which will all go off at once when the lag spike is over.
Reply Quote
76 Human Warlock
I am certain it's the iMac, in my case a 27" 2011 model, i7. Three MacBooks/Pros running in the same room, all four machines on wireless. Only my iMac had the lag, in my case up to 30-45 seconds. Appalling - I could not play, and it's especially galling because my iMac is the most powerful of the bunch. Thought maybe my mods were interfering, but I removed them; I use only a couple of CTMods in any case, nothing fancy. I am this morning (12/26) getting 1-4 second lag just moving items into bank bags. Thought it was the holiday player load, but now am thinking it's my iMac. I don't have anti-virus active or any other (known) utilities while I play WoW. I just now turned off the "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" and will come back with a comment about the result. And I am going to search the Web further.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
If you are running on the wireless connection on a 21.5" 2012 iMac, then you should check out the following thread and apply the Wi-Fi Update for your Mac:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415462557

Make sure you are fully updated to 10.8.2 build 12C3104 before attempting the update - it will not allow you to update if you are on build 12C2034.

The 10.8.2 Update for 13" Retina Macbook Pro, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012) and Mac Mini will bring you up to build 12C3104. It is located here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603

Soulhold, have you tried manually assigning a different channel or channels for your iMac? It may be conflicting with one of the other machines and having latency problems as a result.

Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Oddly, the Wi-Fi Update you linked claims to be for all 2012 Macs, but will not run on my 27" iMac (build 12C2037 - not a typo). I can confirm, also, that I am still running wireless driver 612.20.14. I wonder if updating to 612.20.15, if it were possible, would fix things? Though, I'm running over 802.11g, which I understand is 2.4 GHz, so perhaps not.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Chebag, you must be at 10.8.2 build 12C3104. You are at build 12C2037. Unfortunately for the end users, Apple has made the three 2012 Mac lineups very confusing and difficult to update properly. See if your sofrware update shows any potential updates for you. I'll try ro help further when I get gome from the hospital. Can't easily copy/paste my tech support file info from my phone.

Edited by Tiapriestess on 12/27/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Lag spikes can be due to:
1) paging due to RAM (memory) shortage,
2) network issues (see the wireless suggestions above and reboot your router too),
2) instance server lag (my raid group had multiple people lagging in MSV last week)
but this is a Blizzard issue so nothing you can do at your end, and
4) (least likely) malfunctioning disk drive

In fact if you're running 4GB RAM (memory) that is not enough for WoW these days, 4 GB worked fine for Northrend/Cata, but since MOP days WoW itself needs 5-6GB RAM minimum for smooth operation. Since upgrading RAM from 4GB to 12GB my disk-related lag spikes are gone, very smooth now even on my 2-year old iMac.

I also have graphics set to Good rather than Ultra because my CPU is "only" 2.8 GHz i7. Reducing graphics settings a little is another thing to investigate if you already have plenty of RAM and feel the network is not at fault. The 27" screens run at 2560x1440, which is a lot of pixels to update 30-60 times per second.

27" iMac / 12GB / Radeon HD 4850 w/512MB VRAM / MacOS X 10.7.5 (10.8 is better)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Tia, I can't get to build 12C3104; manually downloaded updaters don't run (since I'm at 12C2037) and there's nothing in software update. I think 12C3104 is only for 21.5" iMacs at this point. But it leaves me unable to run the network updater (which may or may not help, since I'm connecting over a 2.4 GHz frequency).

Kasuf, I've got 8GB of RAM, and am not seeing paging in top. I would expect paging to cause display lag rather than network lag, in any case - the screen freezing up, rather than people running smoothly in place. Rebooting the router didn't help, and I haven't noticed any lag spikes in any other applications (including a lot of time spent with an SSH shell). The lag seems to be personal to me - everyone else dodges the tornadoes fine on Blade Lord, I can't because they just stop moving or disappear halfway down the runway. Fun things like that. And the hard drive seems fine, but again I'd expect that to cause display lag rather than network lag? Not sure, though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Another followup: I was able to find an ethernet cable long enough to reach the iMac; plugging it in to my modem eliminated the problem, so it does look like it's a wireless issue. Given that it started exactly when I got this new computer, and that it persists through modem/router reboots, it looks like it's a problem with the computer itself rather than with the connection.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Be sure you are not allowing the computer to sleep, as this causes the OpenGL bug. Additionally, if it's only happening on wifi I would guess that you are getting some interference (may not be from anything on your network). As multiple devices using the same band (other wifi networks for instance) can mess with it. As a final note I will add that wireless networks are notoriously irregular and no serious gamer should be using a wireless connection.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Be sure you are not allowing the computer to sleep, as this causes the OpenGL bug. Additionally, if it's only happening on wifi I would guess that you are getting some interference (may not be from anything on your network). As multiple devices using the same band (other wifi networks for instance) can mess with it. As a final note I will add that wireless networks are notoriously irregular and no serious gamer should be using a wireless connection.

You are bumping a thread to tell a person having network lag about an opengl bug. Wireless networks are good for gaming if it's a reliable network, especially with the fast speeds of N. I wouldn't exactly game over b or g though. This particular case though seemed to be an imac wireless issue. unsure if solved by 10.8.3 or not as it's an old thread pre dating 10.8.3
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I am having these same issues and I have a brand new 21 IMac. Bought 3 weeks ago, with everything up to date!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ires I have the same problem. 27 inch with 16 GB Ram plus with a 680MX video card (brand new). The problem almost resembles a lag spike. I'm convinced this is a problem with the WOW mac client. There was a WOW stuttering problem back in Cata. Looks like they almost fixed the problem but its still there. Only happens about once or twice a minute. Its annoying but I am still able to play the game. Also do not have Vertical Synch on, the FPS will drop from 60 to 30 intermittently if this is on.
Edited by Kelronn on 9/1/2013 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Check your wi-fi router and see if it needs a firmware update.
Edited by Jet on 9/2/2013 5:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Is everyone using a wireless connection that's causing the issue? I was planning on getting a 27" iMac next week and this worries me. I don't use a wireless connection however for my desktop machine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
No, I'm having the same issue (a few second lag spike every minute or so) on my latest generation high-end 27" iMac on a WIRED connection. I also have a MacBook Pro here that is on my wireless connection: that machine does NOT have the problem.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Nouska, the difference between your two systems could be something that's running in the background. I'd try disabling some Login Items and see what happens.

Rate me! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Velnrak
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]