Modifier Macro Not working

90 Human Paladin
/cast [mod:shift,@party1] Word of Glory; [mod:ctrl,@party1] Cleanse; [@party1] Flash Heal

Hi guys, any idea why the shift modifier on this macro works perfectly fine but the ctrl modifiers doesn't work.. So flash heal is fine, world of glory is fine.. but Cleanse doesn't work for some reason.. I've tried many different spells and set ups for that macro.. it doesn't seem to be working in either case.. only the shift mod seems to work.. HELP!!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
You've probably got something bound to Ctrl + your key or have Ctrl set toy your focus/self cast modifier in the Interface menu. Unbind it from these and your macro should work.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro
http://www.macroexplain.com/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not the problem.. I double checked that a while back and did just now again..
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Does ctrl-clicking the macro work?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I think I may be having the same problem, I'll see if I can explain what I've figured out so far.

/cast [mod:shift] Dark Regeneration
/cast [mod:ctrl] Create Healthstone; Healthstone

I have my strafe left key bound to A. I have an actionbar button bound to Shift-A. Using this macro in the Shift-A slot makes the button appear to be used (darkens the slot as if I had activated the macro), but Dark Regeneration never fires, although the healthstone gets used. If I use Shift-click, the macro fires as it should.

Is this really WAI?

EDIT:
Updated macro to be accurate to what I'm using.

EDIT again before someone posts about the obvious:
I am posting on my shaman, but this is for a warlock.
Edited by Mightybright on 12/23/2012 1:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
If you use a modifier as part of the keybinding, the [mod:key] conditional will never be true for that modifier. So if you bind something to shift-A, [mod:shift] will never be true.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/23/2012 01:19 AMPosted by Choonster
If you use a modifier as part of the keybinding, the [mod:key] conditional will never be true for that modifier. So if you bind something to shift-A, [mod:shift] will never be true.

Good to know, although that sounds broken to me.

In any case, I think I'll try a combination of nomod:ctrl ideas and see if it works.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
12/23/2012 01:23 AMPosted by Mightybright
Good to know, although that sounds broken to me.
No it isn't broken. You just have to consider exactly what you are telling the game to do.

When a Macro has a [mod:shift] conditional, you are telling the game "If I hold shift in addition to the hotkey for the macro, do this".

If the activation of the macro already involves the shift key (such as if you have the button bound to shift+key); then you are telling the game, "If I'm holding shift in addition to pressing shift+key, do this".

This is because a modified keystroke is handled by the game as a single hardware event, not as two discrete events.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
No it isn't broken. You just have to consider exactly what you are telling the game to do.

When a Macro has a [mod:shift] conditional, you are telling the game "If I hold shift in addition to the hotkey for the macro, do this".

If the activation of the macro already involves the shift key (such as if you have the button bound to shift+key); then you are telling the game, "If I'm holding shift in addition to pressing shift+key, do this".

This is because a modified keystroke is handled by the game as a single hardware event, not as two discrete events.

Ok, I suppose that makes sense from a program(ming) standpoint, but from a human standpoint, there should be a conditional for "if I am pressing this key" regardless of any keybinding. According to wowwiki (Making a Macro article):

modifier:shift/ctrl/alt or mod:shift/ctrl/alt — Holding the given key

In addition, I would argue that the current implementation as you describe it will only cause more posts like this and bugfix requests to emerge since it doesn't work as expected even though it may be working as intended.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I'd also like to point out that even though the functionality may not be working, the icons DO work, adding to the confusion. This could lead someone to believe that there are two separate implementations in play here - one for visual and one for functionality.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
...two separate implementations in play here - one for visual and one for functionality.

That's because there are two different implementations in play. There is the function that displays the icon/tooltip dynamically, and there is the function that runs the commands in the macro.

One of those functions needs to update dynamically, whether or not the macro is being activated, and the other needs to do absolutely nothing unless the macro is activated.

The macro system always listens for modifier keys so that it can dynamically update icons/tooltips appropriately. When a Keybinding is detected, the game engine then runs the appropriate function for that keybind (this is the point when shift+key changes from an event and a modifier to a modified event). If the appropriate function is a macro, the macro interpreter then checks to see if there are any modifier keys held in addition to the keybind (which at this point is effectively a single event).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]