Druid Raid healing Glyph: swiftmend

85 Goblin Rogue
A possible solution to the problem of sniped heals for druids could be the following glyph.

Swiftmend
Your swiftmend is now a passive ability affecting Wild Growth, Rejuvination and Tranquility. When another players direct heal (not a HoT) hits a friendly player with one of these spells on her the HoT is swiftmended, applying a heal equal to the other players heal. This heal applies before the other heal does.

Eg
Tank has 10k of 20k health,
Druid applies rejuv,
tank has 12k,
paladin heals for 5k
rejuv is swiftmended, giving a 5k heal (zero overheal)
paladins heal hits at the same time, for 5k, of which 2k is overheal.

Special case: Tranquility
Tranquility will need to apply 5 stacks as it is channeled by the druid and each heal NOT from the druid swiftmends as above but eats ONLY ONE STACK (20% of the tranquility).

Special case: tanks
Spamming rejuv on the tank is now really powerful; so have a swiftmend apply a 5 sec debuff preventing another swiftmend. After 5 sec: debuff gone = rejuv can be swiftmended by another healers spell.

Of course, druids now DONT have a swiftmend button when they have this glyphed.

comments and criticisms invited!
Bug
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
wtf is the point of this, just so that rdruids can do better on the meterzzzz?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
In an aoe raid situation a lot of the druids healing is wasted.

If someones health is low, the druid is best off putting a HoT on them and moving on (wild growth/rejuv/etc). Another healer will be casting aoe smart heals (chain heal, circle of healing, etc). These spells will also hit the hurt player.

Without swiftmend glyph the other spells keep hitting the player untill they are full, wasting alot of the HoT.

With swiftmend glyph the spells trigger swiftmend, using the HoT to help heal MORE and filling up the targets health faster, so it takes less aoe casts to fill up the health bar of that person and the druids spell was actually USEFUL.

The druid gets credit first (because he cast his heal first) but both spells benefit the target.

Also: the druid is busy casting spells but many people just look at the meters and say "he is useless" or "he isnt doing anything" because his spells mostly are wasted by poor mechanics or poor gameplay on the part of other healers (often they cant help it). With this glyph the druid gets credit for his work and his spells arnt wasted, but the OTHER healers still need to trigger the swiftmend, so they are also helping. Synergy = clever gameplay = more fun
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yes but if the druid's heal hits first, then it leads to the issue that other healers end up with just as high overhealing as a resto druid currently has and can claim that the druid is sniping them.

It's like me putting a power word shield on a target that won't shield them unless someone else's shield is going to be used up.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In an aoe raid situation a lot of the druids healing is wasted.

So cast less in aoe.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Healing over a hot and getting penalised for it is hardly a bad thing... The target gets topped off quicker and your NEXT heal doesnt get sent to him/her by "smart" healing mechanics. Really, if you are overhealing because of this mechanic you shouldnt have cast the heal in the first place, all this does is make YOU pay the overhealing not the druid who was there first.

As for "casting less", try it... you wont last a week before you are replaced in the raid lineup, when your effective healing is far lower than anyone else.

The point of the glyph is to make aoe raid healing work for druids, to prevent their heals being totally wasted and to prevent people voting them out of groups based upon shallow interpretations of meters when they are working really hard (and correctly geared).

The mechanics enforce a degree of waste. The healer that heals over the top of a HoT is wasting the HoT and should pay the overhealing. If it is really important to top the target off fast, and wasting the HoT is justified because of the speed, this glyph HELPS top people off faster.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Well, aside from the ridiculous effect of doubling healing on anyone with a hot on them, since you've made no mention of the hot getting consumed or diminished when the effect is triggered, it really does just seem like a push to make sure druids get high representation on healing meters. If you were concerned about healing being wasted, you would have designed something to help redistribute the wasted healing, not just have the game give healing credit to the druid instead which has no combat significance whatsoever.

Its not like druids are in a particularly special place with heals getting "sniped". My shaman has healing rain down 100% of the time in many encounters, sometimes with most/all of the raid in it. Clearly, I'm there first all the time, every time, on everyone. I should get 100% of the healing credit, obviously. Or holy priests with sanctuary down.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
To be honest what we need is a instant smart heal.

Or even a spell similar to a monks uplift would work, if it worked off a HoT of ours like Wild Growth, making everyone with wild growth on them recieve an instant heal removing the Wild Growth HoT.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
12/29/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Xiata

....Wild Growth?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/29/2012 11:51 PMPosted by Fleurs

....Wild Growth?

Think she means and instant smart burst heal. A la Circle of healing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you are having that much trouble as a resto druid, you are either running too many healers, or you don't have good synergy with your co-healer(s). If you run with a priest, you may want to change your playstyle to be more tank-focused. I almost exclusively two-heal with a priest, and although I never top the meters, I am rarely that far behind, and my overheal has dropped down to about 11%, which is absurdly low compared to my 30-40% in DS. I rarely have many Rejuves out at once, unless the situation requires it (DPS flirting with Attunement rings, sigh), and rely almost entirely on WG and Rejuve/SM for raid healing.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that the suggstion in the OP would be absolutely absurd in PvP.
Edited by Pipikaula on 12/30/2012 9:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
Seems to me that it would just make Resto Druids look better on the meters while shifting all of that overhealing to other healers. It's also way too complicated for a glyph, and Resto would lose out on their strong single target heal AND Efflorescence by taking it. Not a good idea, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Really all it is intended to do is make key HoTs swiftmended and consumed by the next heal to land on their target. All the mechanics occur behind the scenes.

Sniping says "your heals are too slow... here let me help you out" and this glyph is a way of saying "OK, so dont waste my heal, your heal now HELPS mine work faster."

Sniping a heal is wasteful, of time and mana, or of charges on circle of healing or jumps of chain heal. It is a behaviour forced onto healers by the mechanics and by the simple fact that it is EASIER. That waste should be bourne by the sniper, who chose to heal over a HoT and waste it.

Perhaps if it was restricted only to wild growth, then it turns WG into quite a nice burst heal when it needs to be (ie more than one smart heal hitting a given target) but leaving it alone otherwise. This would make it kind of weak though...

I really like what Pipikaula said. Yeah, having a good partner is great. I wish we all could.

Im not sure how it is OP in PvP unless you are running more than 1 healer, even then it only replicates the 2nd heal to land and consumes the HoT in the process. IMO a rejuv is far stronger than a flash heal and turning the rejuv into a 2nd flash heal would be a decision the 2nd healer should make with caution.

I quite like the idea of setting up burst healing with a HoT then triggering it with another healers spell... this makes for some real clever teamwork.

I also dont like seeing druids get their heals sniped, then getting flak for bad meters when they are working their asses off. Druids have a bad rep atm, one that they dont deserve. They shouldnt be called "the weakest healers" and it is silly that their playstyle be opposed to fast paced healing by the fact that their heals take a little time to work.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Your proposal is OP in PvP because it can be triggered by any heal from someone other than a druid. Since most classes have self-heals now, and mages get Healing Touch from Symbiosis, I can stack Rejuve and Wild Growth on, say, an Unholy DK, and they can pop themselves almost back up to full with a single Death Strike. Since they aren't technically a tank, I can spam Rejuve and they can spam Death Strike (well, limited by runes) and never die.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/29/2012 11:57 PMPosted by Keirisonis

....Wild Growth?

Think she means and instant smart burst heal. A la Circle of healing.

Yes, some kind of burst heal. Like I said, even a spell like uplift would work.

*Instantly heal targets with Wild Growth on them for x amount*

So get this, I always heal everything with a Hpally. And he snipes my heals pretty badly since he likes to see people at 100% all the time and my heals are "too slow".

I did vaults the other day with him on my Disc Priest and he goes "your heals are a lot better on your Priest"

Druid iLvl - 495 / Priest iLvl - 477

My druid has always been my main and it "feels" better to me to heal on, but this actually bothered me. I don't want to main switch but it made me realize how OP Disc is right now and had blah Druids are. Basically on my Priest he couldn't SNIPE my heals, so he wasn't 10k+ ahead on me in HPS.

Usually my druid is 50-55k, while the pally is 60-65k.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
For burst healing, do you think something like this would work?

http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/-15615684/Foul-Growth
http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/942992055/Explosive-Growth
http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/-49483444/Loathsome-Restoration

Obviously I mean an AoE version (maybe make mushrooms a Wild Growth-esque heal similar to Explosive Growth), but it's still an interesting concept IMO.
Reply Quote

Obviously I mean an AoE version (maybe make mushrooms a Wild Growth-esque heal similar to Explosive Growth), but it's still an interesting concept IMO.

I dunno, a delayed heal seems pretty tricky to use. It's not just proactive, like most of a Druid's Hot, you have to plan on raid wide damage 10 seconds in advance. Use it too early and the heal bursts before you take damage, and use it too late, and the other healers have already healed up everything. The short window of time works okay when there's predictable damage, but otherwise, it becomes really hard to use well. I mean, that's why Lifebloom's HoT is so much more useful than the bloom, right? It's an interesting concept, but it would have a very high skill requirement to use well. It doesn't have to be 10 seconds though, but anything longer than 5 would require too much planning, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Ahhh, I see why you thought it might be good in pvp... but remember when you trigger it you get a copy of your trigger spell and then cant trigger it for another 5 sec, all at the cost of removing a HoT.

Im real sorry, but I dont know how much a DS heals for on a (non-blood) pvp DK. I think to be OP you would need perhaps a 60% heal from the combined effect, which would need the DS ALONE to heal for 30% of your health. Maybe they do but I have trouble believing it.

As for combining DS spam with rejuv spam... you are only getting the first tick of the rejuv and each DS heals for (the tooltip says) 8% or so health... so Im _guessing_ the combined effect is
1) a weak DS hit
2) 2x 8% heal and 1 rejuv tick
in return for
1) the cost of the rejuv
2) you and your healer using a gcd
all for 20% (?) healing. And then you cant do it for 5 sec more.

A better example may be a big WoG... I can see a really good crit, doubled by this mechanic, really turning things arround. This seems more like stars alligning though and it would be hard to do often.

--- off topic ---
As for a replacement burst heal... I really like the idea that a druid grows a mushroom (gcd + mana cost) then someone clicks on it for a healing touch sized heal (single target). The seccond action costs a GCD too. Maybe let them grow lots of mushrooms!

You can then use idle time (or moving time) to cover the room in single use big heals. Problem is, they have to come to the heals (lightwell 2.0, nobody ever clicked those) or the heals have to be put under them.

Oooooor... maybe I play my Mystic too much and just like covering the room in red and blue skittles in a certain other MMO that we wont mention.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

I dunno, a delayed heal seems pretty tricky to use. It's not just proactive, like most of a Druid's Hot, you have to plan on raid wide damage 10 seconds in advance. Use it too early and the heal bursts before you take damage, and use it too late, and the other healers have already healed up everything. The short window of time works okay when there's predictable damage, but otherwise, it becomes really hard to use well. I mean, that's why Lifebloom's HoT is so much more useful than the bloom, right? It's an interesting concept, but it would have a very high skill requirement to use well. It doesn't have to be 10 seconds though, but anything longer than 5 would require too much planning, in my opinion.

Well AFAIK those have an interaction with some other spells that causes Foul Growth to apply to key targets while DPSing, so I can see how it wouldn't really work without it.

Although it could be an interesting way to make DoC not blow for resto, maybe?
Edited by Dysrhythmia on 12/30/2012 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I always thought healers weren't meter!@#$%s like DPS. Guess I was wrong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]