Is Rare 'Stealing' Reportable?

(Locked)

100 Tauren Warrior
By Rare 'stealing' I don't mean "WHAAAAAAAA he tagged it before me I'm going to complain and insist he be punished!"

I was fighting one of the rare spawns at Domination Point and had him down to about 35% health when an Orc DK decided to fly down and taunted him to the point of resetting and managed to get the tag on him when he reset. Is this reportable or am I supposed to just deal with this blatant 'middle-finger' to my face?
90 Pandaren Monk
I think taunting a rare so it resets is considered a form of griefing, which makes it a reportable offensive. At least that is what I've seen as a common consensus around the forums. I don't have first-hand experience in the matter.
As it was someone from your own faction, it might be. Ask over in Customer Service, the crowd there is more likely to have an actual answer.
90 Human Paladin
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's considered both griefing and abusing an exploit. I doubt you'll get anything back, but he'll probably get his wrist slapped.
70 Night Elf Death Knight
A clever exploitation, but an exploit nonetheless.
100 Blood Elf Priest
Unfortunately, no, it is not reportable as it will spawn again and each person has just as much right to try for the rares as you do. Remember, being a jerk, though asinine, is not against the rules.
Customer Support
Depending on a few factors, this might be something a Game Master would investigate, Worgenbane. Generally speaking, we don't assist with issues in the open world related to combat, PvP, etc. but a player from your own faction does introduce some factors that the investigating Game Master may take into consideration.
100 Human Priest
I'd think it would be because there is no PvP solution to someone of your own faction doing this.
100 Tauren Warrior
12/31/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Houndstooth
Good question. Was it the solider guy with heroic leap? After a tag-war with another alliance player, I sat there watching him and the NPC targetted me. I tried to run away but he kept targeting me with the leap so eventually he reset. I figured no biggie, wasn't my fault he kept targetting me without me even attacking him. And I certainly wasn't going to die so the other guy could kill him easy.

It was him. But this was no accident. The DK kept using Death Grip and taunting as he walked him away.
90 Pandaren Monk
Obviously I think things like taunting and resetting are a situation where someone might get a slap on the hand because that could be considered harassment.

As far as someone getting the tag first that's just the game, I've never heard of a GM doing anything in a case like that. But I've had my fair share of Horde making Alliance alts and doing the whole "wahhh" thing. :)
39 Orc Warlock
I thought that if you tried to taunt a mob tagged by another person, it gave you the error message of "that unit is already tapped", or something similar?

I've had people try to kite things away from me and reset them, but they have been unsuccessful - it is still obnoxious and definitely against the spirit of the game.
90 Undead Rogue
12/31/2012 11:17 AMPosted by Medearn
Depending on a few factors, this might be something a Game Master would investigate, Worgenbane. Generally speaking, we don't assist with issues in the open world related to combat, PvP, etc. but a player from your own faction does introduce some factors that the investigating Game Master may take into consideration.

Hello Medearm, i was a victim of this new griefing twice already, perhaps intead of start taking into consideration we should start taking action against this form of abuse?
The use of taunt for such thing it should be considered an exploit until Blizz find a way to make those none tagged enemies inmune to outside taunts.
100 Human Paladin
12/31/2012 11:17 AMPosted by Medearn

Not to sound rude, Medearn, but there is a very large difference between dealing with issues in open world related to combat and someone blatantly exploiting a mobs mechanics to force a reset in order to claim the tag for themselves.

This isn't acting on game mechanics as they were intended. This isn't another player killing someone from an opposite faction to claim the rare, it's exploitation, and that is against the ToS.
90 Goblin Hunter
It is definitely worth reporting as it appears to be an exploit. Be sure to state all the facts with minimal emotion and limit any hyperbole. You want the GM to fully understand what happened without trying to weed through a lot of emotion. I really hope that, if it was an intentional use of an exploit in game mechanics, action is taken.
90 Worgen Druid
I wish I knew that was reportable. Someone did that to me on my hunter. They taunted the mob until it one shotted me because it was too far away (it was one of the pandaren ones). It was odd because it despawned my pet, and since I was the only one that tagged it at the time, the mob hit me. Reset, and they stole it.

I'll add they were same faction (in fact, whispered me in antagonizing methods afterwards, with "hahahaha" etc) - and I play on a pve server.
Edited by Urszula on 12/31/2012 11:50 AM PST
100 Human Rogue
I know a blue has already weighed in on this, but I'd think this should be perfectly reportable regardless of faction. To me it reads as an Exploit giving the person who taunts an unfair advantage over other classes who cannot.

Abuse of an exploit that causes unintended events, like loss of a tag on any mob.

But this is whole sale opinion and as noted a blue has weighed in already meaning my perception is most likely wrong.
Edited by Sweebish on 12/31/2012 12:23 PM PST
100 Pandaren Monk
Explain to me the part where he exploited a glitch?

Mobs are made to reset upon pulling them out of their spawning zone. This is to discourage and disable people from dragging larger elite mobs into cities to wreck havoc.

We as players are given the ability to taunt mobs and kite. It's part of our tools and is required and encouraged in many cases.

So what about resetting someone's mob is "an exploit?"

I understand you all consider it to be "not a very nice thing to do," but calling it an exploited glitch? It's just not.
Edited by Dragonberry on 12/31/2012 12:24 PM PST
90 Troll Hunter
For what it's worth, someone did something similar to me and a few guild mates back in Cata. We didn't report him to Blizzard, but we did talk to his Guild Master about it, complete with screenshots to demonstrate what was happening and where/when. The guy wound up getting kicked out of his guild over it.

Also, the blue response here seems to imply that this sort of thing is considered acceptable.... which is in itself kind of depressing.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]