509 16/16 H Warlock DEMONOLOGY Guide

90 Dwarf Warlock
02/05/2013 12:52 AMPosted by Somewhat
Hmm, I sort of wish the OP would write the rest of this. Re: carrion swarm, if you aren't using the knockback on Feng you will definitely want it on Tsulong.

I wish he would finish it too, because I haven't really played much demo ever since the beginning of the tier for Feng (Also was discouraged using it for PVP ever since the Aura and Chaos Wave nerfs). I made the switch over to destro for fights like Wind lord and Tsulong because I prefer the playstyle, but I would like to be better with Demo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Glyph of Soulstone: I feel like warlocks should never be the ones to battle rez, but if your raid needs you to, this is the glyph you are gonna want to take. Try to push the fact that it's much better for a Druid/DK to do because it's instant!

Good guide so far, but this is my only gripe.

DK's are the only instant cast Brez.
Locks (with haste) have about a 2.5 second cast on their brez (SS)
Druids (with haste) have about a 2 second cast on their brez.

While I agree it is almost always better for a resto/boom druid to brez, I can say the reasons for that are almost the same for a warlock. (They are already at range and can control where the person will revive without losing DPS time.)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
[quote]

DK's are the only instant cast Brez.
Locks (with haste) have about a 2.5 second cast on their brez (SS)

I'm failing to see how the information posted was wrong. Predatory strikes makes rebirth instant, no? If you reaaaally wanted to scour over the minute details of a brez priority, the order is correct. Resto and Balance have the glyph slot available, while demo can make use of the three majors to an extent. Wish the same could be said for aff / destro.

edit: KURSED
Edited by Ezzyoh on 2/6/2013 12:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Wow guys. Don't complain about OP not finishing it. You should be thankful for what you have, kids in Africa don't have 1/5 of a demo guide like you all do.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
HiJ
02/05/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Whyzlock
Warlocks don't have http://www.wowhead.com/spell=16974 or http://www.wowhead.com/spell=132158

02/06/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Shakmaha
Wow guys. Don't complain about OP not finishing it. You should be thankful for what you have, kids in Africa don't have 1/5 of a demo guide like you all do.
I certainly don't mean to complain. It's a very good 1/5 of a demo guide.
Edited by Somewhat on 2/6/2013 12:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/06/2013 12:39 AMPosted by Somewhat
Warlocks don't have http://www.wowhead.com/spell=16974 or http://www.wowhead.com/spell=132158

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Whydrood/

Sorry, on my druid (resto), if I am speced into it for that fight, that ability is on cool down 99.9% of the time. See like most other classes that spec into a talent like that, I use it for throughput not "I am going to save this on the off chance that someone dies". As a healer it is much more useful for me to use this in combination with a healing touch or a regrowth once a minute or so. I don't save it up for when a rebirth is needed because my rebirth has a lower cast time than my healing touch (1.84s vs 2.24) and on the majority of fights you can't anticipate when someone is going to die, though its a good bet someone is going to take enough damage to NS:HT every minute. Not using Nature's Swiftness on CD is like not using Dark Soul in LFR because you want it off CD for whenever the mages/shamans fat finger TW/Hero/BL. Your idea looks good on paper, but try that excuse on someone who doesn't raid on a resto druid AND a warlock and has no issues Brezing someone on either class, even with a cast time.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

Not using Nature's Swiftness on CD is like not using Dark Soul in LFR because you want it off CD for whenever the mages/shamans fat finger TW/Hero/BL

Did I miss something in this log of yours?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/114okik5zhtdehfw/details/8/

6/6 and 2/6 where I don't see you casting NS once.
Edited by Ezzyz on 2/6/2013 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Not using Nature's Swiftness on CD is like not using Dark Soul in LFR because you want it off CD for whenever the mages/shamans fat finger TW/Hero/BL

Did I miss something in this log of yours?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/114okik5zhtdehfw/details/8/

6/6 and 2/6 where I don't see you casting NS once.

So 1 log where I may or may not have speced (honestly I don't remember, I didn't use Cenarion Ward or Renewal either, but the next day on Garalon attempts I was using Cenarion Ward) into NS debunks my argument that a Warlock can revive a raid member just as easily as a resto/boom druid? BTW, in that run, rebirth was used twice by me. That's a total of 4 seconds in a 3 hour time frame where a talent like NS would be "useful" in conjunction with rebirth. But since I am bad at managing my CD's, look at the top tier druid logs and see what they use NS for and how often they use it. I guarantee 99% of them aren't saving it up for rebirth.

The OP's comment "I feel like warlocks should never be the ones to battle rez" is a total cop out, and his reasoning behind it is flawed. DK's are the ONLY instant cast Brez. Period. Saying another class is better because they can talent into an instant cast battle rez is nothing more than saying "I don't want to do anything but pad the meters". Personally I feel that if you want to do that, roll a mage or stick with LFR, otherwise don't whine when you are asked to use a spell to save the raid. You don't have to glyph to use Soulstone for it to be effective, I rarely ever do because the only person who would gain any benefit from it would be a tank.

If you want a valid argument for why Glyph of Soulstone shouldn't be used by a warlock:
The healers should be anticipating the player accepting the rez and be able to easily get him back to full health (might I suggest a NS:HT?). The only reason this glyph would be beneficial is when a raid member revives themselves at the wrong time (like during a heavy raid damage ability like crush, rain of blades or epicenter) or if it is used on a tank that needs to immediately taunt the boss. If this happens, it is generally the fault of that raid member for accepting the rez at the wrong time, and not the fault of the warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
HiJ
02/06/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Whyzlock
DK's are the ONLY instant cast Brez. Period.

I guess predatory swiftness still doesn't exist.

I generally agree that locks should take the soulstone glyph, though, just because the alternatives are useless unless your strat involves glyphed fear or glyphed CoEx.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
02/06/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Somewhat
or glyphed CoEx.

Demo thread! To the overly defensive poster above, I don't feel like wading through the plenty of logs where druids actually NS+Rebirth (I honestly picked a random log of yours, just happened to be mildly amusing it went entirely against your point).

But just for fun, I picked another completely random parse

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3h1qktc00cun7ng5/sum/damageDone/?s=1698&e=1916

I think you should start using the 99% bit a tad less.

In any case, this is the most petty thing in the thread to even disagree on, back to waiting for pyru to copy paste the rest over.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/04/2013 09:48 AMPosted by Soulzar
And why the hell are you talking about knockback uses in PvP when the thread is about Raiding Demonology...

Thread says Demonology guide, not Demonology RAIDING guide. I assumed this covered all aspects of demonology but w/e
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/06/2013 04:31 PMPosted by Ezzyz
or glyphed CoEx.

Demo thread! To the overly defensive poster above, I don't feel like wading through the plenty of logs where druids actually NS+Rebirth (I honestly picked a random log of yours, just happened to be mildly amusing it went entirely against your point).

But just for fun, I picked another completely random parse

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3h1qktc00cun7ng5/sum/damageDone/?s=1698&e=1916

I think you should start using the 99% bit a tad less.

In any case, this is the most petty thing in the thread to even disagree on, back to waiting for pyru to copy paste the rest over.

Stone Guard - 3:54 fight: used 3 times (pretty much on CD)
Feng - 5 minute fight: used 5 times (on CD)
Gara'jal - 3 minute fight: used 3 times (on CD)
Spirit Kings - 7 min fight: used 5 times (pretty much on CD)
Elegon - 6 minute fight: used 4 times (pretty much on CD)
Will - 11 min fight: used 10 times (on CD).

I think this log is a pretty good example of how druids use the talent that increases their heal by 20% and makes it instant instead of waiting around for someone to die so they have an instant cast Rebirth.

Yeah its petty, but like I said, it was my only gripe with the OP.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Guys, come on. dont pollute an awesome guide with your petty bickering. Take it somewhere else.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
02/06/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Gaarâ
Guys, come on. dont pollute an awesome guide with your petty bickering. Take it somewhere else.

Everyone's getting so salty in here. We're supposed to be warlock bros. Also, I usually run with Glyph of Soulstone, but our resto druid is our primary b-res for what it's worth. (10man)

Ezzy Ezzy how ya doin huhhhhh
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Gonna go relatively deep on openers / execution of cooldown phases. Not super important to know if you're not level cap, but still good to know for when you're eventually stepping into raids.

Demonology dps is fairly low caster dps (with a bit of demon form dps to dump excess fury) carried by EXTREMELY high burst dps (In raid-level gear it can reach 200-300k burst) during cooldown popping phases (every two minutes without the 4-piece bonus, every 1 minute 20 seconds with it, alternating between extremely powerful burn phases and moderately powerful burn phases).

If you have the t14 4pc (1 minute 20 second CD on Dark Soul), it'll be every OTHER DS that has extremely high burst. Basically works out like this:
1st DS: DS + GrimService:Felguard + Imp Swarm + Flashfrozen Resin Globule Trinket + other procs
2nd DS: DS alone (synapse springs if you're engineering can help a bit)
3rd DS: same as 1st.

Note: Flashfrozen Resin Globule is BiS for Demo locks until heroic t14 raids. It lines up almost perfectly with DS when you have the 4-piece set bonus. I highly recommend picking this up whenever you can.

You basically pool as much Demonic Fury as you possibly can (without capping; remaining between 700-1000, pop into meta and spam ToC if you're going to cap out) and then you burn through all of it when you pop all of your cooldowns.

You generally want to avoid using chaos wave as much as possible. I usually time my HoG so I can hit the second one (just before the 1st one falls off, that way it goes back up to full duration with 2 stacks) just as I'm going into meta (it receives the meta damage bonus if you pop into demon form before it lands. Not a HUGE bonus but a bonus nonetheless). You can usually weave in 3 GCD's worth of spells (4.5 seconds, enough time to cast any combo of two shadow bolts / soul fires as long as you have enough haste) before you need to cast HoG again for it to hit just before the shadowflame dot falls off.

You want to be using Imp Swarm and GrimService:Felguard with Dark Soul. Always. Both benefit from Dark Soul and it would end up being a DPS loss not using them with Dark Soul, even with the 4-piece bonus.

You want to pop DS at the start of the fight even if you're only sitting on 200 fury. With the opener I use I can get ALMOST full meta uptime during DS:
-Pre-pot
-CoE (Only warlock in my raid, so I have to use a GCD applying it)
-1st HoG
-Imp Swarm
-GrimServ:Felguard + Dark Soul (Macro'd together)
-Corruption
-2nd HoG
-Meta
-Doom
-ToC spamming until out of fury
-Soul fire once, sometimes twice, depending how much more fury I'll need to stay in meta for the rest of DS/procs
-Back into meta -> ToC spamming + re-applying doom once before procs fall off (if 4pc, pandemic means your Doom will always be buffed by DS)

From then on it's the normal old caster rotation + popping into demon form to dump fury down to 700 if you're about to cap fury.

Almost the same deal when you're popping DS with GrimServ:Felguard and Imp Swarm up (Every DS without 4pc, every other DS with 4pc) and HoG is about to be at 2 charges
-1st HoG
-Life Tap or Corruption (depends on if Corruption has enough time left to last until the first ToC cast)
-Imp Swarm
-DS + GrimServ:Felguard
-2nd HoG
-Go Meta and ToC Spam / Refresh Doom as needed

Hope this information helps :)

There ya go. More useful than anything in this thread. Thanks Dotexe you is pro! <3
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
There ya go. More useful than anything in this thread. Thanks Dotexe you is pro! <3

YEAH BUT PYRU DIDNT WRITE IT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Ezzy said Pyru has it written!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Excellent guide, am eagerly awaiting more. Thank you for what you have done so far!

On the SS thing, really, it's a moot point. Do what your raid needs. Raiding is a team sport, sometimes you have to reduce your primary part to boost a secondary part so the team wins.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Live
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]