EMERGENCY!!!! in game pst about suicide

(Locked)

12 Worgen Warrior
Please have a GM contact me immediately, I am on shamwownow on senjin, dranei shammy, someone just pst a guildie of mine, said they were going to kill themselves, and then logged off
90 Tauren Priest
Call Blizzard, tell them, they can get account info and notify police in the players area. They take it pretty serious.
01/02/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Gnatbutter
Call Blizzard, tell them, they can get account info and notify police in the players area. They take it pretty serious.
12 Worgen Warrior
10 min wait on customer service line, we are trying that route as well
100 Blood Elf Rogue
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2016083724
90 Worgen Hunter
Call the police as well. I know its not much help, but they may be able to do something. Do you know where they might be located?
90 Draenei Monk
Make sure you open a ticket in game as well, the filter should pick it up as a priority.
12 Worgen Warrior
we are trying every outlet we can to contact them to try to help
12 Worgen Warrior
don't know what town he is in to be able to call the police, and both my guildie and myself opened tickets
100 Tauren Druid
Blizzard can find out the addy because they have the account info

First this isn't a suicide hot line.

Second if we had to find every person that "said" they were going to kill themselves, we would be here ALL day.

Third, this has happened before (many times) not just WoW. People LIKE to bring attention to themselves, it doesn't mean they will ACTUALLY do it... because someone like you was concerned they tried to help, only to find out it was ALL a cruel joke

They can pick up the phone just as easily to CALL someone for help.. they wouldn't whisper you..

So bottom line is, we can't assume everyone is telling the truth, so it's not an "emergency"... If they REALLY want to commit suicide, they would have done it ALREADY they wouldn't send a text before hand...

Blizzard takes threats very seriously. And want you to report it if someone talks about harming themselves like that

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2016083724
Edited by Yzzami on 1/2/2013 2:01 PM PST
97 Undead Warlock
Please have a GM contact me immediately, I am on shamwownow on senjin, dranei shammy, someone just pst a guildie of mine, said they were going to kill themselves, and then logged off

Second if we had to find every person that "said" they were going to kill themselves, we would be here ALL day.

Third, this has happened before (many times) not just WoW. People LIKE to bring attention to themselves, it doesn't mean they will ACTUALLY do it... because someone like you was concerned they tried to help, only to find out it was ALL a cruel joke

They can pick up the phone just as easily to CALL someone for help.. they wouldn't whisper you..

So bottom line is, we can't assume everyone is telling the truth, so it's not an "emergency"... If they REALLY want to commit suicide, they would have done it ALREADY they wouldn't send a text before hand...

People who joke about suicide should have the cops called on them
People who aren't joking should have the cops called on them.

I really don't see what you would gain by NOT calling the police, except being smug about how you weren't fooled by those damn internet hipsters and their suicide pranks.
Edited by Captnronn on 1/2/2013 2:01 PM PST
90 Worgen Hunter

This is no reason to not believe it. Every threat of self harm should be investigated. Ignoring it could be the one time they were serious!
90 Draenei Death Knight
01/02/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Captnronn

People who joke about suicide should have the cops called on them
People who aren't joking should have the cops called on them.

I really don't see what you would gain by NOT calling the police, except being smug about how you weren't fooled by those damn internet hipsters and their suicide pranks.
90 Draenei Shaman
01/02/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Appi

It IS an emergency, and meets criteria for a psych hold. Personally, like the OP, I'd rather waste my time running around trying to get in touch with someone than do nothing and find out it was real. Further, though it's rarely prosecuted, it's illegal to not report if it turns out to be true.
90 Human Priest

Or here is another thought.. we are taking your word... maybe YOU took it out of context.. People use phrases like "I am going to kill you" or "I am going to kill myself"... It's a GAME duh, you sure they didn't mean.. their TOON?!?

There could be MANY ways this can be construed not just IRL.

A plea for help is usually consistent with people who take their lives. And blizzard takes it very seriously so take your tinfoil hat and go elsewhere.

If someone is found to be a threat (even a POTENTIAL threat) to themselves, it is a mandatory 24 hour hospital stay and psych evaluation by the way.
Edited by Lelliana on 1/2/2013 2:04 PM PST
100 Orc Hunter
10/10 for the hillarous bites.
90 Human Mage
People who joke about suicide should have the cops called on themPeople who aren't joking should have the cops called on them.
90 Tauren Paladin

Or here is another thought.. we are taking your word... maybe YOU took it out of context.. People use phrases like "I am going to kill you" or "I am going to kill myself"... It's a GAME duh, you sure they didn't mean.. their TOON?!?

There could be MANY ways this can be construed not just IRL.

Literally no one asked if you felt like giving your professional opinion on this. Jerk.
Edited by Derkhoof on 1/2/2013 2:04 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]