Farming cloth... are dungeons the best way?

So I am working on leveling tailoring. PITA. I've stuck to mostly running instances non-stop. I grabbed around 2-3 stacks of cloth out of Ragefire Chasm per run. Around 3-4 stacks of wool per run of SFK. Apparently Scarlet Monastery was nerfed, so I moved to Ulduman where I am getting around 3-4 stacks per run. But still, silk on up (especially Netherweave, Frostweave, and Embersilk) require a ridiculous amount of cloth to level.. So am I doing it the most efficient way? If I keep getting around 4 stacks per run, it's going to take me around 10-12 runs of EACH cloth type except WOTLK dungeons where it will take me 15-20 runs... uggh. Can someone tell me if Northrend scavenging improves these numbers (i.e. more stacks from dungeons?)

I am trying to avoid the AH, as I know for a fact I am going to need to save my money for 525-600 and Windwool and other mats.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
For Frostweave, the best spot to farm is the Fallen Heroes area in Icecrown, not dungeons. For Embersilk, and I don't know if this has changed, the best spot was to use a Potion of Treasure Finding and farm the Troggs in Deepholm. I don't remember the exact spot off the top of my head, but it was an area where they would instantly respawn over and over, and you could farm non-stop for an hour with the Potion.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Prior to Frostweave, your best bet is to simply buy the cloth off of the AH. By the time you hit Northrend mats though, the cloth drop rate will have been drastically reduced and you will need scavenging to find cloth, but as a tailor, you will find a lot of it.
Reply Quote
5 Human Mage
12/20/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Adarant
For Frostweave, the best spot to farm is the Fallen Heroes area in Icecrown, not dungeons. For Embersilk, and I don't know if this has changed, the best spot was to use a Potion of Treasure Finding and farm the Troggs in Deepholm. I don't remember the exact spot off the top of my head, but it was an area where they would instantly respawn over and over, and you could farm non-stop for an hour with the Potion.

This is all true. The Trogg\Dwarf battle in Deepholm.

I also farmed Frostweave at this spot. http://www.wowhead.com/quest=12939

The mobs constantly respawn, and you can just stand there and kill them. No moving required.

Also, make sure you complete the quest to get Northrend Cloth Scavenging as soon as you can. You can do it in dalaran I think at level 325 tailoring. http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Cloth_Scavenging

Use this guide, and the author also has good farming locations on the site for anything. http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-tailoring-guide.html

I personally did Silk in SM, and it did not seem to be nerfed to me. It did take more than an hour to farm up though, as alot of silk is needed.

And on the question of Northrend Scavenging, it only affects cloth drops of Frostweave and up. Not lower level cloth drops.
Reply Quote
That's the guide I've been using. Running both SM and Scarlet Halls last night netted me a total of like 3 stacks. One Uldaman run netted me 4 stacks AND like 2 stacks of Mageweave. Not to mention going outside of Uldaman to reset the instance you can usually get like another 1/4 to 1/2 of a stack from the normal mobs out there.

As for the AH.... uggh... If you look at my server, you'll notice it's a low pop server. :( This means that while I can get Netherweave and Runecloth and such for less than 1g per piece on my other servers, on here you're looking at usually around 3g per piece on here. And at 790 Netherweave needed...... phew.... I mean I will if I have to.. but embersilk is like 3-5g per piece, and Frostweave isn't even available at the quantities needed (well, none of them are really) and that's the most at around 5-6 per piece.

Anyway, I know I was walking out with around 4-5 stacks of Runecloth from UBRS, have enough Mageweave, and need about 12 more stacks of silk.. After that I guess I'll just run through BC instances and hope that the 4 stacks per run holds up.. then farm in Icecrown and Deepholme.. phew... funny enough, leveling inscription to 600 was nowhere near this hard, and I actually farmed all of my mats for that as well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
You are doing the most effective thing for the 'old world" cloth. The only thing I'd add is that the +5 skill up quest at the DMF once per month can help here or there if you don't mind waiting.

I always recommend doing something with multiple benefits so the grind seems more worth it. For netherweave I recommend grinding ogres in Nagrand. You can get the cloth plus Talbuk mounts.

For frostweave, those same mobs you farm are targets for Argent Tourney daily quests so you can also get access to AT stuff (i.e. mounts, titles, etc.). Also, keep your eye out for inbued FW bolts on the AH. They will be expensive but you can turn them into frostweave bags for skill ups and then sell the bags to recoup your gold if not make a little extra.

Good Luck!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm also leveling tailoring but for my alt. Normally I would farm all of the materials myself but lucked out and most of the cloth was on the ah at a not completely unreasonble amount until I got to frostweave. Keep in mind there is a price threshold at which it's just not worth farming the cloth yourself vs farming something else and buying it.

Anywho, If you feel confident about your aoe game, you might try Heroic Pit of Saron for frostweave. I can clear the inital area (everything in between where the gargoyles spawn and the proto drakes patrol) in one pull, then a second pull from the gargoyles the long way to the first boss (don't kill the bosses or you can't reset) and it usually nets 2-3 stacks of frostweave, this is with no scavenging perk, quite a few greens and of couse the chance of a battered hilt which i've gotten two of already. I can do this in about 5 minutes or less and easily cap out on resets then just log off and do something else.

The extra stuff you loot, especially the greens if you have an enchanter will easily pay for double the amount of frostweave you loot in more cloth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/20/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Adarant
For Frostweave, the best spot to farm is the Fallen Heroes area in Icecrown, not dungeons.

If you go for this method you WILL encounter players from other realms thanks to cross realm zones, same for farming Embersilk down in Deepholm. I have found these 2 famous farm spots over crowded now with people farming and just not viable to me anymore. Even at early hours in the morning there are still quite a few people around.

If you need Frostweave, the two Utgarde dungeons, and the Pits of Saron in Icecrown are amazing for it. On top of that you can find decent BOE items and sell the gear that drops.

Also, the latest scenarios in 5.1 have INSANE amounts of cloth dropping in them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
There are faster ways to pull cloth than dungeons. It's questionable whether they're better.

Most dungeons also give you 80 - 100 gp worth of drops and faction of some sort. They're also private instances, so you don't have to worry about be bothered by others. Most farming spots aren't really sufficient for multiple players at once, so if someone else decides to start farming it cuts into your production (and that's on a PvE server; other issues abound on a PvP server).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
There are faster ways to pull cloth than dungeons. It's questionable whether they're better.Most dungeons also give you 80 - 100 gp worth of drops and faction of some sort. They're also private instances, so you don't have to worry about be bothered by others. Most farming spots aren't really sufficient for multiple players at once, so if someone else decides to start farming it cuts into your production (and that's on a PvE server; other issues abound on a PvP server).

Don't forget instances also for the most part don't have mobs that evade, allowing you to spend much less time looting and fighting. Round em up and aoe them down, much harder to pull efficiently outside instances with leashing issues
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I found Uldaman great for silk also. I always preferred instances, less stress, more fun, and more under my control :). The tips here are great -- reset 5x in an hour in the Utgaardes and Pit of Saron and don't have to compete with others for quest mobs.

Anyone know best instance for embersilk?
Edited by Zulayka on 12/24/2012 2:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/24/2012 02:26 AMPosted by Zulayka
Anyone know best instance for embersilk?

For speed I would say probably Stonecore. You can farm everything up to ozruk pretty quickly and walk around all the bosses if you want. Then when you are locked out you can farm the troggs in deepholm.

BRC is probably decent as well but the trash seems more annoying, plus harder to avoid the bosses.

Grim Batol is actually not that bad if you do the bombing well. You can make multiple passes if you are quick and bomb them to pretty low health, just make sure to not kill them. Then you can come along and clean them up with 1-2 hits. For Speed and efficiency I'd probably stop with the troggs afte the first boss as the second boss and his trash are pretty annoying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]