Random Thought of the Day.

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Don't know why that comment reminded me to post this here, but here's a confession I have.

I have always wanted a pet sloth. They sleep 22 hours a day, defecate once a week, and you can just sling them around your neck/back and they'll just chill there. I have been looking into this for about 2 years now, and figured it will cost me around $6500 to get the pet, and about $300-500 a year afterwards.

I would totally make a hammock for it next to my desk.

Get a kitty. 8)
100 Night Elf Druid
Speaking of weird pets, our family has never owned any 'normal' animals. My mom was a vet tech when I was in my younger years, and she constantly brought home various animals who were usually in bad shape that needed nursing back.

Over the years I can remember: a 3 ft savannah monitor, an owl, countless squirrels, a baby ground-hog, 2 pot bellied pigs (that used a litterbox), gecko, various wild birds, a hairless cat with 1 eye and 3 toes on one paw, and many dogs in various conditions (including a dachshund that weighed 42 lbs and looked like a watermelon about to explode), chicken-truck-chickens, ducks (some wore diapers), newborn bulldog pups with cleft palates that the breeder wanted to euthanize (because they didn't want to bottle feed them), quail, possums, bearded dragon, rats, mice, guinea pigs, turtles, frogs...

Yeah and I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head. Basically the concept was if it was injured, (but not in pain to need euthanization) she would help it, then find it a home or release the wild ones back to their proper homes.
90 Troll Death Knight
12/28/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Hakunamätata
3 ft savannah monitor

Why wouldn't you keep that? I would totally love to just be walking on the street with a huge !@#$ing lizard next to me. "Don't mind me, just walking my reptile"

Now that I think about it. I would totally get a Komodo Dragon (implying they aren't to endangered) also if they were tameable. Sure I would be known as "That weird guy who plays WoW all day and has a pet sloth and komodo dragon," but it would be a great conversation starter in the park.
90 Night Elf Druid
12/27/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Bromni
Probably. The problem is that I forget that other seniors are nothing like I was when I was a senior. I was very quiet and calm and just sat and did my work and slept on occasion.

Yeah, there are a few kids like that. The problem is when a class has 38 kids and 1 teacher. I will let you imagine the chaos.
90 Undead Warlock
Random thought of the day? Can it be anything?

I !@#$en wish customers that came into the dealership read the %^-*en fine print on leasing a car.

"But the ad said the Jetta was $189 per month"

THATS WITHOUT TAX, TITLE, AND REGISTRATION BIACCCCHHHHHHH. AS WELL AS $1995 DOWN.

RAGEEEEEE MODEEEEEEE.

Can we change this to random vent of the day?

/sorry
/ilovechogall
100 Night Elf Hunter
Today,

I put my cereal in my fridge and the milk on top of my fridge. Didn't realize I did this until I was about to start eating breakfast.

-.-

Edit:

12/26/2012 04:39 AMPosted by Samarrah
Edit: The thread entitled "1" is gone too. It was pointless, but...why delete it? THIS thread is pointless too. /scratches head

This thread is NOT pointless! It is totally Random!
Edited by Orren on 12/28/2012 12:21 PM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
I was out of milk this morning so I had to put chocolate milk in my coffee.
90 Blood Elf Hunter

That's very true. The point is to be random :)

I !@#$en wish customers that came into the dealership read the %^-*en fine print on leasing a car.

THATS WITHOUT TAX, TITLE, AND REGISTRATION BIACCCCHHHHHHH. AS WELL AS $1995 DOWN.

RAGEEEEEE MODEEEEEEE.

/sorry
/ilovechogall

LOL. So my dad worked at car dealerships for a while. He couldn't stand it. How do you stay sane?! He always had stories about not getting paid properly for sales he made bc of little reasons his manager gave, things he called "spoons" where the receptionist would only give leads or whatever to the same handful of people instead of everybody, and having to split sales made right down the middle even though he felt he did 90% of the work by getting the customer to say yes to a car. They'd come in on his day off or before his shift started and fill out paperwork with someone else. Is that all normal for dealerships now? This was back in the 90s...
Edited by Samarrah on 12/28/2012 1:06 PM PST
100 Night Elf Druid
12/28/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Vain
3 ft savannah monitor

Why wouldn't you keep that? I would totally love to just be walking on the street with a huge !@#$ing lizard next to me. "Don't mind me, just walking my reptile"

Now that I think about it. I would totally get a Komodo Dragon (implying they aren't to endangered) also if they were tameable. Sure I would be known as "That weird guy who plays WoW all day and has a pet sloth and komodo dragon," but it would be a great conversation starter in the park.

We actually did end up keeping him. This man found "Cedar" in his garage. Apparently, the owner had just turned him loose (along with a 9ft Boa Constrictor that was brought into the clinic about a week later -full of a duck from the local duck pond (they took a real cool x-ray of the bulge in his midscection)-. Instead of contacting animal control to get the monitor, he end up beating him with a broom stick (hence the name my mom gave him O' Cedar, and then decides to bring him to the vet where she worked to see what kind of reptile it was.

After taking Cedar in, the vet finds that his ulna and radius is broken on one leg, and he has a head tilt, presumably from brain swelling. After he leaves, the vet gets a call from a local pet store. Apparently the jerk had come in and tells them the story and wanted to know how much they'd pay him for it.

He calls the vet back to see if he can pick up his lizard; says that he wants to show it to his grandchildren. The vet tells him that if he takes the monitor she can assure him that he will be showing them a corpse, as the monitor was in need of intensive care. He says, "that's OK, I'll be over to get it". The vet says there's a matter of the bill and proceeds to make sure the bill is padded enough that no one in their right mind would want him. "It's $530 so far."

Dude never called back, so my mom brought him home to help nurse him back to health and paid for his x-rays, a bag of lactated ringers, antibiotics, and anesthesia from where they placed a cast on him. Being an employee, she didn't have to pay for vet services (labor) and only half price for supplies...to the grand tune of about $25.

She had fallen in love with him and his gentle disposition and we ended up keeping him. He was an awesome pet, and lived many years happily creeping about the house loose. The cat and weiner dog wouldn't get within 10 feet of him. He ate thawed frozen mice so that he wouldn't get into the habit of tracking moving objects (like your fingers) thinking that they were food, he'd poop once a week (soaking in his tub of warm water), and had a cozy spot to sun himself under lights and get warm if he wanted. He was quite the conversation starter.
90 Undead Warlock

That's very true. The point is to be random :)

RAGEEEEEE MODEEEEEEE.

/sorry
/ilovechogall

LOL. So my dad worked at car dealerships for a while. He couldn't stand it. How do you stay sane?! He always had stories about not getting paid properly for sales he made bc of little reasons his manager gave, things he called "spoons" where the receptionist would only give leads or whatever to the same handful of people instead of everybody, and having to split sales made right down the middle even though he felt he did 90% of the work by getting the customer to say yes to a car. They'd come in on his day off or before his shift started and fill out paperwork with someone else. Is that all normal for dealerships now? This was back in the 90s...

You got it spot on. It's very much the same way still. I've had multiple customers come in on my day off. EVEN when I tell them that that day is my day off. Some even go to the extent of saying they won't come in on my day off. Come in the next day, look at my computer, see the date they came in on and BAM on my day off. Look at my deal count and see a split was implemented. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

It's very stressful. I don't even know if I am actually SANE or not. LOL.

edit: the only reason I am in this business is because it does pay good. you know, when things go your way. like earlier today, I made $1100 from a Passat lease.
Edited by Slizzle on 12/28/2012 2:13 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Dang. Yeah hearing my dad share those things, plus having my own customer service experiences has really changed the way I interact with people in customer service/sales whether in person or on the phone.

Fast food/ Restaurants: Be polite. These people handle your food, for crying out loud. If they get your order wrong, relax and calmly ask for the right thing. No one gets it right 100% of the time.

Sales: Please use the sales rep who approached you first or was the most helpful in persuading you to buy whatever you bought. Let them be the one to get any bonus or kudos from your transaction. It will make their day.

Customer service numbers/ call centers: No one likes to pick up a phone and be yelled at. Be polite but firm. If you don't like their answer (and yes, they should answer you nicely), try reasoning with them calmly or just politely ask for a manager.

Anything else that I didn't cover has a simple plan of attack. Just don't be a douchebag to anyone if you can help it. lol.
Edited by Samarrah on 12/28/2012 2:34 PM PST
90 Troll Death Knight
I always thought customer service would be an interesting job if you knew it was your last day at work.

"Let me speak to your manager!!"
"No" "I am the manager" or a couple of other things forum inappropriate.
90 Troll Death Knight
12/28/2012 10:12 PMPosted by Girlrage
Ha ha yeah :) Unfortunately my last day was rather unexpectedly my last day but if I had known it was going to be my last day....it would've been on like donkey kong!

"I want 3 soft tacos and a medium coke"
"We all want things"
100 Draenei Paladin
i never had much trouble in the customer service industry, oddly.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Ha ha yeah :) Unfortunately my last day was rather unexpectedly my last day but if I had known it was going to be my last day....it would've been on like donkey kong!

"I want 3 soft tacos and a medium coke"
"We all want things"

LOL Vain.

Yeah, I love a good quitting story. I worked at this terrible bank and used to fantasize about what it would be like to tell everybody off and make a big scene and stuff. Truth is, I was never any good at that job, but once they saw I didn't catch on instead of pulling me aside for constructive criticism I was talked down to constantly and made to feel even more useless.
Bank tellers stand when they assist people but they also get stools to use behind their stations during their downtime. I was the only one who didn't have one. My feet would be throbbing at the end of the day. When I asked for one, they just said there weren't any more. That was it. My manager was clumsy and unprofessional and had an uncontrollable nervous laugh. You'd think awkwardness would have made her more sympathetic to my plight. WRONG. When she told me she wanted me gone because I wasn't learning fast enough (they were short-staffed even after I got there and instead of hiring two or three more people they wanted one superhero who would bust her/his butt like a crazy person. They should never have hired a newbie to bank telling. They should have gotten someone experienced.) this uncontrollable laughter came out from her. I was in tears and this woman was laughing as she was telling me I sucked at my job. She couldn't turn it off for one second. I knew she wasn't laughing AT me, but it made me angry anyway. This woman who'd been manager for years there and should be used to pressure situations couldn't keep a straight face for one second to tell me I was being sacked, all the while scolding me for not handling the pressure of a new job as gracefully as she wanted. I was mortified when I walked out of there. They were all talking before I went to speak with my manager. I knew that they all knew. It was the walk of shame for me.
A few customers were rude to me here and there because they were used to the other faster tellers and would mutter under their breath. It was the ugliest place I have ever worked at. And you know what's even more messed up? I STILL bank with that company!!! Every time I deposit something I think “what the hell is wrong with me?”

I guess my point with that is, in customer service gigs, you are under pressure—especially when handling food or money. And even employees can be jerks because of that pressure to cater to the customer. I've had wonderful experiences as well where it was a joy to come to work just to be around such great people working right alongside me. And some customers can be just absolute dolls! Most customers are kind and patient.

But yeah..that whole entire bank was full of soul-suckers. My skin is thicker than it used to be but I'm not as resilient as I'd like. I usually daydream about what I should have said or done days after the moment has passed.
Edited by Samarrah on 12/29/2012 1:30 AM PST
90 Troll Death Knight
All these conversations about remembering conversations made me remember a story.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Taco Bell with 2 friends (I don't eat fast food, but they do) and we struck up a conversation with the cashier. The guy was in his late 30's/early 40's, and since it was pretty late at night, no one came up behind us. So as he was taking orders, he asked what school's we were going to (the 3 of us were mixed 17/18) and when he looked at me, I proceeded to tell him I dropped out of high school to get my GED. And as I said that, he noticed the tattoo I have on my arm. So in short, he basically asked what happened in my life to make so many poor decisions. I then told him "No idea, but I can assure you it wasn't bad enough as getting the same job my 16 year old cousin has."

It made his coworkers in the back snicker, and he just proceeded to give me a cold stare as I said I didn't want to order anything.

Makes me wonder how someone can let themselves work a job like that so late into their life and have such an attitude.
Edited by Vain on 12/29/2012 1:45 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Hunter
12/29/2012 01:37 AMPosted by Vain
Makes me wonder how someone can let themselves work a job like that so late into their life and have such an attitude.

He prob dropped out of high school, got his GED, and blew all his money on tattoos he now regrets ;)

Some people don't aim very high. Other times life just throws you a curve. Maybe it's supplemental income and he has another job. If I got laid off and couldn't find work and Taco Bell was hiring, and I needed money badly, I'd do it. I hope it never comes to that, but there ya go :)
Edited by Samarrah on 12/29/2012 3:38 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]