5.1/5.2 Top Melee DPS

90 Human Warrior
What would be the top PVE melee dps class in pach 5.1-5.2 among
1. Fury warr.
2. Ret. Pally
3. Frost DK/ Unholy DK?
I am considering to concentrate on an alt other than this guy, so I was having a hard time thinking on what class should I focus on. I just wonder on if the players have the same gears, and at the same level, and the same prowess in playing, which class's performance would be better than the other in rummaging through PVE content?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I see Fury getting a small nerf before 5.2 is released, possibly met with a buff to Arms sustained, hopefully through a new mastery that boosts passive damage.

I see Assassination being up there over Ret, Windwalker is a wild card at the moment. Not really sure how the new ability and how the new mastery will impact DPS overall. Speculation is one thing but we won't really know until the PTR actually releases.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Out of the 3 plate classes. Fury Warriors are constantly being nerfed so the others can be in line with them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Next patch monks will be top melee dps.

The buffs they've received are flat out stupid, I for one look forward to the hilarity on my monk alt if the buffs go live as is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You've got several avenues to investigate this question.

1.) Simulationcraft reports: (Fury>Frost>Ret)
http://www.simulationcraft.org/

2.) Current Performance found at Raidbot: (Fury>Frost>Ret)
http://www.raidbots.com/

3.) Analyze the patch notes for 5.2. Who's getting buffed, nerfed, staying the same.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3059-Official-Patch-5-2-PTR-Notes-Tier-15-Armor-Sets-Season-13-Armor-Sets

(DK: Various buffs. Looks to be centered on Unholy.)
(Warrior: Doesn't appear to be any dps nerfs, some pvp nerfs so far.)
(Paladin: staying the same.)
Edited by Yarko on 12/27/2012 6:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
@OP - Of the three, my money is on DK.

Next patch monks will be top melee dps.

The buffs they've received are flat out stupid, I for one look forward to the hilarity on my monk alt if the buffs go live as is.

Most of the monk buffs hinted at for PTR -- and they haven't even survived to be on PTR yet -- are aimed at PVP. The main change to DPS that I see is mastery and TEB. That was needed because people are energy capping now on heroism. Next tier monks would have been bottom barrel without mastery based scaling. It's more a fix than a buff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Most of the monk buffs hinted at for PTR -- and they haven't even survived to be on PTR yet -- are aimed at PVP. The main change to DPS that I see is mastery and TEB. That was needed because people are energy capping now on heroism. Next tier monks would have been bottom barrel without mastery based scaling. It's more a fix than a buff.

Yeah I understand fully why blizzard has fixed stat scaling for monks but it also just seems slightly excessive to the extent in which they've done it. I highly doubt it will go live with the current projected numbers and would have to be tweaked in order for them not to scale too ridiculously out of control.

It's also extremely excessive for buffs pvp wise since monks do some real nasty damage atm with tiger's eye brew stacks (takes a while to set-up thought currently, which makes them worse off in pvp).

So the tiger's eye brew stacks created at a much faster rate (2 chi used instead of 4 chi), the flat buff to TEB and the mastery contribution to TEB, we're looking at another scenario of early cataclysm in which fury warriors where instagibbing players with minimal set-up whenever they pleased and their mastery being nerfed to high heaven.. History is bound to repeat itself for wind walkers if they go ahead with over tuning instead of tuning at just the right level.

*Note* I've got nothing against monks and I believe they are most definitely in need of a few buffs fixing stat scaling, but yeah looking forward to the hilarity on my alt :D.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I don't want to be nerfed anymore...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
My brothers and sisters, friends old and new, let us no longer bicker about one another, and instead join forces to address a common enemy - nerf the ranged dps!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
So you are basing your alt off what of will be the highest melee DPS for 1 patch?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
^Probably? Not really sure which alt I should played on, between a ret pally or dk, and I think at least the dps ranking between the three of the classes can make me have a more solid decision on which char. to play.
Edited by Gengkiskan on 12/28/2012 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Those classes dps are so close to each other at the moment you are better off playing the one you like. Blizzard has done an excellent job with balancing melee dps(damage wise) but ranged dps is all other the place. If im not mistaken GC said frost dk and ret pallies are right where they want him so even if a melee thats outperforming them gets nerfed, it shouldnt be worse than them and anything doing worse will either get buffed moderately or overbuffed lol. I cant tell how well arms warrior is doing because they are not represented enough to have reliable data on but based off simcrafts they are doing decently as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Raidbot parses with best DPS specs of each class overall for all content this tier (you can also toggle each fight individually):

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/100/14/60/default/#0010011001101001101010100000000000

too long; didn't click link version:

Fury > Frost > Ret

edit: based on Simcraft Arms is doing well? Horribly inaccurate. Arms is currently the worst PvE DPS spec in the game going by both raidbot and simcraft. Frost and Fury are relatively close but Ret is 6-8k+ behind both.
Edited by Deculture on 12/29/2012 4:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/27/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Gangnamstyle
My brothers and sisters, friends old and new, let us no longer bicker about one another, and instead join forces to address a common enemy - nerf the ranged dps!

I like your monkly style. Just figured I'd throw that out there.

Except the whole hating part. That wasn't very monkly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Raidbot parses with best DPS specs of each class overall for all content this tier (you can also toggle each fight individually):

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/100/14/60/default/#0010011001101001101010100000000000

too long; didn't click link version:

Fury > Frost > Ret

edit: based on Simcraft Arms is doing well? Horribly inaccurate. Arms is currently the worst PvE DPS spec in the game going by both raidbot and simcraft. Frost and Fury are relatively close but Ret is 6-8k+ behind both.

lol put words in my mouth. LEARN TO READ. i said they are doing DECENTLY in simcrafts and i said " I cant tell how well arms warrior is doing because they are not represented enough to have reliable data on". Let me break this down to you, go here: http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25H/all/14/60/default/ you notice how next the arms theres a yellow ! Mark? that means not enough of them to compile accurate data. So far according to WoL Arms is doing about as well as ferals
Edited by Turmoyl on 12/29/2012 2:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
94 Draenei Death Knight
12/28/2012 03:27 AMPosted by Gengkiskan
^Probably? Not really sure which alt I should played on, between a ret pally or dk, and I think at least the dps ranking between the three of the classes can make me have a more solid decision on which char. to play.

If you don't plan on PvPing I would take the DK over the ret, I hate masterfrost with a burning passion, but its obviously amazing on cleave fights. The UH buffs are nice, but if the tier bonuses are anything like T14 frost will still be the way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Enhance?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So, what, no Moonkin love again?

Sounds really effing swell...
Reply Quote
91 Goblin Warlock

Thread about melee DPS... and this isn't BC anymore, so Moonkin aren't meleeing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Thread about melee DPS... and this isn't BC anymore, so Moonkin aren't meleeing.
HA! So it is. It's late :/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]