Customer support standard; Dissapointed

(Locked)

90 Dwarf Paladin
I have a had a recent dissapointing encounter with the support services at blizzard, and am actually quite suprised by the fall in standard over a few short years. I have been a big fan of blizzard since the release of orcs and humans and over the years have often quite proudly told friends and family of the superb customer service available.

Now i have finally managed to convice my partner to start plaing (After 6 long years) and things had been going really well until several nights ago, where, after a router reset due to lag her account was locked for suspicious activity. Over the following hour i tried to reset her password as required and ran into multiple error messages during the process. Due to these errors the account has now been locked due to to many unsuccsessful atempts, and we now have to contact customer service. After much searching i came accross the New Zealand number for customer service and was very pleased to see they are open to 11pm NZST, however when i rang at 9pm the support service was closed, as it was yet again at 5pm the following day.

So unable to contact blizzard, and with her account locked i lodged a ticket from my own account. I went into detail regarding the exact steps i took and the error messages recieved and submitted the ticket. My first response from a GM consisted of them telling me i needed to follow the link in our emails to reset the password, despite me explaining in detail within the first paragraph that i had already tried that and we had encountered error messages. I expalined that i had already tried that and that we require further assistance. The next reply (From a different GM) stated the exact same thing as the first, but also added a second step, which once again i had fully explained; this time in my second paragraph.

I replied once again, explaining that i understood they were busy and asked that they took the time to read the actual ticket as i had already followed all of the steps set out in support articles. The third GM to reply started by telling me that with the coming release of Diablo 3 and Mists of Pandaria that they were experiencing high demands in customer service. Now whilst i am pretty sure i havnt invented time travel, this GM stated exactly the same thing as the first two.

All of my interactions have been automated emails in response to the title of the ticket. One of the GM's even had the response set up wrong as it started Hi %N%. In previous encounters with customer support everything had ran so smoothly and issues were quickly resolved through interaction with a GM. Now i get the same information from the support articles sent repeatedly to me in an automated fashion. I still fail to understand how the standard could fall so quickly, and i really hope that it is just a case of the weekend staff having a few sore heads after a christmas party.

What does everyone else think of the current state of blizzard support, do you think i have jsut hit a run of bad luck or are things truly declining?

P.S Any helpful suggestions regarding the problem with my parters account will also be greatly appreciated.
Other companies have a terrible terrible terrible Customer Support Area (Hi Ubisoft). Blizzard so far hasn't disappointed me
90 Gnome Warlock
Nah, sometimes something happens that gets jumbled up. I've had nothing but glowing customer service from them on both the account side and getting stuff fixed. Just keep at it friend, but remember it is a bit more difficult to deal with compromised accounts when someone from a separate one is talking about it.

I had my account hacked by a gold seller, and called Blizzard's support and they had me up and going rather quickly, there was also multiple calls about authenticators and such that I had to get swapped over when something happened to my current one (Mobile authenticators on a phone can be a pain in the !@#$, I just need to remember to write down the serial numbers and such... I keep forgetting).

Overall just try to remember, they sometimes have to give canned responses and at times the wrong one can fly down the pipeline. Just have patience with them, especially since the volume of tickets, support phone calls, and such are probably through the roof with numerous complaints with varying degrees of importance. For ever "My account was hacked/wrongfully hacked/ect" there is two dozen "CRZ IS BAD! AND YOU'RE BAD BLIZZ!" out there in the ques.
100 Human Mage
Greetings Kenneth!

We understand you're having problems with logging into a World of Warcraft account.

lol sry, had to. See:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7199914613?page=1

if you're confused (not a solution to your problem, just to get in on the joke...).

That's very very strange, your issue. In the past blizz has been so helpful that I've known 2 people hacked because people just called in pretending to be them and got all their info changed to the hackers info. The hackers even did their best to act like one of the individuals to the point we had no clue.

I understand your problem though, if not from blizzard exactly. I wonder if it isn't a trend in businesses right now... My father has had zero success getting in contact with *any* real person from microsoft for a very easy to fix problem he has right now. No way, nothing actually has an option to speak with a real person, anywhere.
Edited by Sinderion on 12/15/2012 1:51 PM PST
90 Dwarf Rogue
tl:dr But...

Customer support responses are all based on scripts (or if they aren't, should be). You must be either being unreasonable or falling through the cracks.

Also it's the holiday season.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is always a pre-set list of things that CS goes through to "try" to answer questions/resolve problems. and with a subscriber base the size of world of warcraft's, automated e-mails, while not usually popular, are the most efficient way to "try" to help, without hiring more staff.

The few interactions with CS i had were mainly positive, but everyone's mileage will vary of course.
90 Night Elf Rogue
What does everyone else think of the current state of blizzard support, do you think i have jsut hit a run of bad luck or are things truly declining?

P.S Any helpful suggestions regarding the problem with my parters account will also be greatly appreciated.

It hasn't really been a quick fall. It seems like it's been a steady plummet for a couple years now.

That said, my own interactions with CS have mostly been good. GMs have almost always been helpful to me in game. Not sure if I just have problems at lucky times when they're not being swamped, or if I just get the luck of having really awesome GMs open my tickets.

I once opened a ticket a couple months ago, simply out of frustration, complaining about PvP, and got a detailed response from a GM that --while not addressing any real issues-- was a clear communication from someone else who enjoyed PvP and understood my frustrations. Another time I opened a ticket regarding lots of items taken out of my gbank, not expecting much help since I know how those go. The response I got was cut and paste about not being able to give game hints, and I sort of shrugged. But a few weeks later the items were returned nonetheless.

Any other time they've been greatly helpful in a very speedy fashion, but I've heard stories much like yours from other people, so I know my good experiences may not be the norm for some.

If I were you, just keep logging tickets, and have your S.O. do the same. Eventually you'll nab someone who is paying attention. Be sure to include key terms like "repeated" or "continuing problems" so they know this isn't the first time you've guys have tried to get help with this error.
45 Pandaren Monk
tl:dr But...

Customer support responses are all based on scripts (or if they aren't, should be). You must be either being unreasonable or falling through the cracks.

Also it's the holiday season.

I disagree with this. Aside from the standard "Thank you for calling X", the please & thank yous, and the "thank you for calling X, have a nice day" the rest of it should be open for the agent. Obviously the agent shouldn't be disrespectful. Saying there should be a script takes away from the agent's ability to build rapport with the customer.

I've been in Call Center customer service for over 10 years. A script is ALWAYS a bad idea, unless its a positioning on a specific issue, but even then it can be worded to sound more human.
90 Dwarf Rogue
If your request is reasonable but keeps falling through the cracks, keep trying. The other alternatives are going the email route or actually calling them up on the voice line. I get the feeling that the online CS people are under more stress because they are bombarded by multiple requests simultaneously and have to perform in real time. But nothing like interaction in real time to 'make your day' if the CS person is really skillful and can solve your problem right there and then.
90 Night Elf Druid
Remember when they fired over 600 employees? I'm guessing a big chunk of those 600 were customer service reps.
90 Dwarf Rogue
12/15/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Ginx
Remember when they fired over 600 employees? I'm guessing a big chunk of those 600 were customer service reps.

The nature of the beast has probably changed a lot. They beefed up their CS system. More technology, less labor needed, right? Also, the number of players aren't growing in the U.S as fast. If anything, the CS should be shifting to Asia.

Also I remember when i was reading the forums on worldofwarcraft.com, a lot of the problems had to do with account theft. Too bad Blizzard doesn't release stats on that. The authenticator was a big step for a video game company considering that even most banks in the U.S. don't make authenticators available to their customers even today. And Blizzard did it in 2008.
90 Orc Shaman

The vast majority of them were in Europe and Asia, and the ones that weren't generally WEREN'T customer service reps.
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
First and foremost... Blizzard cannot help you with an account that's not yours. That's just how it works. So you putting in tickets is not going to accomplish anything at all - and expecting to get help that way is doomed to frustration and failure.

Your partner - and not you - needs to be the one to contact Blizzard. Make sure that they are using the correct phone numbers; if the account is locked, a phone call will basically be required.

Please note that you should never be trying to access anyone else's account at any time - even to the point of trying to reset the password. Doing so runs the risk of having the account permanently closed.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." -- Groucho Marx
Support Forum Agent
Dynamais - I must agree with Pahanda and state that Blizzard can only assist the registered account holder with their account and not anyone else. We appreciate that sometimes newer players may not know best how to navigate some of our support systems, but ultimately we can't help anyone with an account that's not theirs.

That being said, there are self-help solutions on the Can't Log In? page for accounts that were locked for this reason. You can submit a ticket here without being able to log in.

Ultimately, it's not a matter of hours or personnel, but making sure you're contacting us correctly in order to get the assistance you need. In general, you are more than welcome to reopen tickets that were not resolved to your satisfaction (as you seem to have done), but remember to be clear and concise in describing the nature of your issue and your request. There's a long queue, and the easier it is to understand your issue, the better. Also, each response from a GM comes with the opportunity to rate the service you received via survey through Battle.net. While I appreciate your frustration, posting here doesn't really gain you much in the way of feedback for individual GMs.

I'm personally always excited to hear when someone brings their partner into the fold. I like nothing more than raiding with loved ones, and it's really a lot of fun. I do hope that we can manage to get you guys sorted sooner rather than later. It's helpful to note that our SMS Protect feature can also help resolve these locks rather quickly if you're eligible.

Edited by Hermf on 12/15/2012 3:25 PM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
12/15/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Hermf
Ultimately, it's not a matter of hours or personnel, but making sure you're contacting us correctly in order to get the assistance you need.

So why couldn't the three GMs he contacted tell him this?
90 Dwarf Rogue
Ultimately, it's not a matter of hours or personnel, but making sure you're contacting us correctly in order to get the assistance you need.

If it was that obvious, they probably did. The conversation in this thread morphed into a discussion about CS in general.
Edited by Notagin on 12/15/2012 3:41 PM PST
96 Night Elf Druid

Ultimately, it's not a matter of hours or personnel, but making sure you're contacting us correctly in order to get the assistance you need. In general, you are more than welcome to reopen tickets that were not resolved to your satisfaction (as you seem to have done), but remember to be clear and concise in describing the nature of your issue and your request. There's a long queue, and the easier it is to understand your issue, the better.

And when the customer is clear and concise multiple times and the Blizzard employee responding to him asks him to perform steps that he has already performed, and asks the customer to repeat things that were in the original request, what then?

The other half of "clear and concise" is that the person representing Blizzard needs to actually read the request and not ask the same questions, recommend the same steps, or flat out ignore what he or she is being told by the customer. That smacks of people who either a) are not wanting to actually help with the issue, or b) are unqualified or prevented from providing customer support for a product.
Edited by Losira on 12/15/2012 4:31 PM PST
86 Goblin Warlock

Most of those were in another region and does not effect the NA Service.

They also didn't release a single Game Master.

12/15/2012 04:24 PMPosted by Losira
The other half of "clear and concise" is that the person representing Blizzard needs to actually read the request and not ask the same questions, recommend the same steps, or flat out ignore what he or she is being told by the customer. That smacks of people who either a) are not wanting to actually help with the issue, or b) are unqualified or prevented from providing customer support for a product.

Come on the policy of not talking about other people's account is well known.
100 Troll Death Knight
12/15/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Notagin

If it was that obvious, they probably did. The conversation in this thread morphed into a discussion about CS in general.
Support Forum Agent
We're not here to dissect the conversations he's had with any GMs. I'm here to help provide the best information I can to get him and his partner squared away and adventuring. That information was provided, and if further assistance is needed in the matter or an additional issue pops up, please feel free to open a new thread outlining the issue clearly and concisely. I will try to be of assistance. The CS Facebook page is also a good place to receive similar assistance.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]