@Blizz: Make the Holy Dps Spec -- easy way

17 Blood Elf Warlock
Just give Holy a dual mastery that separates chastise from the others. While in the state, 'blah blah blah' of a dmg increase whether it'd be a straight dmg boost or even in the way of making chastise more potent...options are fun. Also, just give chastise a flat dmg bump either at its base or when the 10% proc happens.

There, a single target spec for the many (yes, many) priests that have been asking for a holy dps spec, and it isn't even hard to make happen -- scary, i know. No new glyphs, no major overhauls, nothing complicated: just split the mastery in the holy tree and raise the dmg of chastise so it is usable in a rotation. Anything else can be tweaked as needed.

Let's be honest: The only aspect really holding the spec back is in the mastery. If chastise was worth some type of real dmg, the using it on proc would make up for some of the lack of procs that are seen in shadow. No priest is asking for the spec to be #1 over Shadow (at least i hope not), but it would be nice for a option like every other class (barring pallies -- and now monks, yes i know) has to dps.

This really isn't too much to ask for to be honest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
that would be pretty fun. a ranged holy dps
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
I believe it would be as well. The fact that they already laid the ground work with chakra: chastise pretty much takes the 'hard point' out of making the spec viable.

Just add a 2nd part to the mastery for just chakra: chastise state and make chastise actually work casting....probably would be mid pack, but I honestly would rather be smiting than playing whack-a-mole with shadow atm.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only drawback is that you don't get Mastery until later levels, so early Holy would remain at a disadvantage until then. However, my knowledge of Priests is limited, so perhaps this is not terribly much of an issue until you actually reach those higher levels and start doing quests and dailies.

As a side-tangent, when I first saw this thread name I thought you were referring to paladins. You weren't, alas, but still a worthwhile read. However, thinking about it, the same easy answer could be used to make Holy paladins decent damage dealers. Give our spec a new Seal. Have the Seal do the exact same thing as the glyph of Holy Shock, but for all of our spells... Increases our Holy damage by 50%, but reduces all of our healing by 50%. Seal swapping costs a GCD and 10k mana each way, so you won't find raiders doing this with any frequency. Might be too strong at lower levels, though. It's been ages since I had to denounce a level 20 or 30 mob.
Edited by Wards on 12/17/2012 7:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The only drawback is that you don't get Mastery until later levels, so early Holy would remain at a disadvantage until then. However, my knowledge of Priests is limited, so perhaps this is not terribly much of an issue until you actually reach those higher levels and start doing quests and dailies.

As a side-tangent, when I first saw this thread name I thought you were referring to paladins. You weren't, alas, but still a worthwhile read. However, thinking about it, the same easy answer could be used to make Holy paladins decent damage dealers. Give our spec a new Seal. Have the Seal do the exact same thing as the glyph of Holy Shock, but for all of our spells... Increases our Holy damage by 50%, but reduces all of our healing by 50%. Seal swapping costs a GCD and 10k mana each way, so you won't find raiders doing this with any frequency. Might be too strong at lower levels, though. It's been ages since I had to denounce a level 20 or 30 mob.

actually Holy priest can do more than Spriest single target without mastery thanks to chastise and lower lvls disc and holy does more and Spriest is pretty bad.
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
Yep, at 56, my lil priest with chastise going is pulling 1.3k dps, which is just stupid.

This is why I say that if they would make Chastise a worthy spell to use ala Mind Spike's dmg buff proc, we could see Holy being an upper mid pack spec. Possibly, if we saw some glyph that let us refresh the Holy Fire debuff, even more as we wouldn't have to cast it as much and allow the smite spam to happen more frequently.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
no thanks, if you did that the forums would explode with shockadin requests
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
12/17/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Iliriel

Then let them make their own threads. This one is for priests. Ty for your contribution though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

don't be jealous
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh yes, I understand now. The many people who would like to be a plate-wearing holy dps caster should !@#$ because it would annoy you. Get lost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Haven't messed with my priest this expansion, but chakra is still switch-able mid combat, yes? If so, wouldn't that mean a priest DPSing could just switch chakra and be a completely proficient healer?
Edited by Monica on 12/18/2012 5:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
12/18/2012 05:52 AMPosted by Monica
Haven't messed with my priest this expansion, but chakra is still switch-able mid combat, yes? If so, wouldn't that mean a priest DPSing could just switch chakra and be a completely proficient healer?

yes, it's still switchable on a 30 sec cd. The easy fix to that is just raise the CD on moving to and from Chastise to 3 mins or so. This would cause the priest to have to dump their dps to be a healer, which would be a fair trade off. Another fix could be to just restrict switching in combat to or from Chastise all together so they could not gain the benefits of the other chakras or the mastery. Good catch there.

They would still be gaining the built in healing proc, though, so they would be able to toss out some pretty big heals. They just couldn't do it AS effectively as the other counterparts. The key here is to not do any BIG changes to the spec at all...just minor ones that wouldn't take more than a single patch cycle to implement. We don't want a major overhaul; we just want a colon to '/' to be put in the lines with a small sentence following so the spec would be viable in terms of mid pack level. Remember, no one is asking for a #1 spec here...just something fun to do that doesn't hinder a raid.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
really holy priest doing more damage then shadow? how is that even possible?? lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/18/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Alorgoth
This would cause the priest to have to dump their dps to be a healer, which would be a fair trade off.

The ability to do this mid-combat though would be really OP, though. bosses with burn phases, for instance, would be perfect for this sort of healer. Especially if they still have healing abilities.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to play a holy DPS spec. I've always wanted to. I'm just not sure this would be feasible.
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
12/18/2012 07:18 AMPosted by Obliteratør
really holy priest doing more damage then shadow? how is that even possible?? lol

Before mastery is equated, holy priests will have a 50% boost to all holy/shadow dmg + 20% from eva + 20% to smite with fire's debuff up. It's A LOT of dmg. Shadow doesn't stand a chance sadly in a straight up single target fight nor aoe when sear is brought in until mastery is able to allow for dots to deal more dmg and all procs begin to roll.

12/18/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Monica
This would cause the priest to have to dump their dps to be a healer, which would be a fair trade off.

The ability to do this mid-combat though would be really OP, though. bosses with burn phases, for instance, would be perfect for this sort of healer. Especially if they still have healing abilities.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to play a holy DPS spec. I've always wanted to. I'm just not sure this would be feasible.

I think you missed the second part, which is ok. It said, " ...restrict changing all together from chastise." Just like shadow, holy will still retain their healing; they just cannot change to the other states in order to boost their healing or dip into the healing mastery side either.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
why not give a fourth spec option, similar to how feral druids have a tank spec option and dps spec option? Holy healing spec, and holy dps as different specs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/18/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Alorgoth

Before mastery is equated, holy priests will have a 50% boost to all holy/shadow dmg + 20% from eva + 20% to smite with fire's debuff up. It's A LOT of dmg. Shadow doesn't stand a chance sadly in a straight up single target fight nor aoe when sear is brought in until mastery is able to allow for dots to deal more dmg and all procs begin to roll.

I think you missed the second part, which is ok. It said, " ...restrict changing all together from chastise." Just like shadow, holy will still retain their healing; they just cannot change to the other states in order to boost their healing or dip into the healing mastery side either.

you also forgot to metion that holy gets more spirit than shadow which is more hit which is more spirit they can reforge into crit and haste.
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
12/19/2012 01:37 AMPosted by Turmoyl

you also forgot to metion that holy gets more spirit than shadow which is more hit which is more spirit they can reforge into crit and haste.

For something like this, Holy wouldn't even touch spirit gear unless they wanted to since they already get hit capped by default. They literally could sit there and gear straight crit/haste/mastery all day, especially considering that smite and fire's mana costs are reduced by 90%.

This is what I'm saying about an 'easy fix' for Holy priests: they are already hit capped, they are exteme mana efficient in Chastise, and they already do better single target dmg than shadow could outside of mastery and the myriad of procs. Just a few small additions to pre-existing factors and we'd have a real holy dps sec that still leaves Shadow above Holy, but allows Holy to be mid to upper-mid pack.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

This is not a bad thing...

<3 my Shockadin
Reply Quote
17 Blood Elf Warlock
12/19/2012 06:52 AMPosted by Verdash

This is not a bad thing...

<3 my Shockadin

Although we are keeping this thread solely for priest holy dps, I will say that this could pave the way for holy pallies to make their mark as a ranged holy spec as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]