Solution to increasing pvp activity postively

90 Orc Warrior
I have a idea that would stimulate arena participation, and the leveling of alts insanely.
This game has always had a gear difference, but this season with pvp power, and gear upgrading the difference is far more than any season before, and here is the solution.

Three Step Solution:
1.) Figure average item level of PvPers.
2.) Allow new, or existing 90s to achieve this average item level by allowing unlimited conquest cap to be achieved the same way that is currently in place.
3.) Profit by seeing people be able to stand a chance in pvp, and wanting to gear out there characters rather than sitting around waiting for s13 on alts.

Alternate solution: Allow players to cap the overall accumulated points from their main on a alt, or a portion such as 80% allowing for the ability to level a alt, and catch up in gear. PvP is about competition, and should not be who has the more powerful item 100% of the time

Another great example from comments from Rihard,
"Easier way, which I've seen suggested before, is to make the maximum cumulative weekly points with no rating requirement available to earn.

Example:

Someone doesn't do any arena or RBG's for the first week of the season, but they play on the second week. On that second week, their caps are 3600 (arena) and 4400 (rbg) instead of 1800 and 2200. If they don't play the first two weeks, 5400 and 6600 on the third week, etc.

Basically you have rollover caps. People with higher ratings still have an advantage because they have higher point caps, but it's possible to catch up to a reasonable level."

Create a way of figuring the average item level for pvp players, and from this allow new 90s, or players that have missed a week etc. to have a increased conquest cap to achieve this "average item level for pvp."

Back to my original suggestion
For example it is most likely we'll say 475ish ilvl so allow new 90s to achieve this item level by say a cap such as what ever is relative to attaining this item level. Obviously each week the cap for a new 90 would be higher throughout the season. This would increase people wanting to level alts, and get into pvp. This would also allow people that have had to miss a few weeks to catch back up to the average. It is 100% positive, and would allow for the people who really strive to do rbgs, and other things to keep their advantage, but would also allow more teams to que into them by increasing the overall activity by giving people a chance before next season where they can finally be on par.

The current problem is for example I stream, and people ask me what class should I level to get high ratings. I will answer with a detailed choice, and follow up by saying, but you will have no chance this season really due to the system that is currently in place you just will not be able to catch up on gear to get really high ratings.

Please respond lets get a blue to see this guys thanks!
Edited by Norbok on 12/17/2012 10:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I agree with him.
Reply Quote
It's a great idea, but realistically it wont happen because of the type of game WoW is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
good idea

i agree hopefully they make arenas fun for alts
Edited by Deprivelol on 12/17/2012 6:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Would be awesome if they did this.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Easier way, which I've seen suggested before, is to make the maximum cumulative weekly points with no rating requirement available to earn.

Example:

Someone doesn't do any arena or RBG's for the first week of the season, but they play on the second week. On that second week, their caps are 3600 (arena) and 4400 (rbg) instead of 1800 and 2200. If they don't play the first two weeks, 5400 and 6600 on the third week, etc.

Basically you have rollover caps. People with higher ratings still have an advantage because they have higher point caps, but it's possible to catch up to a reasonable level.
Reply Quote
^
Edited by Pinkums on 12/17/2012 7:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I literally missed the first three weeks of the season and thought, "wow who cares ill catch up a week or two later because i'l have a high cap"

then the gear upgrade came around and I quit for the season. Currently waiting for s13 when I will actually play again
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Allow players to cap the overall accumulated points from their main on a alt, or a portion such as 80% allowing for the ability to level a alt, and catch up in gear. PvP is about competition, and should not be who has the more powerful item 100% of the time

Yea... lets not do this
Reply Quote
19 Human Rogue
Missed a few weeks because of personal issues. Now too far behind to compete. Time to close account until next season.

Oh and why does the first tier of pvp weapons have a point requirement? PVE I guess....
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Priest
All they need to do is make an honor point weapon and increase the item level of all honor gear by like 10 or 15. As it is now, you just can play arena on an alt with honor gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
12/17/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Novâ
It's a great idea, but realistically it wont happen because of the type of game WoW is.

Yep, they've already mentioned that this is an RPG, gear should matter, so should time spent getting that gear.

However, they've also said they could implement a system alike the valor-for-alts that is in right now, where if your main is capped in valor, your other chars get 50% more per quest/raid/etc.
Which would not help the situation at all, but that's how blizz sees it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Very big and basic problem with this is that it doesn't mathematically work. Figure out the average ilvl of arena players, okay sure that's fine. But as soon as you increase a couple thousand low ilvl players to "average" obviously this average would shift. Good idea, you just need another way of figuring out how to distribute malevolent gear to alts.

I propose an alternative. Rather than figuring out an average ilvl, make your pvp gear account wide. That is say I have 4 pieces of conquest gear on my main, I would have the equivalent amount of expendable conquest points to spend on all my other alts. Pretty basic and simple solution to me. And avoids a whole lot of messy maths and game wide analysis of players.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Monk
Knowing what we know about Blizzard this is what will happen:

Tomorrow
Blue post: "This is something we would like to do. We will discuss it."

4 months later
Blue post: "We are looking for solutions to increase alt and late bloomers increased participation in pvp."

8 months later
Blue post: "It's not as easy as people may think to make these changes. Also, blah blah blah"

12 months later
Blue Post: "We have come up with a solution, blah blah blah. Nothing remotely close to what people want"

12 months 1 day later
Blue post: "We take player feedback very seriously"

GG we all paid a year's worth subscription full of false promises.
Edited by Garunnah on 12/17/2012 7:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Good point I thought about that as well gear would tend to average out over time, but again the top geared players will still be the ones who earned higher caps, and will keep there advantage slightly just not as much as is currently active.

People are punished for being too geared by waiting 5min games at the top this shows one of two things the level of competition is to low for these players, or the level of gear of people at the top and middle is too much. By increasing the overall ability of people to catch up and play you are allowing more competition throughout the charts effectively closing the gap between the middle, and the top.

As is in pve a lot of players can get geared quickly after most of the group is geared if you bring in a new person they catch up fast, but not on a few key items. This is how pvp should be later in the season rewarding those who earned at the top, but also allowing those who are too far behind to stand a chance when they play them, by earning the point cap through arena wins.
Edited by Norbok on 12/17/2012 7:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Easier way, which I've seen suggested before, is to make the maximum cumulative weekly points with no rating requirement available to earn.

Example:

Basically you have rollover caps. People with higher ratings still have an advantage because they have higher point caps, but it's possible to catch up to a reasonable level.

This is the best idea. Do this
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Still what I stated originally is just and "idea" I am encouraging more people to state possible solutions, and with that hopefully blizzard finds a response to one possible solution, or even a couple that is what I hope for.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

Example:

pls this plsplspslsplspls
Rollover caps could just apply to characters starting from the week they hit 90, and obviously they'd reset at the beginning of each season. Even if it's too much to ask for a full rollover of point caps, a partial rollover (half of what you missed) would still help quite a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I think the single largest preventative thing in this game against alts is the season earned requirement on weapons. There is no chance for a player to beat a team of equal skill if one has an extra 4,770 pvp power.

If they removed the cap I think that would ease, not solve, the disparity between the 1500-2000 range. Fixing the problem with 2200 equipped players and those who are not is a problem that upgrades made infinitely more complicated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]