How do you deal with bad tanks?

90 Human Priest
I got into a group with a monk who let his energy cap a lot, blackout kicked or used his ox statue... I ended up leaving before the first boss, since I couldn't imagine healing some of the later pulls with group damage, since I had to use nothing but greater heal on him to keep him from dying, and his health was still dropping below 50%...

Is the only thing to do is leave?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
While personally I enjoy the challenge of keeping a bad tank alive (and I had a similar monk once whose Shuffle uptime was only 6% throughout the entire instance, and 0% on boss fights), I have encountered times where I simply couldn't keep a tank alive. And I have a policy of never leaving a group. So here's how I handled it:

I talked to them.
Politely, without being judgy or accusing or saying "I know how to play your class better than you do".
Privately, so they didn't feel called-out in front of the rest of the party.
I just said something like, "I'm having trouble keeping you up, and looking at my logs I've noticed you're spending your Chi on Chi Wave rather than Blackout Kick. It would help me and the rest of the party a lot if you would use your Blackout Kick more, and you'll be able to pull groups faster if I don't have to stop and drink after each fight. :)"

If they are not receptive to my comments, then I say "Okay, well I will do my best to keep you up, but I can't promise anything. I'll stop to drink when I need to, and I'll say something in party chat so you know." If they die from there on out, it's on them, IMO.

If they are abusive, I just put them on ignore so I never group with them again.

If they *are* receptive to my comments, or ask me something like "What does Blackout Kick have to do with me staying alive?", then I politely answer their question and I take that as a victory! :D

Usually they are receptive. Most cases this happens it's an undergeared/new player not familiar with what they're doing. Sometimes it's a geared-to-the-teeth player who feels s/he's too cool for active mitigation, and in those situations I just shrug and heal them. I, too, am geared-to-the-teeth, and I will win this battle of the wills. :D

But so yeah. Try talking to them. If you're worried that the DPS in your group will kick you instead of the tank because they're not aware that the tank is not doing things right, you can say it in /party chat so they know. But I always prefer to do it privately. And I've never been kicked from a group, even if it's a wipefest ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Heal them more. :3 I might say something if I can tell what they are doing wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I like bad tanks, they keep me on my toes
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I throw monk balls at their feet.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The tank would have to be very, very bad or undergeared to be unhealable, like even if he put on Heroic DS gear it probably wouldn't be a wipe in a 5 man.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I usually don't bother talking to them, unless they give me !@#$ for not keeping them alive. That's when I unleash my criticism and insulting. I am however nice to tanks who admit that it's their first time and don't know the encounter yet, because I find it cheaper spending a minute explaining than gold on repairs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i turn on anime music and cry to my self quietly through the whole run. its what i do
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I personally try to keep HoTs on them the entire time. It doesn't fully prevent them dying, but it does make it a bit easier to keep them up.
Reply Quote
If for some reason my OP shields and how over geared I am for the dungeon can't keep them up, then I'll leave group.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Could do what the healer in one of my groups just didvafter a wipe. Tell the monk tank "It was easier to keep the warlock up than you."

The next pull after that wipe, he was much easier to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Heal if I can, bail if I can't.

I usually give it 2 wipes before I seriously consider bailing - more if the tank isn't doing stupid and the group is really trying, probably sooner if he is (Like the one 2 days ago that pulled before we were grouped up, healed up and buffed up after the 2nd wipe of the run, causing the 3rd wipe of the run - or the one the day before that pulled as I was loading into the dungeon - and then must have kept pulling as I tried for 5 minutes to get in. )

But you really don't have many options. Stick it out, leave, or complain. And no one wants to hear you complain - especially the bad tank if he's the reason.

The good news is in my experience 90% of groups range from competently OK to pretty good, with the remainder equally split between Terrific/Stellar and Terrible/Horror show. So it's not something you have to deal with too often.

<S>
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Vote kick.

If that doesn't work, drop group.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
12/30/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Mahourai
The tank would have to be very, very bad or undergeared to be unhealable, like even if he put on Heroic DS gear it probably wouldn't be a wipe in a 5 man.

Ran into a few of those before, one of them was actually more difficult to heal than the rest of the DPS. In one encounter, he ran ahead, leaving a trail of mobs to aggro on the DPS and me so I let him die and heal the DPS.

He was like "wft kind of heal is that!" but the rest of the DPS told him to shut up, and he did. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Just drop group.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Depends, if it is because of lack of experience on the dungeon or general tanking i stay with the group and whisper tips like certain trick pulls in the dungeon or certain skills they should be using.

If the tank is generally a douche who is horrible at tanking but think they are all that i let them aggro something and die then leave.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Depends.

This healer isn't 90 yet, but even so, I had a VERY undergeared druid tank for Moshu'Gan palace. The quillen groups were almost killing him faster than shield + gheal could heal him. The last boss he took incredible damage. I had a total 9k mana left, despite using mindbender on every CD and potting.

I know my gear isn't optimal, but I have reasonable experience and the dps wasn't being stupid and taking avoidable damage.

After having time to inspect him (post run) I discovered at 88-89 he was still in his 378 gear.

I was able to keep him up, barely, but up, and he held aggro - so I healed him.

If it had proved to be un-doable? I'd have pointed out his gear in open instance chat and voted to kick him. I'll heal inexperienced tanks, somewhat undergeared tanks, pretty much anyone who is healable without causing other deaths - but if it's causing issues like other player deaths that wouldn't happen, or running me oom despite CDs and causing wipes, it's vote, and if vote fails, I'll leave after saying why. I expect to take reasonable measures to make sure I can heal - and I expect the same effort from tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I LOVE bad tanks. Heroics are a joke now and I can barely stay awake. A bad tank at least make things a little bit more interesting.

BLIZZARD PLEASE GIVE US BC HEROICS BACK!!!!!

-love, healers
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I yell out "I can't heal stupid!"

Then i drop group. :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Pop cooldowns.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]