Any upcoming MMORPGs look good?

1 Night Elf Priest
I honestly feel MMORPGs are at their best when they're new. Not just because everything is shiny and new, but because all the players are on the same level. People are solving the game together and creating the game's culture from scratch. If you haven't had a chance to try a MMORPG at launch, I highly suggest you take a month off WoW to check out the next big one. It really is an exciting experience.

I'm just wondering if there are any good looking MMORPGs on the horizon. The two big ones Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR have been released and consensus seems to be that they're a bit of a disappointment but I'm really longing for that fresh MMO experience.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Check out Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

While the game was released previously, it was a massive failure. The game has been rebuilt and will be relaunching in early 2013.

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but it's been getting a lot of attention and winning a lot of 'most anticipated MMO' awards.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I haven't seen any consensus on the quality of GW2, if anything opinions are thoroughly divided. SWTOR was a colossal failure but then again, it looked terrible even before it launched.

Anyway...

Elder Scrolls Online - MMO in Elder scrolls universe. Sounds like it could be OK.

Blade and Soul - Martial Arts styled Korean MMO, published by NCSoft so that's going to get it a lot of hate.

Archeage - haven't heard much about it, it's supposed to be a very sandbox-esque korean MMO.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
It's still flying under the radar, but Firefall.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

FPS + MMO? Yes please!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Check out Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

While the game was released previously, it was a massive failure. The game has been rebuilt and will be relaunching in early 2013.

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but it's been getting a lot of attention and winning a lot of 'most anticipated MMO' awards.

My brother had been keeping up with it since he bought it when it originally launched, he said its looking to be pretty good. He's fairly excited about it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Is the Neverwinter MMO still in development? That could be interesting. Also Everquest Next and some kind of vampire MMO called World of Darkness that allegedly features permanent death of your toon (not in a living undead way...as in "gone forever").
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Rogue
While still being skeptical, I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and Elder Scrolls Online. From what I've read and seen of them they look like they could be pretty awesome as long as they don't fall into the usual pitfalls that usually spell doom for mmos. Though actually I'm thinking they could do extremely well if nothing in development goes wrong since there is hardly any hype built up around either. The number one thing that hurt swtor and gw2 the most was the ridiculous levels of hype.

It's still flying under the radar, but Firefall.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

FPS + MMO? Yes please!

You should check out Planetside 2 if you haven't already. Pretty awesome free 2 play fpsmmo from what I hear.
Edited by Keathil on 12/31/2012 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
64 Night Elf Warrior
Wildstar, apparently it is made by ex-wow developers who worked on vanilla and BC
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Anyone tried out Ragnarok Online 2? How does it compare to the original? Played the crap out of the original back in the day
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'm looking forward to Pathfinder Online. It sounds like it's going to be a nice Nitch game with with a lot of potential. A lot of ideas the dev team is putting out there sound really good with some decent innovation.

Plus I could really get into a Sandbox style game where players actually have a permanent impact on the world
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Guild Wars 2 is a great MMO actually, and even though its endgame PvE lacks compared to World of Warcraft, for 0$ a month and a major content patch every *month*, it's kind of a no-brainer, really.

As for good MMOs to come, the hype seems to be on Elder Scrolls Online these days, and it is already being called a (LOL) "WoW killer". I wouldn't get too excited about it though, from what I gathered with their lastest video, it sounds like a Guild Wars 2 ripoff with bland art direction and a monthly fee. It sounds like it'll be to Guild Wars 2 what SW:TOR was to World of Warcraft. I'm waiting to see the final product before judging but I'm not very excited about it.

Then there's Final Fantasy XIV. The game has tanked almost as hard as SW:TOR, but they're completely remaking the game from scratch with a game designer that actually plays MMOs and know what people like in them, -and my!- it's starting to look really good. The game could go both ways: very good or very bad, and I don't have high hopes for it's popularity considering the bad karma of the original game, but if you need a break from WoW and are willing to pay monthly fees again, I would keep an eye on that one to see how people like it.

There's Blade & Soul which is supposed to be a martial arts based Korean MMORPG. Yeah, I know. Korean... MMOs... grindfest... little girls in j-strings... pay-to-win... Those developers aren't stupid though, TERA's developers toned down the grinding a little and gave a little more acceptable clothes to their Elin race, so I don't think we'll get the unmodified Korean version. That said, we don't know a lot about Blade & Soul, I wouldn't expect it in 2013, personally. I'd keep an eye on the first two for now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Yeah

12/31/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Padgagers
Is the Neverwinter MMO still in development? That could be interesting. Also Everquest Next and some kind of vampire MMO called World of Darkness that allegedly features permanent death of your toon (not in a living undead way...as in "gone forever").

Yeah early 2013 probably first quarter.I have my eyes on this as well
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
Elder Scrolls Online: If there is ever is a wow killer this would be it, comes from a franchise of already popular games (as was the case with wow). I think it could be really good except for certain problems like no crafting (at least this is what I've heard)

Wildstar: Made by ex-wow people which immedietly made me take interest in it. I lost this interest when I saw the trailer, it looked more like a trailer for a Disney-pixar movie from a so-called "Hardcore" game

Blade and Soul: I am sorry, but this looks like just another run-of-the-mill Korean MMO. Girls with boobs as big as their heads was the first clue.

Final Fantasy A real reborn: This could be good, however the failure of the game originally does not show too much promise, people might be reluctant to try it again
Edited by Spakpak on 1/22/2013 4:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
01/01/2013 01:24 AMPosted by Méo
Guild Wars 2 is a great MMO actually, and even though its endgame PvE lacks compared to World of Warcraft, for 0$ a month and a major content patch every *month*, it's kind of a no-brainer, really.

No, GW2 is a terrible MMO. GW2 is basically the poster boy for everything that is wrong with modern MMOs today. They completely threw the baby out with the bath water when they were "innovating".

Everquest was the first 3D MMO that really got the genre moving, it is the MMO that designed the formula that nearly all over MMOs still use today. WoW itself is a direct copy of Everquest at its core. It has evolved a lot since then, but most of the fond memories people have from old WoW are designs taken from Everquest.

Everquest check, WoW check.. after that we sort of lost the magic that Everquest created. Games distanced themselves further and further and are now shallow shells of an MMO. GW2 is basically the pinnacle of this shallow shell and magic being lost.

We hold out hope now only for Titan and Everquest Next, hopefully one or both of them can bring back the magic that MMOs lost after WoW, because the magic that was created with Everquest was truly something special.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/31/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Padgagers

TotalBiscuit has a video of it he released not too long ago. He played it with the developers in its closed beta state. Look up "WTF is Neverwinter" on the YouTubes. Shouldn't be hard to find.

I'm looking forward to ESO. My beta application said my chances of getting in are "above average" (I basically wrote an essay @_@) so fingers crossed.

It looks good for a couple of reasons. First, the megaserver concept, ie, one giant server that phases depending on various circumtances. A bit like LotRO but less terrible. I especially like the idea that you basically fill out a questionaire and it will phase you with like-minded people. You only want to play with hardcore serious players ages 18-26? Cool, we've got a phase for you. Want to play with casual players ages 34-42? We've got a phase for you.

Second, there's the concept that you can be in multiple guilds at one time. You could br on. PvP guild and a progression raiding guild at the same time without needing to find a jack-of-all-trades group of people.

Finally, the game plays like an Elder Scrolls game and not a standard MMO. You can use any gear you want, any weapons you want, you attack with your left mouse button and block with your right, etctera. There are a couple hotkeys for a handful of abilities, but the premise is the same.
Edited by Vanarela on 2/11/2013 11:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Well I just dropped some money on Project Awakened Kickstarter.

It's Not an MMO but it looks like a good place to fill my longing for CoH (hell with you NCSoft).

They basically seem to be taking the concept of Minecraft and applying it to an Action game. Make your guy anyway you want and unleash it on the world, use mods to build your own stories, own cities, own universe. Share with others, maybe some multiplayer action.

Elder Scrolls online is looking pretty good though, and FF is shaping up nicely.

Who knows maybe we'll start to get some innovation in the MMO market instead of a bunch of WoW clones failing all over the place
Edited by Drakmor on 2/11/2013 10:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
02/11/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Vanarela

TotalBiscuit has a video of it he released not too long ago. He played it with the developers in its closed beta state. Look up "WTF is Neverwinter" on the YouTubes. Shouldn't be hard to find.

I'm looking forward to ESO. My beta application said my chances of getting in are "above average" (I basically wrote an essay @_@) so fingers crossed.

It looks good for a couple of reasons. First, the megaserver concept, ie, one giant server that phases depending on various circumtances. A bit like LotRO but less terrible. I especially like the idea that you basically fill out a questionaire and it will phase you with like-minded people. You only want to play with hardcore serious players ages 18-26? Cool, we've got a phase for you. Want to play with casual players ages 34-42? We've got a phase for you.

Second, there's the concept that you can be in multiple guilds at one time. You could br on. PvP guild and a progression raiding guild at the same time without needing to find a jack-of-all-trades group of people.

Finally, the game plays like an Elder Scrolls game and not a standard MMO. You can use any gear you want, any weapons you want, you attack with your left mouse button and block with your right, etctera. There are a couple hotkeys for a handful of abilities, but the premise is the same.

I just signed up for ESO as well, it also told me that my application had an "above average" chance of being selected. I'm thinking that maybe they just tell that to everyone?
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
The "above average" application just means that you didn't fill in all of the fields applicable for whatever reason. It gave me an Excellent, although I am fairly sure I won't get into the beta until it's open beta (if there is one)
02/11/2013 11:09 PMPosted by Ramulus

The WoD mmo is in limbo or development hell or whatever you want to call it. CCP (the same guys that own Eve Online) have said that it is still in the works. That said, they have a lot of their resources devoted to running Eve, and have devoted a lot of resources to getting Dust 514 ready for release, so pushing a 3rd MMO through development is probably a ways off
Edited by Yongsa on 2/11/2013 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Check out some of the F2P games out there. Most of the people who crap on them have obviously never played them very much. FFXIV might be good, but I'm not holding my breath. I was a big FFXI fan, but I am not convinced that FFXIV will be all that notable. SWTOR was a great game for me. I loved the hell out of that game. GW2 was really fun for like 2 weeks....and then I got bored. LoTRO was really fun for a while, too, but it failed to maintain my interest.

I've played too many MMOs to list here, but the only ones that have really grabbed me were FFXI, WoW and SWTOR.
Edited by Chunk on 2/12/2013 1:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
Check out some of the F2P games out there. Most of the people who crap on them have obviously never played them very much. FFXIV might be good, but I'm not holding my breath. I was a big FFXI fan, but I am not convinced that FFXIV will be all that notable. SWTOR was a great game for me. I loved the hell out of that game. GW2 was really fun for like 2 weeks....and then I got bored. LoTRO was really fun for a while, too, but it failed to maintain my interest.

I've played too many MMOs to list here, but the only ones that have really grabbed me were FFXI, WoW and SWTOR.

I too loved SWTOR...until I reached the level cap. Then I quickly realized that there was almost no endgame PvE content. No dungeon finder is fine for leveling, but it really hurts when you're max level and have to spend hours trying to find a group. Coupling that with the fact that when you finish your class questline, it feels like the game is over anyway and you have a crippled game right from the start. (IMO)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]