Things I've learned while mistweaving.

I originally planned on maining my prot warrior in MoP for end game. I also started this character as many people did to try out the new stuff. It didn't take long at all to fall in love with mistweaving. I leveled to 90 and am raiding as pure mist with no offspec. Here's some of the things I've learned along the way.

Never underestimate Eminence. There's been several heroics where Eminence was about all the healing needed for the run. This is including Eminence from the statue and the Serpent's Zeal buff. Occasionally It's even 3rd to 5th top heals on some raid encounters.

Renewing Mists. I keep it rolling pretty much at all times. It's buggy as hell and sometimes I feel like it's programmed to jump to where it's least needed, but it does work in most cases and many times it's nice to have that Uplift fuel available. It doesn't really cost any time or mana to hit it on CD. I generally just keep the boss targeted and let it self cast on me and spread from there and I get fairly good coverage, and over the course of an encounter it's a lot of healing that you don't have to put much effort into just like Eminence.

Mana regen. There's no magic number on spirit. Some people have much more than I do and always go oom. Others do fine on less. I found a nice happy spot on mana regen, If I'm oom it's because the encounter went bad early, I just got combat rezed or I panicked when someone's health dropped and dumped half my mana bar on them.

I use Glyph of Mana Tea and generally hit it on CD. I found that with the new crit to tea buff I had way too much tea. If you're using the glyph and only stacking crit for the purpose of gaining more tea, you may be wasting it. If you want crit for the crit then go for it. I dumped all my crit for other stats and I still always have tea on CD.

Mastery. Some people really hate it. Some people only like it for 25 mans. Just on a whim I forged into a ton of it one week just to see how well it could do. Since then it's generally been about my 4th highest heals in most 10m encounters. For me that's proves the skeptics wrong on the uselessness of mastery. That's one more high output heal that you don't have to put much effort into.

Melee vs Range. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. There's a lot of passive healing that goes out from melee healing. The boss mechanics will treat you as melee regardless of where you choose to stand. I personally like having the luxury of choosing where I want to be based on the encounter, but I prefer melee when possible due to higher healing output and I tend to use less mana that way.

All in all I enjoy the weirdness of mistweavers above all else. It's not just another healing class. And there seems to be a lot of debate still on the right and wrong way to gear, spec and heal with a monk. Hopefully this insight will either help or enrage some other monks out there.
Reply Quote
Things you will discover about mistweavers :

A) you cannot control who you heal

B) Mistweaver set up is extremely complex and if you fail with it, then you can't heal during when damage does happen (and it doesn't help that, sometimes you can set it up correctly but fail due to RNG).

C) Mana - Mana while nice, it doesn't seem like there's any - ready to be spammed use for it.

D) Scaling is bad, mastery is not noticible.

E) If you aren't in 25 man several of your abilities are useless.
Reply Quote
@ Flutter

A) Though the majority of our healing is passive and goes where it wants to I sort of just consider most of that a buffer. I do however have plenty of target-able heals. If Sirtanksalot takes some large damage, without even deselecting my target I mouseover (with macro) Sirtanksalot and hit Soothing. From there while channeling I can also throw in Enveloping and if I really want to dump some mana I can toss in a few Surgings. I find it a real quick way to bring a specific someone up to full.

B) It is complex. Which is why there's so much debate about right and wrong even this far into things. But to me that's part of the fun. I've bounced my stats all over the place finding my happy spot and I still plan to try different things next week. You're also correct on the RNG. Nothing like spamming uplift twice to heal four people that don't need it and a couple pets. Fun times.

C) I have no clue what you're trying to say here.

D) Mastery is noticeable. I was shocked how noticeable it was actually. But again this varies a lot. They might spawn in good spots and heal a ton or they might all spawn in dumb places and never get used. But when it generally ends up being my 4th largest heal in only a 10m, I can't say it's bad at all.

E) I just disagree with you here. I find most things more effective in 10 than 25 due to target caps. I don't even look at my Uplift button in 25.
Edited by Sharei on 12/17/2012 1:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Mastery and Crit were mathed out to be roughly equivalent in terms of throughput. Therefore, crit is more desirable because it has the added benefit of being a regen stat as well. 25 mans is SCK spam and Chi burst, doing that in 10 man would be ill advised. Our single target healing is bad because by the time you hit them with soothing and start casting enveloping another healer has already greater heal'd them back to full, causing EH to do like 60% overheal.
Reply Quote
A ) Surging is a spell that should never be used cause of how bad it is. You can only control where single target heals go, that's not good in aoe situations.

As for B, I was thinking more of set up for AOE preemptively.

TFT UPLIFT before aoe damage hits (8 seconds before)., then have 4 chi, 10 + targets with RM for uplift during the damage period. Given how RM bounces sometimes its difficult to decide - if it's worthwhile using uplift to refresh RM on such few targets.
If you get bad RNG with RM, good luck trying to heal, not happening.

As for c ) I find even at low amounts of spirit 4k or so, you can be comfortable with SM / JAB for chi, and any excess doesn't really serve a purpose, given the only ways to spend mana are :

RM , SM , JAB, SCK, Surging (should never be used), and expel harm / healing sphere.

There's not a lot to do with mana especially at critical moments.

D ) you cannot "see" when your mastery heals, just what it does at the end of the fight, such that it will probably not change your spell selection at all.
Edited by Flutterdash on 12/17/2012 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, the whole renew/tft/uplift thing is so hit or miss I don't count it as one my go to heal methods. It has the potential to be good but you just never know. I do keep renew rolling always because it doesn't really cost anything in mana or time to do so. Because of the hit or miss cases with the whole combo I rarely even bother with tft. In cases where I need lots of multi target heals I'll glance at where the renews are, if they're on the right people I'll go ahead and uplift spam, otherwise I'll do something else.

I wouldn't say Surging should never be used. If i'm channeling anyway than blowing a few instant surges on the target is a real fast heal. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you're prone to mana issues or if a more efficient heal would do the job. Other wise the main spot I use Surging is between encounters with the glyph to to fill up the people that just rezed.

Over all I can't say I have too many healing problems multi or single target.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't say Surging should never be used. If i'm channeling anyway than blowing a few instant surges on the target is a real fast heal. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you're prone to mana issues or if a more efficient heal would do the job. Other wise the main spot I use Surging is between encounters with the glyph to to fill up the people that just rezed.

Healing spheres are an even faster heal and more efficient, the only issue being the practicality of casting it on top of players ;/
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Flutterdash

Healing spheres are an even faster heal and more efficient, the only issue being the practicality of casting it on top of players ;/

I fully agree with you, except I'm really terrible at getting them in the right spot fast enough. That's a player problem on my part though. So I'm rollin with the Surge in the cases where it's needed.
Reply Quote
I fully agree with you, except I'm really terrible at getting them in the right spot fast enough. That's a player problem on my part though. So I'm rollin with the Surge in the cases where it's needed.

Which is why blizzard should decrease surging mana costs so both methods are roughly equivalent.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Actually, mastery and crit were mathed to be similar throughput on mastery spheres alone.

In overall throughput, crit is leagues ahead of mastery.

Theres no way in god's green earth you were generating more tea than you could consume (on average) if you hit it on CD. Period. It's mathematically impossible until 33.333% crit chance to "on average always have extra tea".

Yeah, I can eminence heal through heroics and do nothing but dps, and fights are so short my mana will regen between them. But it doesn't apply to raids.

As above, crit's still our strongest throughput stat.

Spirit is personal, but you can do fine with 8k.

Mastery looks strong on your healing, but it didnt change. Other spells got weaker, and it by comparison looks stronger. But it's still just as horrible of a stat as before, and crit equals its throughput on mastery spheres alone, it seems.

I do fine/competitive healing in 25m and I don't touch SCK. You don't have to use it, you can stack int/crit instead.

Healing sphere OP.

why in the world would you ignore the only heal with a remote chance of NOT having 60% overheal in 25s? (uplift) it's our strongest spell by far, even after nerfs.

At the top level, there really isn't much debate. It's all been mathed out. The only "debate" left is whether stacking int/crit and using more jabs and less SCK or stacking more spirit and using more SCK, is better. And from what I've seen/compared with, they both are relatively equal.
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Astråios
Theres no way in god's green earth you were generating more tea than you could consume (on average) if you hit it on CD. Period. It's mathematically impossible until 33.333% crit chance to "on average always have extra tea".

I don't know where you're getting your info from but after the patch I was usually sitting on 20 stacks of tea. I have no idea what my crit was at but I wasn't forging/gemming into it. As of now my crit is about 12% and I'm usually floating around 5 stacks of tea.

12/17/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Astråios
why in the world would you ignore the only heal with a remote chance of NOT having 60% overheal in 25s? (uplift) it's our strongest spell by far, even after nerfs.

Uplift is strong but as stated above you cannot control where renew goes. In a 25 man it could really be anywhere. It could be on a bunch of people that need a heal or not. If renew is in the right place i'll hit the uplift. If 25 people just got hit by <big damaging thing> I have other options that will heal more people than uplift could even at best. In 10 mans renew has a much better group coverage thus making uplift more useful.

My point in this thread was not to start another "how to play debate" but to give hope to people that think monk healing is too hard or broken. It's not broken. (except the bugginess of the way renew jumps around) If I can effectively heal with a monk without having any major issues, then it's not broken because I am by no means the best healer that wow has ever seen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]