Rogue PvP FAQ. (S12) (5.1)

100 Human Rogue
Firstly, I make no claims about my pvp prowess (or lack thereof). This is a repository of fairly strait forward questions that we get often here on the forums. Any well reasoned advice that is on offer will be included.

Resources:
  • http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/228496-vishas-and-hildegards-rogue-guide-approved-by-reckful/
  • AJ is long standing figure in the arena community and pvp at large. This thier rogue guide.
  • (WARNING: The AJ forums are generally not work safe.)
  • Arena Subforum
  • http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011696/
  • Battlegrounds Subforum
  • http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011697/

With that out of the way. Lets get to the general questions.

What is the best spec for pvp?
  • It isn't entirely clear, but Subtlety, followed closely by Assassination, appears to performing to a high level in arena.
  • Subtlety has its usual bag of tricks with Shadow Dance, which always aligns the burst trinkets.
  • Assassination has high constant pressure with its offensively oriented finisher rotation.
  • Combat has strong burst, a skillshot with Killing Spree and an 8 second Kidney Shot.

Should I gem PvP Resilience or PvP Power?
  • PvP power for random battlegrounds.
  • PvP Resilience for rated play.
  • A good rule of thumb is if you are dying before you get heals, then gem for resilience.

What talents should I use?
  • To get an idea go to:
  • http://www.guildox.com/go/g.asp?c=4&r=&w=&a=23&n=&e=pvp

What race should I choose?
  • Undead for the horde is strong with the proc effect and Will of the Forsaken.
  • Human aren't as strong now without double on-use trinkets, but it is still the strongest alliance race.
  • I won't say any more on the topic, since everyone has an opinion about it.

Should I use a non-dagger "hemo build" a subtlety?
  • The direct damage per energy difference between Backstab and Hemorrhage is significant. Hemo only if you have to.
  • 203% weapon damage / 30 energy = 6.76% wd/e for Hemorrhage.
  • 275% weapon damage / 35 energy = 7.85% wd/e for Backstab.
  • This is about 16% difference, before you factor the bonus damage on backstab.
  • So, basically, if you only use Hemorrhage that it akin to not activating Sanguinary Vein.

Which Poisons should I use.
  • Assuming that you have the 4 piece, Deadly Brew...
  • Wound/Mindnumbing. (The shiv effect is unfortunately consumed by instant casts.)
  • You may still want to use Crippling for Shiv.
  • Assassination may want to use Deadly.
Edited by Aeriwen on 1/7/2013 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Gear.

Note: Buying Elite versions of gear (that use the regular gear as a currency) will preserve any upgrades. For instance, if you upgrade a regular 470 dagger to 478 (2/2 upgrades.), and then purchase the Elite (490) dagger after having achieved the required rating, you will receive a 498 (2/2 upgrades) dagger.

Set Pieces.
Malevolent Gladiator's Leather Helm
Malevolent Gladiator's Leather Spaulders
Malevolent Gladiator's Leather Gloves
Malevolent Gladiator's Leather Tunic
Malevolent Gladiator's Leather Legguards

Off-set Pieces.
Malevolent Gladiator's Boots of Cruelty Malevolent Gladiator's Boots of Alacrity
Malevolent Gladiator's Cape of Cruelty Malevolent Gladiator's Cape of Prowess
Malevolent Gladiator's Armwraps of Accuracy Malevolent Gladiator's Armwraps of Alacrity
Malevolent Gladiator's Necklace of Proficiency Malevolent Gladiator's Necklace of Prowess
Malevolent Gladiator's Ring of Accuracy Malevolent Gladiator's Ring of Cruelty
Malevolent Gladiator's Bracers of Prowess
Malevolent Gladiator's Waistband of Accuracy

Trinkets.
Malevolent Gladiator's Badge of Conquest
Malevolent Gladiator's Insignia of Conquest
Malevolent Gladiator's Medallion of Cruelty Malevolent Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity
Malevolent Gladiator's Emblem of Cruelty Malevolent Gladiator's Emblem of Tenacity

Weapons.
Malevolent Gladiator's Shanker
Malevolent Gladiator's Ripper
Malevolent Gladiator's Quickblade
Malevolent Gladiator's Pummeler
Malevolent Gladiator's Cleaver
Edited by Aeriwen on 12/19/2012 2:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Talents.
Edited by Aeriwen on 12/18/2012 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Macros/etc.

Done with reserves. Still writing though.

Feel free to chime in.
Edited by Aeriwen on 12/18/2012 10:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
coming back to the game after a year+ away..thanks for the guide :)
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Aeriwen
Human aren't as strong now without double on-use trinkets, but it is still the strongest alliance race.

Not sure what you meant by this, iirc you could never pop two on use trinkets at a time.

Proc + On use is better if you can line them up properly if not you're a derp, and if you are you should be a nelf for second vanish >.>
Edited by Relikar on 12/19/2012 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
12/19/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Relikar
Human aren't as strong now without double on-use trinkets, but it is still the strongest alliance race.

Not sure what you meant by this, iirc you could never pop two on use trinkets at a time.

Proc + On use is better if you can line them up properly if not you're a derp, and if you are you should be a nelf for second vanish >.>

Before the change to one minute, you could alternate between two on-use trinkets for every shadow dance. The change doesn't make humans inferior, just no longer superior.
Reply Quote
12/19/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Aeriwen
Before the change to one minute, you could alternate between two on-use trinkets for every shadow dance. The change doesn't make humans inferior, just no longer superior.

I knew about that, but having the proc and the on use going at the same time still beat it imo.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Just as an update, I'm working on weights for various gearing scenarios, including pve gear/stats.

I know that there are other sources with wieghts and what not, but given the much smaller community size, and despite the skill expressed by many in the pvp community, I feel it best to verify the numbers. The rogue community is rather small, so errors will be much more likely to slip through simply because less people are looking at them.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
It's actually really close between undead and orc atm actually because rogues cannot take many hits atm the 15% passive reduct to stuns plus the 10% from meta is awesome!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]