Dreaming of the farm...

90 Troll Hunter
WTB: Meat Seeds, Fish Seeds, and Skyshard Seeds (high failure rate...okay, this one is extreme...I have never seen one from a mob drop...)
Reply Quote
13 Pandaren Monk

While some of this has to do with tuning, we are considering some improvements to the farm and in this area. We might need to adjust the numbers a bit to reduce, say, Alluring over time. But we do want to make you feel that you need to tend to things regularly, even if you become more efficient in handling it. Though, perhaps we can consider allowing more crops to randomly grow without any obstacles or challenges, especially after you’ve proven your farming savvy.

That would be positively fantastic. The infestation on my farm is unbelievable. I've been looking for the number of a proper exterminator to handle the nesting vermin. I've also taken to reading Farmer's Digest, in hopes of finding a solution to making my crops less alluring. I understand that I grow incredibly attractive plants, but there must be a way to mask them from my avian foes. Perhaps if I put a mask and a top hat on each of them that will make them less interesting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Wish List for farm:
1. Make it a real home for us. Give us a hearth stone and rest ability.
2. Let anyone in our group see our farm and explore it.
3. The Scarecrow we buy should be able to scare away the birds and our dog should help with the vermin. And I want to name my dog.
4. Food storage shed for cooking mats that is account bound. Willing to quest for it.
5. The back area of our farm should be opened up for us to landscape with trees and flowers. We could get new items for professions like benches (black smithing), fountains (engineers), wind chimes ( jewelers), silk butterflies (tailors) and glowing lanterns for leather workers. Of course there would be at least 3 new patterns for each item and more to be found out in the world.
6. Besides flowers for the garden we could also learn how to raise roses and cross breed our own for new varieties which we could plant or sell.
7. Quests from the different factions asking for items. Quest could come via mail.
8. Keep the farm on pace with the game.
9. Our chickens should lay small eggs we can gather. Maybe new recipes for using eggs?

Those are amazing ideas .... would be awesome to be able to do them!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I love my farm. I love that I have all of my best friends to help me with my farm. But wouldn't it be nice if...

You could jump onto Miss Fifi and stamp all the vermin out of your occupied soil.
Your dog would chase away the birds from your alluring veggies.
The chickens would lay eggs.
The pigs would...fertilize...a crop or two....

What dreams do you have?

While some of this has to do with tuning, we are considering some improvements to the farm and in this area. We might need to adjust the numbers a bit to reduce, say, Alluring over time. But we do want to make you feel that you need to tend to things regularly, even if you become more efficient in handling it. Though, perhaps we can consider allowing more crops to randomly grow without any obstacles or challenges, especially after you’ve proven your farming savvy.

Thank you - I think we *should* get at least a little better at it the longer we farm. Less pests, or maybe bigger crops??
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I'd be happy if Yoon would just help out now and then. Maybe once in a while we could show up and he would come up and say he went ahead and picked our crops for us and set them by the steps in a bucket.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I just want to say that the Master Plow is awesome. Would be nice if we can upgrade that with valor to Ultra level which will plow all 16 plots at once.

/dream

And yes to all the good ideas in here...even all of them may make it *too good*. Some kind of Lesser Tiller Token drop from the mobs that can be combined (like say 90 of them) into 3 regular tokens would be nice. >_>

A private hearth spot would be perfect. Just need a bed crammed into that cabin.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
12/19/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Crithto
perhaps we can consider allowing more crops to randomly grow without any obstacles or challenges, especially after you’ve proven your farming savvy.

I would be so shocked!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Something similar to a bank or void storage, it would be nice to have a special place on the farm to store my food. A cooking bag only limits my bag space to organize my food.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm putting my hand up to say something to get rid of the vermin. I really hate harvesting, finding "occupied soil" clearing that out, planting and finding a wriggling crop.

I also think Yoon has been getting a really good deal out of it. Does he actually ever do anything? Since technically its his farm, we just work there.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Let us buy a scarecrow that weakens the adds or something, and put a throwable weed-be-gone bottle as a reward for an achievement where you have to beat it in 8 seconds.

Fighting the adds isn't too horrible honestly, even as a healing spec, but fighting the stupid tentacles is really annoying :(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I always thought a benefit of the farm would be having access to trade chat.

Was dissapointed =(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
the problem with adding fish farm, meat farm, or seed variants therein, is it'd put people doing nothing but camping out at the farm rather than 'out in the world' fishing & killing for those particular drops -- especially if you could plant say, 16 turtle meat seeds and get 80 meat the next day (which is about the equivalent of farming 'em for an hour or two).

It'd only be 'acceptable' if it were analogous to the way the herb seed works (as in, you plant a meat seed, but don't know if you're going to get crocolisk, turtle, tiger, etc. in a range of 2-4 per plant). Same idea with any kind of fish seed.

Their whole mantra this expansion has been to get people out in the world -- i don't think they'd support people camping out at the farm non-stop very well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Did not like it being tied to cooking.

Killing weeds and vermin was fun for one round of it, after that it was frustrating and annoying to the point once i was exalted and did not need anymore cooking, i left it to rot.

Once i get the last 2 best friend status and have a look at what they put on there, no need to ever go back, unless they fix those annoying things
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I would love for some of the animals you gain to help you! Not so much for workload but because it'd add a lot fun-wise. Some of the animals aren't very prominent and after a while it's easy to forget they're even there.

The dog would be great for helping with fights or helping you plough. (Incidentally, any reason we can't dig when shape-shifted? Seems odd I can't dig in wolf form but I can harvest crops that way!)

The orange tree gift is also not very prominent, but would be really nice if it occasionally bore useful fruit of some sort.

The pigs would be great if they occasionally gave birth to piglet minipets you could capture :) Then again, this could apply to any of the creatures on the farm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
If your companion pets could chill out on your farm.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
12/19/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Nebliina
why doesn't the bug spray kill the bugs in my cabin?

Make BFF with Tina Mudclaw... She'll clean up the joint, and even give you a cooking stove!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Did not like it being tied to cooking.

Killing weeds and vermin was fun for one round of it, after that it was frustrating and annoying to the point once i was exalted and did not need anymore cooking, i left it to rot.

Once i get the last 2 best friend status and have a look at what they put on there, no need to ever go back, unless they fix those annoying things

Did you not see the tradeskill seeds you can buy? You can "grow" cloth, ore, herbs, motes of harmony...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Let me make friends with Orcs, geez everyone's Panda
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I agree with most of the sentiment here regarding toning down the obstacles for someone who has become exalted with the Tillers and all the friends on the farm.

What I find myself thinking about on a daily basis...

How did I end up with a freaking plow in my bags?

I don't intend to plow random plots of land anywhere else. I'd be ok just leaving it at the farm along with my watering can and sprayer. I trust Yoon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I find my feelings about daily farming activity vary between levelling characters and 90’s.

Levellers are different on two fronts; they can’t have more than 4 soil nodes and they can receive XP. The relatively small number of nodes combined with the XP means I don’t mind vermin or birds on my levellers at either the post-gathering or post-planting phases. The pests still take longer but I get something for it, the XP. As a unit of work, actions required on 4 nodes can’t reach an onerous level.

On my 90’s the feeling is different. Where I’ve reached Exalted and gained 16 soil nodes, I feel that there should be some relief from the non-trivial actions (vermin, birds, tentacles) which just doesn’t seem to be catered for amongst the rep tools available. Since they take so much longer for no additional benefit (no XP, no loot table) I monitor the proportion of non-trivial actions and consider it a very bad day when this is around 50%. At that point, I’d potentially be willing to nuke the whole farm and plant again, like on the weed whacking quest (not a suggestion, I want less actions not more).

The rewards are quite good from a day’s farming and there’s certainly the feeling that constant tending action is required. I’d like to see a way at 90 to reduce the incidents of vermin, birds and tentacles even if it’s proportionally such as scarecrow reduces incidence of birds by 50% or dog reduces incidences of vermin. In this way I could see some crops growing without a post-planting action and feel like I was getting a break rather than every damn crop being problematic every single day. Reduction of the post-harvest actions feels better.

Compared to the high volume of incredibly painful dailies in the game the farming unit of work doesn’t feel too bad. A few tweaks and I think it would feel right, the asinine anti-alt restriction on Harmony being another matter.

The one thing I can say for Yoon is he’s out standing in his field.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]