Dreaming of the farm...

90 Goblin Death Knight
I farmed every day, on several characters, for a long time.

Then the monotony set in...
90% of the plants have something wrong with them!
some of them take a long time to deal with, in a very repetitive, un-fun way.

I do not farm anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1) Make the gather & tilling radii the same as the planting radius. This is primarily for earlier farmers, but its really hard to find the sweet spot where you can harvest & till 4 plots of soil without moving, but finding it makes it a lot easier to tend a farm before you get the plow.

2) The Wild plants just shouldn't be a button mash anymore. It just makes you ignore the mechanic rather than participate.

3) I think a great couple of Quality of Life changes would be an auto-harvester and auto-planter. You would still need to manage your crops, but it would make the picking/planting cycle less tedious.

4) Wiggling Crops should also either get a similar visual treatment as Runty/Smothered crops, or the animation that already exists shouldn't have as much idle time as it does now. Sometimes its hard to notice that you have another Wiggling Crop that you need to tend.

5) Similarly it would be nice if your Growing crops gave you a stacking buff while you are in the vicinity of the farm, just to make it really easy to count how many you have growing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I'd like to see a new seed type - the Venus Flyleaf - that one could harvest for a random meat (cooking material), e.g. wildfowl breast, mushan ribs, tiger steak, etc. And maybe even a fisherplant for fishables.

I realize that there are technical issues and costs associated with adding something like a root cellar to store our veggies, and adding this would likely require a lot of development. One alternative that should be easy to implement would simply increase the stack limit on veggies from 100 to 250. Given the high material count requirements to make some items (like the feasts) a higher stack limit would help us all save on inventory space, without having to grow or further complicate backend storage requirements. Come to think of it, increasing stack limits on other tradeskill materials would be appreciated, I'm sure.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
The Best friend I invited to the farm to help out needs to ...... I dunno maybe start actually helping out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/19/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Crithto
While some of this has to do with tuning, we are considering some improvements to the farm and in this area. We might need to adjust the numbers a bit to reduce, say, Alluring over time. But we do want to make you feel that you need to tend to things regularly, even if you become more efficient in handling it. Though, perhaps we can consider allowing more crops to randomly grow without any obstacles or challenges, especially after you’ve proven your farming savvy.

nvm the alluring, I'd like a way to get rid of the tentacles.

A 1s cast time is stretching the boundaries of what it's physically possible to react to if you're Oceanic (e.g. a mildly fluctuating ~300ms - and my impression is that it's started server side rather than client side, so multiply that by two & add human reaction time).

The timing of the thumping is semi-predictable, and your odds of interrupting it are better if you guess rather than actually interrupt in a normal, reactive manner.

Personally I've prettymuch given it up as too annoying & simply spam the first button more rather than playing a portion of the game that clearly wasn't designed to work at over 150ms.
Edited by Lakhesís on 12/20/2012 3:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I love my farm. I love that I have all of my best friends to help me with my farm. But wouldn't it be nice if...

You could jump onto Miss Fifi and stamp all the vermin out of your occupied soil.
Your dog would chase away the birds from your alluring veggies.
The chickens would lay eggs.
The pigs would...fertilize...a crop or two....

What dreams do you have?

While some of this has to do with tuning, we are considering some improvements to the farm and in this area. We might need to adjust the numbers a bit to reduce, say, Alluring over time. But we do want to make you feel that you need to tend to things regularly, even if you become more efficient in handling it. Though, perhaps we can consider allowing more crops to randomly grow without any obstacles or challenges, especially after you’ve proven your farming savvy.

Blizz obviously never farmed a thing in its collective life. If farms had as many problems as the game does they would cease to exist.
Reply Quote
12 Blood Elf Priest
12/19/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Jaygeneric
90% of the plants have something wrong with them!

You wish! 100% of planted seeds have something wrong with them.

Judging from personal experience, 35-40% (ish) have something wrong after you harvest them, too (stubborn weed/occupied soil). So every plot needs attention at least once. About 1/3 of them need it twice.
Reply Quote
48 Troll Rogue
I could go either way on this.

Either let us diminish the number of wild vines or make one occassionally be the tentacle of an old god.

With a loot table.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
How about a questline to train Farmer Yoon - you know, the guy that owns the place. He's useless.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
YES! The vermin, bird, weed, and tentacle occurrences are a large pain in the green thumb.
Anything to lower it or give loot for the kills would be good.

As far as friends helping at the farm I have Gina Mudclaw, she can vendor and repair!

Would like to plant vanity plants but not on seed plots
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I would like it if when you get The Drunk Fish you were able to fish in your pond make i dont know mabey two random pool spwn there
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I love my farm. I love that I have all of my best friends to help me with my farm. But wouldn't it be nice if...

You could jump onto Miss Fifi and stamp all the vermin out of your occupied soil.
Your dog would chase away the birds from your alluring veggies.
The chickens would lay eggs.
The pigs would...fertilize...a crop or two....

What dreams do you have?

The timing of this thread couldn't be better. Just yesterday, I had 6 occupied soil after harvesting. Once I cleared that, and began planting, I ended up with 4 wiggling crops and 2 alluring crops. That's a bit excessive. I don't think that I shouldn't have to tend to crops; I don't think that I should never have any occupied soil or wiggling/alluring crops ever again (though, it would be nice!). The numbers of such crops, however, should be curbed/capped, limiting how many one gets per day. Additionally, Blizzard could allow the farm animal upgrades (dog/cat/mushan/yak) and/or friends to aid in fighting them. There is also the scare crow sitting, useless, in the middle of the field; how about allowing us to click that, sort of like we do with the irrigation and bug zapper, to scare off the birds and virmin?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
i think the worst i ever had was 3 hawks and 5 vermin..

i was like..ok i'm supposed to be a better farmer than i used to be..how come i have a worse pest problem than before?
i swear it felt like a raid on on my farm..

i just ran around and popped them all at one time and let lose my army and pet and took care of them all at once..

love the plow and sprinkler and pesticide thing..
i was hoping for something like that chopper or something to be able to get rid of the vermin and hawks..but it doesn't really do anything but chop up mobs you already killed lol
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Our "best friends" are more like selfish acquaintances. We get them gifts repeatedly, prepare their favorite meals for them every day ....and what do we get in return? a pack of seeds, random cosmetic animals on our farm, and a cricket.

And Yoon, who is supposed to be taking over the farming business, is the laziest worker of all!! He doesn't even offer any help in maintaining HIS farm.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/19/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Cerylidae
Spray cans of Weed B Gone purchasable for gold (or even ironpaw tokens) once exalted would be great.

What about Deathwing's Blood?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/19/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Ikinai
I would like to raise fish in my pond.

I was just thinking this the other day. It would be great if you could get fish eggs and place one type of fish in your pond, the same way that you plant crops.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'd like to be able to fish in my pond.

The tentacle is the one that I dread the most, but even then, it's not horrible. If you're really lazy, spamming just '1' will get the job done

It'd be nice if the animals freeloading...err...wandering on my farm helped in some manner with the daily chores

After some extent of time, either we shouldn't have issues with every crop, or there should be easier means to rid some of the riff-raff, for example, ability to sic the dog on all the wiggling/alluring crops

Our farm is instanced, it should be a place of rest and be able to hearth there. I imagine it would be quite some work, since each person has their own farm instance, to have friends over to my farm, but it would be nice.

P.S. - I think the farm idea was great and by know means are these complaints, just suggestions to improve the experience.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
12/19/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Crithto
perhaps we can consider allowing more crops to randomly grow without any obstacles or challenges, especially after you’ve proven your farming savvy.

^ This

For the past couple of months, I've simply neglected my farming responsibilities due to all the maintenance involved. It would be really nice to see a reduction in said obstacles once you've proven yourself by reaching exalted status.
Reply Quote
I'd like to see the vermin and birds give tiller's rep and drop some repair money, or extra crop (they are trying to steal your veg after all, they should occasionally have a veg or two on them. )

On my leveling girls I sometimes get nothing but weeds, which is fine except the only thing the occupied, wiggling and alluring do give is XP. I've had days where my 90's have gotten 8-10 kill crops a piece and my under 90's have gotten all weeds and water and infested.

If I am gonna have to spend that much time killing things and pay for repairs, they really need to drop something.

They don't even give grisly trophies for the darkmoon faire quest... I mean unless you are under 90 it really does seem like a complete time sink with no reward to have to kill them.

They either need to drop something or stop spawning after you hit 90. Otherwise it just sort of becomes you paying three times (once with your time and once with your repair money and once for the seeds) to get a crop the next day (not to mention if you are unlucky enough to have the fourth payment of an occupied soil before you till)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]