Resto Sham healing W/ Disc Priest

90 Pandaren Shaman
If you're healers are somewhat geared and you are a resto shaman healing with a decent discipline priest right now, no dobut you have noticed frustrations in your effective ability to heal. Disc Priest/Resto Shaman is probably the worst combination for 10m 2 heal fights. Let me explain. Disc Priests healing effectiveness centers around keeping the raid from taking damage and keeping them at 90+ plus health all the time. Resto shaman healings effectiveness comes from our mastery and maximizing our healing througput by healing targets <50% health. Counterproductive with a discipline priest. Resto Druids and Holy Pallys make much better partners with discipline priests for 2 healing 10m. However if you are a shaman and you have to two heal with a disc priest here are some things that will help you out. Don't reforge or gem into mastery (of course dependant on the fight) you will recieve very little benefit because your raid group will not be below 50% that requires your shaman specality burst healing. Instead haste and crit will provide more benefit. Synching a a healing rain on a stacked fight such as Gara'jal that is procing a lot of crits keeping the raid +80% health will go well with the disc priest absorbs. Glyphing Riptide is another solution to provide the fo-resto druid effect of keeping everyone prehotted and letting the disc work their absorb magic. There will still be times in a fight where even the best disc priests cant absorb it all so you will still need to keep your healing rain+chain heal burst ready.
Reply Quote
resto shaman and disc priests have amazing synergy - riptide and rapture.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I heal with a shaman and while I mitigate a lot of damage, there are times when the raid dips and that is when the shaman shines.

So in my opinion from all 16/16 fights for this tier, either the disc is shining or shaman is. No problem with that, both have tools to compliment what the other healer lacks.

There is no problem with healing with a shaman. I think your priest is just bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Frankly, I think it is terrible advice for a shaman to be reforging out of mastery simply because the shaman is healing along side a disc priest.

I've seen the argument before - that resto shammies have poor synergy with disc priests because shaman mastery operates to make shaman heals large when the target is at low health. Presumably, then, the argument rests on the idea that because disc priest absorbs are counted first, raid members are less frequently at lower health when the shaman is healing with a disc priest, as opposed to situations where the shaman is healing along side another class.

The problem with this argument is that it rests largely on situations that either don't exist or don't matter. With so many fights this tier being two-healed, the raid and the tanks are at low health *all the time*. And if they aren't at low health during portions of the fight, who cares? Are you really going to reforge out of mastery for the purpose of, what, hoping to snipe a tiny bit more hps when the raid is at higher health? I also find it dubious at best that additional crit or haste beyond a breakpoint would be helpful at all.
Edited by Taymage on 12/20/2012 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'd actually much prefer to be healing with a disc priest than the healers I heal with (monk/druid) because we have great synergy with disc. Disc prevents damage, but is weak on catching up after burst which is something we excel at.

When I heal with our druid my numbers are always much better than when I heal with our monk, or monk and druid. Partly this is because we are using 1 too many healers, but also because the constant hps monks dish out lacks synergy with the big chunks of healing shamans do every now and then.

Think of it in terms of the healing is like damage done. Shaman is sporadic burst damage. Monk is constant aura damage. Garalon makes a great analogy. If Garalon was a power ranger made of healers, his crushed would be dished by the shaman ranger, and his pheromones would be dished by the monk ranger. :P

Disc is totally unique, and works well with anyone but another disc, something that really sets them apart from other healers.

There are reasons for shamans to prioritize crit/haste instead of mastery, none of them have anything to do with disc priests. >.> It's a playstyle choice and one I've considered trying as well.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
If you are a shaman healing in a 10 man setting you probably will want to focusing more on crit than mastery...
A) All crits give a 106% bonus minimum. (w/ correct meta)
B) A high % of your heals get 168% bonus.
C) Resurgence

I'm not say abandon mastery, just keep a 2:1 ratio of crit to mastery.

In terms of that exact comp...
A) you have both burst damage (Spirit Shell) and constant damage (Healing Rain + Earthliving) covered by the most powerful abilities in the game for their respective types of damage.
B) Rapture + Mana Tide if you sync them up (AKA communicate rapture timing so they get two) yields the disc an extra ~90-110k mana every 3 minutes (on top of normal spirit regen). If that isn't sick synergy I don't know what is.
C) Both healers provide effective health to the tanks/raid. 10% health and DA/SSh/PW:S. That's a big deal for heroic raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
12/20/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Pitkanen
If you are a shaman healing in a 10 man setting you probably will want to focusing more on crit than mastery...

Where are you getting this?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Rapture + Mana Tide if you sync them up (AKA communicate rapture timing so they get two) yields the disc an extra ~90-110k mana every 3 minutes (on top of normal spirit regen). If that isn't sick synergy I don't know what is.

Don't count on this for much longer. I want it to be nerfed (and i'm fairly certain it will be)

Other than that i wholeheartedly agree. Shaman+Disc is a really nice 2 healing comp. Beaten only by Holy pally+Disc in throughput and absolutely OOZING utility.

Our shammy may not do as much bulk aoe healing, but she's saved soooo many people with fast/big heals.
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Priest
This just doesn't make much sense. Disc/Shaman is arguably the strongest 2heal comp there is with all the utility and synergy. In fights that matter, disc priests smooth out damage while shamans burst people back up. Disc just doesn't have the ability to burst HP bars back up if they get behind. Shamans can triage and provide the burst healing to help that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Disc rsham is one of the strongest 2 healing combos atm lol. Just because you might get owned on HPS doesn't mean it's bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Would kill for a shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I LOVE healing with a resto shaman. Rapture procs with mana tide down = 70-80k+ mana each time. Thats reason enough to have them together.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ask the hot classes (druid monk) what they think of 10m with disc and pali lol.

Not saying the annoyance isn't there, but as long as the raid leader and other healers aren't gawking at you about it (thinking you're weak or something) then it's just an annoyance and doesn't matter as long as the boss is falling over.

PS, harder fights with continuous dmg this doesn't matter regardless.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/20/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Kreyyn
Disc rsham is one of the strongest 2 healing combos atm lol. Just because you might get owned on HPS doesn't mean it's bad.

Let me correct my OP. Disc/rsham is not the worst possible combination. The point I wanted to get across is Mastery heavy shaman/disc priest is not the most effective way to heal in my opinion. The post wasn't about the numbers at all. Its just that with a mastery heavy shaman + a disc priest you would recieve more benefit from the crit that you would from being >50% mastery as the 10m raid group will rarely be below the 50% health that you'd need to get a greater benefit from your mastery. When I 2 heal with a pally or a druid I can go mastery heavy and get more effective healing than crit.
Edited by Xanaxer on 12/20/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
[quote="74142066227"]the 10m raid group will rarely be below the 50% health that you'd need to get a greater benefit from your mastery.

"Rarely"?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Yes "Rarely" when you are healing with good disc priest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
It seems to me that it flies in the face of reality to say people are "rarely" below 50% health.

If in your raid group, people are "rarely" below 50%, health, perhaps you should go elemental and let the disc priest 1 heal your fights.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
It seems to me that it flies in the face of reality to say people are "rarely" below 50% health.

If in your raid group, people are "rarely" below 50%, health, perhaps you should go elemental and let the disc priest 1 heal your fights.

This has no relevence to the thread. What fights have you done in 10m with a discipline priest where the majority of the time the constant raid damage is keeping group is below 50% health? These fights are mostly about spikes. Shaman are very good at bursting through the spike damage, discipline are very good at preventing the spikes.
Edited by Xanaxer on 12/20/2012 3:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
12/20/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Xanaxer
This has no relevence to the thread. What fights have you done in 10m with a discipline priest where the majority of the time the constant raid damage is keeping group is below 50% health? These fights are mostly about spikes. Shaman are very good at bursting through the spike damage, discipline are very good at preventing the spikes.

While there are a decent number of heroic fights this tier with big spike damage, none of the ones you've done really have any significant spike damage, or significant damage in general.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]