Resto Sham healing W/ Disc Priest

90 Goblin Priest
^^ nuff said
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Heroic empress ^^, jks it got nerfed and now it's ez.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
i do disc resto on my 10 and i like it better than monk or pally as my second. i has raid cds, priest has tank cds, and we both keep people alive, no problem there i say
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've never understood HPS competitions between Healers in Raids. When i Heal a raid, It is my goal to make sure the rest of you are not dead. Same goes for the other Healer. I don't care how much healing per second I'm doing, as long as no one is eating dirt.

During LK and Cata, I raided constantly with Healers who though it was a competition, I just sat back and let the other guy run himself OOM in the first half of a fight by overhealing and heal sniping, then proceeded to keep the raid alive when he was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Healing is not a competition, Thats for DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Not sure he is complaining as much as saying that the absorbs from his partner are neutering his mastery. I heal with two discs and two paladins in 25 and sometimes i spend my time just hoping around as their isn't much to do.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
It's true your output would go up if there is not a disc priest or holy paladin (I don't think that is disputable, the two types of mastery conflict), but healing is not a competition like some people bring it out to be.

Both classes bring a lot to the table in the form of burst AoE, but each does it through different means and so on this issue (one is premeptive, one is not), they don't really clash since burst AoE happens on lots of fights and neither classes can handle it by themselves.

On an unrelated note, was pugging an empress last night with two discipline priests and a resto druid... I never even saw a health bar drop more than 20% for any of the 8 total explosions because of spirit shell from each discipline priest. Like Harpoa said, if I had been healing in that case I probaly would be just hopping around because the classes would be clearly clashing. But in that specific scenario, every other healer would probably be twiddling their thumbs, not just shaman.
Edited by Gardiff on 12/21/2012 6:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Meh. I love healing with my disc partner. He's amazing, I'd say I'm a pretty good healer as well, and it's easier on both of us when we 2 heal compared to him with the Rdruid or me with the Rdruid. We also have a synergy that's not related to our classes as healers, which makes it even better. I've chosen to reforge out of mastery (and at my gear level I still have about 48% mastery even when I've reforged as much as possible into crit) and I fare much better now than when I was stacking mastery out the butt a few months ago. My only complaint is due to spirit shell's power and low CD, I'm not doing as much raw healing as I did when I was healing with a holy priest and a holy pally in my old guild, though I can't complain since we're killing bosses, people aren't dying from lack of heals, and neither of us is carrying the other. I think rsham and disc priest are a great combo.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
TSP
If you're healers are somewhat geared and you are a resto shaman healing with a decent discipline priest right now, no dobut you have noticed frustrations in your effective ability to heal. Disc Priest/Resto Shaman is probably the worst combination for 10m 2 heal fights. Let me explain. Disc Priests healing effectiveness centers around keeping the raid from taking damage and keeping them at 90+ plus health all the time. Resto shaman healings effectiveness comes from our mastery and maximizing our healing througput by healing targets <50% health. Counterproductive with a discipline priest. Resto Druids and Holy Pallys make much better partners with discipline priests for 2 healing 10m. However if you are a shaman and you have to two heal with a disc priest here are some things that will help you out. Don't reforge or gem into mastery (of course dependant on the fight) you will recieve very little benefit because your raid group will not be below 50% that requires your shaman specality burst healing. Instead haste and crit will provide more benefit. Synching a a healing rain on a stacked fight such as Gara'jal that is procing a lot of crits keeping the raid +80% health will go well with the disc priest absorbs. Glyphing Riptide is another solution to provide the fo-resto druid effect of keeping everyone prehotted and letting the disc work their absorb magic. There will still be times in a fight where even the best disc priests cant absorb it all so you will still need to keep your healing rain+chain heal burst ready.

Unreadable Wall of Text crits you for 640k damage
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
TSP
12/21/2012 05:11 AMPosted by Reitríx
I've never understood HPS competitions between Healers in Raids. When i Heal a raid, It is my goal to make sure the rest of you are not dead. Same goes for the other Healer. I don't care how much healing per second I'm doing, as long as no one is eating dirt.

I wish I had a dime for every time someone offered this rejoinder in the forums.

Apparently, the OP is telling us that his inability to match the disc priest on hps in his raids (on at least certain fights) means that he believes he isn't effective.

For the OP, I have two words...

Oh brother.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/21/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Sanctimonius

I wish I had a dime for every time someone offered this rejoinder in the forums.

Apparently, the OP is telling us that his inability to match the disc priest on hps in his raids (on at least certain fights) means that he believes he isn't effective.

For the OP, I have two words...

Oh brother.

I may do double the hps of our shaman, but if somebody drops low, it's her who saves them, not me. That seems just as valuable because a healer doing 120k aoe hps with 4 dead people still aint gonna beat the boss.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You just need to learn how to play your toon and the reality is that there are many options for each player to take. I don't agree with the person who said Crit>Mastery simply because crit means alot of overhealing to me where mastery is like many have said a life saving deal. I reforged all the available crit on my gear to mastery and if mastery was already present reforged that crit to haste. I love to see 300-350k crits on targets because of that I'm just curious what the better geared shamans burst at. My overheals on average are usually between 10-15% with the vast majority of that being earth shield procs, riptide, healing stream, healing rain etc... all things that aren't avoidable to a certain degree. For most fights with the exception of Garalon (We are 10/16 N and 1/16 H so i haven't seen all content) my HPS is below 15k. It would seem as though I'm not healing but in reality its a waste of mana for a shaman to heal someone who's at 70-100% hp unless of course a situation calls for everyone to be full mana. Prime example is Blade Lord fight. We typically 3 heal most fights in HoF so far. In the beginning of that fight I hover around 10k hps only healing after unseen strikes pretty much. By the time we get into p2 I'm 90% mana with all CDs available and for anyone who hasn't done that fight on normal raid takes hella damage dodging tornadoes and its extremely hard for healers to dodge tornadoes and heal a significant amount. But when a shaman does heal that fight we wreck it. I can go from sub 10k to 35k+ in a few seconds in p2.

Do what you feel is comfortable thats how I've always done dating back to my earliest raiding days in BC. I specced my war tank how I wanted to not how everyone else was doing it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Wasn't asking for help on how to play my class. I know how to play it and I do so very effectively. Wasn't complaining about numbers. Numbers don't mean anything to me. I have several world of logs rankings, that doesn't make me a better healer than someone who doesnt have any, it just means my group maybe took extra damage when they shouldnt have or I reacted quicker than my other healer. The point wasnt to complain about healing with a disc priest. I love my priest as well and certain fights our classes compliment each other very well. The purpose of my post was to try to offer help, based on my experience, to other shaman who were struggling synergizing with their discipline priest by stating what I found worked best with my group. Did you mistake this for a qq?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/21/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Harpoa
Not sure he is complaining as much as saying that the absorbs from his partner are neutering his mastery. I heal with two discs and two paladins in 25 and sometimes i spend my time just hoping around as their isn't much to do.

Same. We have 2 Disc Priests as well. On fights where my mastery isn't needed (or my mana tide for that matter) I either sit or go DPS. It's better than standing there doing nothing, since they, along with our other healers, have everything covered.

On the fights that I do heal, I leave the meter humping to those who care about rankings. As long as my assigned tank and the melee don't die, I'm happy.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
12/21/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Xanaxer
Wasn't asking for help on how to play my class. I know how to play it and I do so very effectively. Wasn't complaining about numbers. Numbers don't mean anything to me. I have several world of logs rankings, that doesn't make me a better healer than someone who doesnt have any, it just means my group maybe took extra damage when they shouldnt have or I reacted quicker than my other healer. The point wasnt to complain about healing with a disc priest. I love my priest as well and certain fights our classes compliment each other very well. The purpose of my post was to try to offer help, based on my experience, to other shaman who were struggling synergizing with their discipline priest by stating what I found worked best with my group. Did you mistake this for a qq?

Well the lack of breaks in your paragraph doesn't help your point. Nor does that fact that you're calling disc priest/resto shaman a terrible healing comp based on hps, when hps doesn't matter without context.

Disc priest hps, while strong overall, is best in 2 situations.

The first is on steady consistent damage that isn't too high where they can pretty much soak up the damage with DA spam; hps in this situation doesn't matter for any healer because the damage isn't threatening and most healers have a way to heal this kind of damage very easily anyway.

The second is heavy burst damage that comes at regular and predictable intervals that they soak via Spirit Shell. The single best example that comes to mind would be Grand Empress' Sonic Discharges. This is the situation where you point stems from; the situation where the disc priest prevents the heavy damage to be healed.

Where your point falls apart is that resto shaman is the single best healer for dealing with the situation that disc is very weak at handling, and that's during any heavy damage period that is either an extended period (most burn phases) or periods after heavy damage where the raid needs to be brought up as quickly as possible. Disc does okay in the former, and very poor at the former, while resto excels extremely well at the former and very good at the latter. This is why most people would argue that disc/resto shaman is the strongest healing comp in a 10-man, which is the complete opposite of your point.

HPS is not the end all be all stat when it comes to comparing healers, especially when a disc priest is involved. No other healer has the power to skew hps as much as a disc priest does, which is why you have to consider the damage pattern of a fight and the strengths of each healer involved whenever you look at hps or you end up with misguided conclusions.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I didnt realize I mentioned low numbers and low hps meters in my posts. However I appreciate your feedback.

While I corrected my statement of being one of the worst two heal comps, the point of the post was to share what I personally found worked best when healing with a disc priest to best benefit the overall healing of a fight, not how to pull higher numbers.

Of course there are exceptions when even a mastery heavy sham with a disc will do well, take heroic blade lord for example. I agree it changes in the fights, the majority that I have done with a priest, I have found crit benefits us more than mastery.

I just wanted to help any shaman that were having trouble healing with a disc priest.
Edited by Xanaxer on 12/21/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Maybe it's already been said but shaman mastery actually works BEST with a disc priest. What happens when people get low and a disc priest wants to heal them? Often as not, the disc priest is going to leave them at low health and put some kind of shield on them, or heal them for less than another healing class would with an extra (Divine aegis) absorb. The end result is that people stay lower for longer with a disc priest, while still being safe. Any other healing class is going to snipe the first half of the low HP heal and nerf the shamans mastery.

The only problem to disc+shaman is if the disc priest never actually lets damage happen, which isn't so much a problem with the healing combo as it is with the disc priest simply (practically) solo healing. If this is the case, I wouldn't really worry about mastery, it will still come in if and when damage gets through, otherwise I guess all you can do is relax and let the disc priest carry you.

I think the worst class to combine with a shaman's mastery is druid. Resto Druids tend to pretty much be healing everyone all of the time, so anytime someone gets low a resto druids hots will already be present, nerfing your mastery.

Bottom line is Disc priests are the last person to really heal a low HP target, and shamans want to be the first. Conversely, disc priests are the first person to heal a high-HP target via absorbs, which is exactly what the shaman doesn't want to heal. Sounds to me like the best possible combo, even without the rapture+mana tide shenanigans.
Edited by Sotanaht on 12/21/2012 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
They're probably sniping your heals. Your Disc Priest can use Spirit Shell after the raid takes damage to give you time to heal. But really, you'd best reforge for more Crit instead of Mastery so that you have better synergy.

Well, there's two things...

1.) If your Disc is really good at preshielding and anticipating damage, then you're better off reforging out of Mastery and into Crit. You'll never have people going low enough for your mastery to do any of the work. He's probably sniping all your heals too.

2.) If your Disc is nice, they'll focus on tanks and let you raid heal. I use spirit shell a lot reactively with a Resto Druid, so he knows when his rejuvs can tick out and not be sniped by my preshields. It saves us both on mana.

The only problem to disc+shaman is if the disc priest never actually lets damage happen, which isn't so much a problem with the healing combo as it is with the disc priest simply (practically) solo healing. If this is the case, I wouldn't really worry about mastery, it will still come in if and when damage gets through, otherwise I guess all you can do is relax and let the disc priest carry you.

Yeah this. If your Disc isn't playing nice or just really knows the fights to time absorbs too well, then your Mastery is just going to waste. Just don't ever drop mana tide to give it back to him. Then when they're lower on mana, you can start taking over.
Edited by Feythylan on 12/23/2012 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
HPR
12/20/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Xanaxer
Yes "Rarely" when you are healing with good disc priest.

ITSA ME A MARIOOOO
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
HPR
12/20/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Stormingire
This has no relevence to the thread. What fights have you done in 10m with a discipline priest where the majority of the time the constant raid damage is keeping group is below 50% health? These fights are mostly about spikes. Shaman are very good at bursting through the spike damage, discipline are very good at preventing the spikes.

While there are a decent number of heroic fights this tier with big spike damage, none of the ones you've done really have any significant spike damage, or significant damage in general.

I hear feng has no spike damage.. normal empress.. normal wind lord.. garalon normal/heroic.. why dont u look up the heals spiking on fights before u open ur mouth.. k thx
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/20/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Flutterdash
riptide and rapture.

What do these two abilities have to do with each other at all?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]