DK Tanking Guide (5.4)

90 Dwarf Death Knight
DRW does not copy our Rolling Blood, so to spread the DRW's diseases you have to use pestilence regardless of talent choice.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I found you !! Happy New Year fellow dead peeps!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
01/12/2013 06:11 PMPosted by Scarredsoul
I found you !!
I wasn't aware we were lost
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I am without this thread and the previous but not anymore!! =)
thank you for the guides!! woot

have a nice day.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Just a heads up....H sha is like, THE most fun fight to tank as a DK. That is all.
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
Normal sha is super boringly long as a dps.

Stupid nerd tanks.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
So apparently I'm a tank now. I also have a new fun thing to say. "Boom!" as I watch others die and I'm the last alive :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
01/17/2013 11:08 AMPosted by Tor
So apparently I'm a tank now.

you're movin up in the world.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
01/18/2013 01:41 AMPosted by Reniat
So apparently I'm a tank now.

you're movin up in the world.

Not quite yet. My dps set still out gears my tank.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Reniat what is your take on the Blood set bonuses for t15

Item - Death Knight T15 Blood 2P Bonus (New) Reduces the cooldown of your Rune Tap ability by 10 sec and removes its Rune cost.
Item - Death Knight T15 Blood 4P Bonus (New) Your Bone Shield ability grants you 15 Runic Power each time one of its charges is consumed.

I'm not sure about the 2P since I forgot I even had Rune Tap as an ability.

But with the 4P I'm seeing when Boneshield is up we get 100 rp during its duration and don't know how that will affects us in any way.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
the 2 piece isn't bad. remember that every 45s we can use it before we go under 30% hp and get 2 rune taps back to back due to Will of the Necropolis. The 2pc allows this to happen more easily since it no longer requires us to have a B rune available when you want to game rune tap in that manner.

Remember that as Blood tanks we aren't necessarily looking to "max self hps" or "minimize dmg taken", but rather to be stable. We achiev stability by being able to recover from damage. 10% isn't a lot, but you won't ever use it by itself to recover from large damage spikes anyway since you will generally be using Death Strike as well. Because of this it can almost be (loosely) thought of as an extra 10% on a death strike heal (not shield) every 20 seconds. That's not counting the fact that it was only 30s in the first place, but the removal of the rune limitation helps a lot with this as well.

TL;DR:
It gives us another way of recovering from burst, so it's good.

4pc:
It's not as good as t14's 4pc, but it's not worth gimping your stats (EH from gear matters) a bit by using t14 pieces well into t15 either. Think of it as a boost to Bone Shield. While bone shield is active you will have more RP, which allows for faster procs of your t75 talent (provided you don't cap rp).

TL;DR
you could loosely think of it as "more t75 procs while bone shield is active".

Both are going to be worth going for.
Edited by Reniat on 1/18/2013 10:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I tend to think of the set bonuses as a bonus. To a point it's more a flaw in the design though if we have to sacrifice better gear to use a set bonus. So for example I am using a 496 chest instead of using a less optimal 483 tier chest just for the 2 piece of 14. Not really sold on Vampiric Blood every 40 compared. I like the 2 piece for tier 15 more personally.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
H sha down. Had a blast on that fight. Will have a write up for normal and heroic terrace soonish.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
grats Reniat and I am jealous. Except for the part where you're a dwarf. They look smelly.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
01/22/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Tor
Except for the part where you're a dwarf.

The worst is when you're trying to not get covered up on a 25m kill screen shot. For example, from our empress kil: http://www.fallen-gaming.net/wowss/empress.jpg
(you can see my bone shield, but not me)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
01/22/2013 12:45 AMPosted by Reniat
Except for the part where you're a dwarf.

The worst is when you're trying to not get covered up on a 25m kill screen shot. For example, from our empress kil: http://www.fallen-gaming.net/wowss/empress.jpg
(you can see my bone shield, but not me)

That was one reason back in TBC why I liked being a Nelf Druid. I could usually see my character over all the humans, dwarves and gnomes. Only had one male draenei in that guild but he was usually kind enough to not stand near me. I always used the posts in hyjal to for that reason.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
yeah. If I could pick for aesthetics I'd be a draenei, but I just can't pass up Stoneform.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I'm too used to the heal to let it go. In particular when I'm dps and or solo. Plus the 1% hit. Though there is expertise in other races.
Edited by Tor on 1/22/2013 1:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
1st tanks for the guide, I know there was alot of time and theorycrafting in putting it together. However I have a question in regards to the "talent specs". How could you pass up death pact at all? Maybe with the healing of Death Siphion being buffed in 5.2 and the greater runic power generated by the 4 piece bonus from t15 making Conversion more palateable you could argue those talents are more useful. For myself having that "Oh #$*&%" button in Death Pact is almost like having "Lay of Hands" at our disposal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]