Holy Paladin V. Resto Shaman: competitive PVP

87 Blood Elf Paladin
Hiya. I'm just curious to hear the healing community's thoughts between restoration Shaman and Holy paladin... I PvPed pretty frequently in the previous expacs, and this time I decided I wanted to play competitively with a healer, for once. I can understand the strength and weaknesses of both the classes based on what I know from vanilla - cata. However, I don't quite know how healers play out in MoP, except 'not as well'. In CATA I could 0-100% people with a lucky WoG -> reWoG proc. I doubt this is any longer the case.

Likewise, with a resto shaman, I pretty easy to riptide + ES for the majority of the drawn out, 'we're waiting on CDs and DR's', and a NS= GHW would take care of the majority of things, as well as the vast utility from our totems..

That being said, this expac seems different. It seems [this is speculation] that more hard casting is required.

I'm a decent healer, and I'm good at responding to situations, and I love CCing well. Every time I watch Holy Paladins stand next to enemy healers but not rebuke I go insane. I like a more mobile approach, as well, but I'm rather lousy at mana conservation.

So, my point is, and [TL;DR]: Could I please have some form of short speculation on each spec's strengths and weaknesses so I could determine for myself which might fit my play-style more? [I also have a Rdruid, but I can't handle all the keybinds. It's more annoying than fun, anymore.]
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Shamans are better at dealing with caster cleave teams because of their ability to offensively dispel. They are also harder to interrupt because of tidal waves making their casts extremely fast. However, if you can get a shaman stuck in one place and silenced/stunned, he's pretty much done for, or will have a lot of ground to make up. Played well they are very very strong and have a plethora of cds to deal with most situations. Not very offensive outside of dispels.

Paladins are better at dealing with thug cleave teams or just melee cleave teams and have better cc than shamans. Their shields are strong, and they can break out of stuns with divine shield. Also very strong if well played, but much harder to get a hardcast off without infusion of light up. Very fast movement as well, without relying on ghost wolf, which can be easily dispelled over and over. Very good at cc'ing enemy healers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/27/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Keirisonis
They are also harder to interrupt because of tidal waves making their casts extremely fast.

In my experience, holy paladins are harder to interrupt than resto shamans most times because holy paladins have that ability that gives them super fast divine lights
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/27/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Dezie
In my experience, holy paladins are harder to interrupt than resto shamans most times because holy paladins have that ability that gives them super fast divine lights

It relies on crits though so if you end up being unlucky it can be very hard to get a cast off. As a shaman tidal waves is pretty much always gonna be up if you use riptide on cd.

So while pallies get a really hard to interrupt cast every so often, shamans get a relatively hard to interrupt cast all the time. Also shaman mastery means that each heal is probably gonna hit harder. (one might argue that pallies also get this in the form of shield but a shield is dispellable, whereas mastery's benefit is always going to be used, outside of a fight where you're topping your partner off constantly but then... why are you healing if your partner isn't taking much damage?)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
As already said:

Shaman is better for dealing with wizards.

Paladin is better for dealing with melee.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]