Open suggestions for blizz

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Since the DPS have dummies that they can beat on to see how much dps they do, the healers should have one as well that they can heal to check on their hps
Edited by Palys on 12/31/2012 6:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What would be the point?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
HPS in a vacuum doesn't matter. You can pull 120k hps on a dummy and it'll amount to nothing if you don't know how to react to damage patterns and heal preemptively. Also it wouldn't take into effect your mastery as a paladin or mine as a disc priest. Or movement in any real way (you can run back and forth all you want, it'll never be exactly that way in a raid.)

LFR is pretty much always healing dummies anyways. If you need to try out a new healing strat, then just run lfr. It's so easy that 4 decent (not necessarily even good) healers can heal through all but the hugest derps.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
target yourself?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
There is no reason for this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
While DPS dummies are useful because there is usually one target boss/add that DPS has to focus on, a Healer Dummy would be useless because you never just heal one person, - you are supposed to heal the Raid, meaning you have to heal multiple people at any given time.

For example, I have Rejuvenation on multiple targets at any given time and WG and Efflorescence heals even more people that very second. A single dummy would not give me anything near the HPS I am making in a Raid, so that number would be useless.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Duel a warlock, and try to keep yourself alive.
Reply Quote
I've seen this suggested a few times on the forums, and it's always gotten a lot of support, I'm surprised to see everyone here disagreeing with it.

It's no substitute for a real raid, but then again, neither are damage target dummies. It could be an interesting way for a new healer to try out healing and work on mana conservation without worrying about messing up in a group with other people. Maybe the dummy could progressively lose health or something. It wouldn't be used to just look at HPS, we all agree that that wouldn't be very helpful, but it's a way to work out how your spells interact and get some kind of feedback without endangering other players.

The reason why you'd want to use a dummy and just not spam heals on a random player in SW is that Recount and other meters won't apply unless you're in combat. Make it so that healing a dummy will put you in combat and you can see what your heals are like. If you're having mana trouble, you can look at your breakdown of spells and see what you're doing.

It's not something that would benefit experienced healers, but I could see it being helpful for new healers that are too nervous to hop into groups to test things out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Meh, running a random BG, especially one like Strand of the Ancients or Alterac Valley would be faaaaaar more helpful for a new healer. In those zergfests, no one really pays attention to healing meters, are grateful for any heals recieved, and is a much better learning environment as it requires learning who is worth saving, who isn't, how absorbs and shields interact with heals, what to dispel and when, and how your AoE heals work (range issues, etc.). Although all of the above could be possible with a dummy, I seriously doubt it would be worth the development effort.

Healing is so much more than HPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
12/31/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Palys
the healers should have one as well that they can heal to check on their hps

They are called tanks.
Reply Quote
12/31/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Harpoa
the healers should have one as well that they can heal to check on their hps

They are called tanks.

Except a dummy won't yell at you when it dies.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You guys are smarter than this.

Right?

Riôt
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
healing yourself doesnt register on recount
Reply Quote
My usual self-quote for these threads when they pop up:

Quoting myself from another thread about the exact. same. thing.

What DPS need in a target dummy for it to give them the information they need:
- Something that will not die during their x minute rotation test.

What a Healer would need in a target dummy for it to give them the information they need:
- Varying levels of health.
- Known single-target burst damage.
- Known raid-wide burst damage.
- Known multi-target (but not raid-wide) burst damage.
- Unknown single-target burst damage.
- Unknown raid-wide burst damage.
- Unknown multi-target (but not raid-wide) burst damage.
- Pulse damage.
- Dummies who stand in the fire.
- Dummies that don't stand in the fire.
- ... and countless other things I could probably spend the next half hour listing.

If you honestly can't see the difference, I really do not know what to say.

The question is not "Could it be done?" Because that answer is probably "Yes, I am sure it could." The question is "Should resources (both manpower and money) be poured into creating dummies that act like people when there are 10 million ACTUAL people that would serve the exact same function for free?" and that answer should be a resounding "No."

edit: No DPS, at least no one deserving of being called one, tests their absolute DPS on training dummies. They practice rotations, and gearing changes to see if there is a net-change. The numbers themselves are irrelevant, it only matters if they go up... or they go down. Which, for a healer, is the exact same thing you would see casting on yourself.
Edited by Morenn on 12/31/2012 9:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/31/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Flintte
an interesting way for a new healer to try out healing and work on mana conservation without worrying about messing up in a group with other people.

... you are looking for LFR.
The dummies' health bars even respond to mechanics and follow different damage patterns
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Why...why do people keep bringing this stupidity up? UGH.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
HPS is irrelevant in the context a dummy checks for. There is no reason you need to know a single healer's maximum possible HPS on a single tank in a situation devoid of any other factors/healers.

Healing is not DPS. Maximizing output on a single target is not the goal.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior

The reason why you'd want to use a dummy and just not spam heals on a random player in SW is that Recount and other meters won't apply unless you're in combat. Make it so that healing a dummy will put you in combat and you can see what your heals are like. If you're having mana trouble, you can look at your breakdown of spells and see what you're doing.

The damage meter isn't part of the game though, just the dummy. The parallel situation to a dps dummy would be someone making a meter you can set to record manually without being in combat, so you could just heal yourself or someone else. The dummy is in the game, just no one has made the add-on to parse the data.
Edited by Asthas on 12/31/2012 11:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Want a healing dummy? Go to LFR
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/31/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Dezie
Want a healing dummy? Go to LFR

Why settle for one dummy when you can have twenty-four...

:D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]