BrM Guide -Do you really know how to shuffle?

90 Pandaren Monk
I don't think 450k is bad considering Monks have low HP compared to other tanks, except Warriors.

Of course, my opinion is probably inaccurate as I got this character to 90, did like 5 heroics and went on a console FPS spree. I'll probably play more in 5.2
90 Pandaren Monk
Oh I just checked, the other guide did get stickied but brace yourselves for this...

Instead of replacing the old BM guide, they replaced the MW guide! Nice one, Bliz.
100 Night Elf Druid
generally speaking, people who want to know how to fix tank problems come to the tank forums, and not their class forums.

there's just too much noise about random crap in each class forum

I thought most class forums have a guide sticky for each spec. It makes more sense than the role forums having a guide sticky for each spec (imagine what the DPS forum would look like!).
90 Pandaren Monk
Where does agility and stamina fit in for stat weights? I'm looking to start playing brewmaster more, and I have the Relic of Nuizao and tomorrow I will have the Xuen one. Which one do you recommend in general, and which one do you recommend for a lesser geared tank like me (with the Nuizao trinket I have 444k unbuffed hp)? I have read that stamina is mediocre stat for monks because of how stagger works and that agility should be valued above everything after hit and expertise cap. Is that true?

For gemming, should I go for pure haste gems in yellows and hybrids in reds, or pure agi (after I cap my expertise) in reds and hybrids in yellow?

Thanks for the guide and the help getting started! :)

while agility is a good stat, it's not worth gemming for it.

The problem is that rating gems (haste/crit/hit/exp/mastery) have twice the number of dps stats gems (str/agi/int). So, unless the pure stat is twice as good as the rating, it's just better to gem with ratings.

What i'm currently doing is:

red = expertise
yellow = haste
blue = stam/haste.

The reason why i'm using stam/haste gems on blue slots (and not hit/haste) is that I'm way past the cap (around 800 rating), so I'm already reforging away from hit .. might as well toss an extra stamina here and there.

Initially, don't worry about stam. If you can afford a little here and there, great. For reference, I have 515k hp unbuffed.

As for the trinkets .. it boils down to personal preference. Xuen is more offensive while Niuzao is more defensive.

I use Niuzao because it gives me 25k hp and it's "use" effect is ~6.5% dodge that I can control. Which is handy to use often on specific mechanics with Elusive brew.

But Xuen is a very valid option as well, that is very good for ww (if it happens to be your offspec). It gives you around 0.8% dodge/crit and it's proc is around ~2.5% dodge/crit. The downside is that you can't control the proc, so you might have several wasted procs while tanking (eg. off tanking, switching targets .. during irrelevant moments etc).

they are both valid options .. it's up to you =)
Edited by Leeflow on 1/5/2013 7:09 PM PST
90 Pandaren Warrior
I thought most class forums have a guide sticky for each spec. It makes more sense than the role forums having a guide sticky for each spec (imagine what the DPS forum would look like!).

Haha, not anymore.

Warriors have Sam's fury sticky. The prot guides had to actually be unstickied.

Warlocks have one "basic" affl sticky.

I don't go to any other class forums, but I'd bet warlocks and warriors aren't the only one.
Edited by Ðemolition on 1/5/2013 7:31 PM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
DFHS
90 Draenei Monk
Where does agility and stamina fit in for stat weights? I'm looking to start playing brewmaster more, and I have the Relic of Nuizao and tomorrow I will have the Xuen one. Which one do you recommend in general, and which one do you recommend for a lesser geared tank like me (with the Nuizao trinket I have 444k unbuffed hp)? I have read that stamina is mediocre stat for monks because of how stagger works and that agility should be valued above everything after hit and expertise cap. Is that true?

For gemming, should I go for pure haste gems in yellows and hybrids in reds, or pure agi (after I cap my expertise) in reds and hybrids in yellow?

Thanks for the guide and the help getting started! :)

while agility is a good stat, it's not worth gemming for it.

The problem is that rating gems (haste/crit/hit/exp/mastery) have twice the number of dps stats gems (str/agi/int). So, unless the pure stat is twice as good as the rating, it's just better to gem with ratings.

What i'm currently doing is:

red = expertise
yellow = haste
blue = stam/haste.

The reason why i'm using stam/haste gems on blue slots (and not hit/haste) is that I'm way past the cap (around 800 rating), so I'm already reforging away from hit .. might as well toss an extra stamina here and there.

Initially, don't worry about stam. If you can afford a little here and there, great. For reference, I have 515k hp unbuffed.

As for the trinkets .. it boils down to personal preference. Xuen is more offensive while Niuzao is more defensive.

I use Niuzao because it gives me 25k hp and it's "use" effect is ~6.5% dodge that I can control. Which is handy to use often on specific mechanics with Elusive brew.

But Xuen is a very valid option as well, that is very good for ww (if it happens to be your offspec). It gives you around 0.8% dodge/crit and it's proc is around ~2.5% dodge/crit. The downside is that you can't control the proc, so you might have several wasted procs while tanking (eg. off tanking, switching targets .. during irrelevant moments etc).

they are both valid options .. it's up to you =)

Thanks for the help! :D

I think I'll stick with Nuizao then for now, at least until I get more stamina. I was getting Xuen for WW and thought it might be useful for BrM as well... but my to-be co tank has almost 600k unbuffed hp so I was a little worried about equipping it... thanks for the insight! :)
90 Pandaren Monk
01/05/2013 07:47 PMPosted by Runic
DFHS

?
1 Pandaren Warrior
I think he means "Don't forget heart strike".

Silly DK, this is a monk thread.
94 Blood Elf Paladin

Oh I thought he meant, don't have freaking shuffle.
90 Pandaren Monk
btw, added a detailed description on talents
90 Pandaren Monk
I might be wrong, but I think the new talent is called Ring of Peace, not Sanctuary.
100 Human Warrior

Aww, lookit the cute level 1!

HI RIDJA!
1 Pandaren Warrior
I'M CUDDLY SOFT

01/06/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Sheydrina
I might be wrong, but I think the new talent is called Ring of Peace, not Sanctuary.

The effect is called Sanctuary, but you're otherwise correct.
Edited by Rijdå on 1/7/2013 6:27 AM PST
Oh I just checked, the other guide did get stickied but brace yourselves for this...

Instead of replacing the old BM guide, they replaced the MW guide! Nice one, Bliz.

I'm writing an email to the forum moderators. Definitely a mistake.
1 Pandaren Warrior
What's this doing on page 2?
90 Pandaren Monk
Great guide, sticky requested. Your dungeon guide got me through Cata!
94 Blood Elf Paladin
01/10/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Rijdå
What's this doing on page 2?

I know right?
90 Pandaren Monk
because it's smarter to just make a new thread to QQ instead of trying to find other threads! =D
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]